disc drive broken can i use a usb?

hi

i got fm11 two weeks ago and installed via the disc. the drive on my laptop now wont open or work so i can put the disc in. when i launch game it asks for the disc to be inserted which i cant do.

i have copied the files from the disc to a usb with another laptop.

my question is when i launch the game how can i make it look at the usb and find what it wants instead of looking at the disc drive and not finidng the disc?

mark

I think you could click on my computer then the drive icon for your usb which should show the .exe file for fm, click on that and it should launch your game. Have never tried this myself so cant say for sure it'll work but is probably worth a go.

Should be able to open the drive using the emergency pin hole which would be a start, but if the drive is definitely u/s then it's a new drive needed.

Please don't discuss by passing the copy protection, ta.

could i un-install the game from the laptop, then using the copied files from the usb reinstall it but select steam reinstall instead of via the disc?

ive tried sticking all sorts in the eject hole but nothings worked - its likely due to the number of times its been dropped - thankfully its a work laptop so it shouldnt cost me.

But Steam should work, all you need is the activation code, right?

i would think so, if you have the game installed already, then i would think you only need the code, but personally i just buy from steam so im not 100% sure mate.

You could try installing it using the disk through steam using another computer then just install it again on your broken laptop without the need for the disk, that would work and is perfectly legal as long as only one version is used at a time.

Install Steam if you haven't already. On the library page there should be a button called something like "activate product on steam" (I haven't trried this on the latest version of steam, so I'm not 100% sure where it is). It should prompt you for an activation code - put in the code from the back of your FM manual and (fingers crossed) it should download and install FM.

i would think so, if you have the game installed already, then i would think you only need the code, but personally i just buy from steam so im not 100% sure mate.

You could try installing it using the disk through steam using another computer then just install it again on your broken laptop without the need for the disk, that would work and is perfectly legal as long as only one version is used at a time.

Or install it on someone's computer who won't play the game (child/gf/parent) and then take it off afterwards.

Install Steam if you haven't already. On the library page there should be a button called something like "activate product on steam" (I haven't trried this on the latest version of steam, so I'm not 100% sure where it is). It should prompt you for an activation code - put in the code from the back of your FM manual and (fingers crossed) it should download and install FM.

totally agree. i always buy the disc version but install through steam.

Archived