Selling players and then regretting it.

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering what everyone's biggest transfer mistake is when it comes to players you've sold?

Did you have a player who you didn't think would be any good and turns out to be a world beater at a different club?

I had a regen striker who could barely score. So I decided to cash in on him, he ended up putting 25 goals in the next season for his new club and then scored a minimum of 15 goals per season up until now. So I kinda of regret that one! :(

I remember once, me & a mate were doing a network save on an older FM, I was Celtic, he was Rangers, I had injuries, so I had to play Kjartan Finnbogason, but he was useless, so I transfer listed him, my mate signed him off me for £1m, didn't do much for him either, apart from score the winner against me which won him the title that year, wasn't pleased to say the least lol.

At Liverpool on one game, signed Pastore, he didn't perform after 2 seasons(While usually I alter my formation to accommodate others, this game I was insistent on players fitting into my formation instead), offloaded him to Man City where he dominated the team for about 5-6 seasons.

Normally though I tend to get annoyed that players I've offloaded have done well afterwards, as I usually offload players aged 29-30 to get the most cash for them, with a few exceptions. So they generally have a couple of good seasons left if not more, but I console myself knowing that if I'd kept them a couple of seasons further, they'd have lost half their value, whereas I got full whack for them and could spend it on either a younger replacement, or keep it and promote a youth player. I remember on one Liverpool game I had, Robben, Ronaldo, Dzeko, Wilson, Agger, offloaded them all for very large sums of money when they approached 30 or had just passed it. Got about 15, 45, 27, 16, and 20 million quid respectively, not bad considering I'd paid 0,35, 0, 0, 0 for them!

Never annoyed selling players to see them go on and do well because some players just don't perform in your tactic or for your team for whatever reason. More annoyed usually a couple months after selling your best player. Obviously I know but you spend ages, especially with smaller clubs, barely make money and you think "£3 million would help the club loads"...so you decide you have to cash in....then realise when your down about 15 goals, just lacking that final quality, that you'd rather have the player back than your bank account and budget looking pretty.

Basically any striker I have ever sold to a club in the same division has ultimately made me regret doing so. On quite a few occasions, I've intentionally snubbed clubs in my league and sent a striker abroad, only for him to come back to haunt me in a European competition instead. The worst one was Andy Carroll on FM08. Sold him to Portsmouth while playing as Everton, and he played the best part of a decade on the south coast, making sure to score at least a goal per game against me. Didn't help that Portsmouth got kind of decent, and were at one stage challenging yours truly for the Premiership, so he was rifling them in whenever we played.

At the same time, I do enjoy selling a regen I know is never going to be quite good enough to make my team, and then keeping an eye on his career. Particularly if I change jobs and can go back and sign him several years down the line.

easy. last game for man u on 11.2, sold hernandez for 14m to napoli, as he was behind roo, babacar and an amazing regen for the one striker position and i wanted him out the country. six months later arsenal buy him back for 39m and he scores like 30 goals in 15 games for them in the second half of the season, sending arsenal 1 point behind me and taking the top scorer award away from roo. total nightmare...but then 11.3 came along and saved me

Had a Romanian regen in FM08 for Chelsea, had fantastic stats for a striker but just never seemed to cut it for me. Flogged him for £9m to AC Milan where he became the best player in the world, breaking all records, he was phenomenal, scored 5 goals against me over 2 legs in the Champs League. His progress annoyed me so much I paid £45m to bring him back. He then averaged around 18 goals a season for the next 5 years or so, then got injured and was never the same player for me or anyone else. Probably the most frustrating player I've ever had.

I had a German newgen on FM 10 with just godlike stats, 19-20 in all the fields you need for a great striker. I could never get him firing for me so when he was around 22 or so I loaned him out to Palermo. He blasted like 29 goals in Serie A so I thought he was a ready to score for me. Brought him back and he hit like 4 in 35 for me so I sold him on to Inter. Ended up scoring over 350 goals in Serie A. I guess he just like Italy.

Had a Romanian regen in FM08 for Chelsea, had fantastic stats for a striker but just never seemed to cut it for me. Flogged him for £9m to AC Milan where he became the best player in the world, breaking all records, he was phenomenal, scored 5 goals against me over 2 legs in the Champs League. His progress annoyed me so much I paid £45m to bring him back. He then averaged around 18 goals a season for the next 5 years or so, then got injured and was never the same player for me or anyone else. Probably the most frustrating player I've ever had.

Some players are just destined for certain clubs, i get the same when it comes to tall strikers, they fail in my team, but then become awesome for others...

It's not so much that i regret selling him, i'm just gutted at the monster transfer fee Liverpool received for this regen, after buying him from me for £7m. No way Barca would have paid me that much for him!

annastats.jpg

annaprice.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In all fairness, he was superb for Liverpool! He cam runner up in the World Player of the Year one year. But has been poor/average for Barca. A case of suiting the Premier League more than La Liga?

Archived