Agents - again.

An agent asks me for a signing on fee so I give it to him for the player to then turn around and say that he feels his agent should get more (after waiting 9 days for an answer).

So in what world, apart from the FM world, do players demand more money for there agents? What the hell does it have to do with a player what his agent gets?! The player does not negotiate for his agent, it's the other way around.

I honestly cant remember a more irritatingly broken feature added to any version of FM. For crying out loud, lose them, or fix them. I'm so frustrated after the final patch that this agent crap is still here. I thought they were supposed to be toned down? If anything they have got worse with there ridiculous demands.

For me, this is the worst FM to date after the final patch release. I'm really not having fun anymore because of agents.

An agent asks me for a signing on fee so I give it to him for the player to then turn around and say that he feels his agent should get more (after waiting 9 days for an answer).

So in what world, apart from the FM world, do players demand more money for there agents? What the hell does it have to do with a player what his agent gets?! The player does not negotiate for his agent, it's the other way around.

I honestly cant remember a more irritatingly broken feature added to any version of FM. For crying out loud, lose them, or fix them. I'm so frustrated after the final patch that this agent crap is still here. I thought they were supposed to be toned down? If anything they have got worse with there ridiculous demands.

For me, this is the worst FM to date after the final patch release. I'm really not having fun anymore because of agents.

i know it happens to me too. i think in this patch the agents are broken. i had a player who had 115k/ year and his agent wanted 1,1 mill/ year wage and another 1,1 mill for himself. and i manage in brasil

Since a player relys almost entirely on keeping their agent sweet, would they not want to treat them well?

A good working relationship is more likely to see the agent get his player a better wage in the future.

Look at the court case surrounding Stewart Downing and his agent to see why a player wouldn't want to irk his agent.

Since a player relys almost entirely on keeping their agent sweet, would they not want to treat them well?

A good working relationship is more likely to see the agent get his player a better wage in the future.

Look at the court case surrounding Stewart Downing and his agent to see why a player wouldn't want to irk his agent.

No, the agent keeps the player sweet, it is not the other way around. Agents are a dime a dozen, high end players are not. Agents do not run the show.

A good working relationship requires the agent negotiating good deals for the players that employ them. Again, not the other way around. The agent does not ask the player that employs him if his signing on fee is okay, for goodness sake. Thats just ridiculous.

Agent - "Hey, I got you a deal, do you think my signing on fee is okay? Or do you think I should ask for even more and maybe completely ruin a move for you even though your wages and signing on fee are phenomenal and I did actually request for my own signing on fee because I thought it was decent?"

Player - "yeah, sure Mr agent, ask for a bigger signing on fee for yourself, it doesn't matter that this is my dream club, I love the manager, and I finally get to leave Stoke for Manchester utd. In fact, I don't even care about my own career anymore as you're obviously way more important. Go for it boss, get what you can, and if you're not happy with what you originally asked for I'll let them know and wont sign for them because that was part of my job description when you hired me ...:rolleyes:"

I just cant fathom how some people can defend this. They either haven't thought about it properly or they are just SI sycophants who will never question there integrity no matter what the game churns out as a 'new feature'.

I do understand that this is a new feature but for people to defend it because of this reason is just wrong. Before putting a new feature in to sell more copies (I for one don't need shiny new stuff on boxes to make me buy FM :rolleyes: ), make sure it works first. If it doesn't, don't put it in, just wait until the next version. I don't think it will effect sales. In fact, I think the most of the FM market become more annoyed with broken features that should never have been put in until they actually work properly. It spoils a perfectly good game.

It's a mutual relationship.

Much like I need to respect my boss because he pays my wages, my boss needs to respect me because I do a job for him. If you think your agent is the kind that will get you ludicrous fees (a la Zahavi), then you want to make sure he sees you as a top client, ie, he will make a lot of money from negotiating you a top contract. We don't know what situation the OP was in, if the player is desperate to move, then maybe the agent fee is less important.

I will defend SI quite often because anyone actually affiliated with SI needs to hold back their opinions somewhat for obvious reasons, and a lot of the abuse thrown their way is utterly ridiculous.

Agent: Good news. They've agreed to the £100k signing-on fee.

Player: Great! I needed that for the new house.

Agent: But you only get £80k, because 20% comes to me.

Player: Eh? But I need the whole £100k!

Agent: Well, not my problem. If you want that after my 20%, we'll do the sums. But I can't go back to the club and ask for more. You need to do that.

Player: But you're my agent.

Agent: Yes. But I also need to maintain a good relationship with clubs if I want to be able to do business with them in future. It'll work out best for both of us. Trust me.

Player to club: £100k isn't enough after all, de blah de blah blah.

It's a mutual relationship.

Much like I need to respect my boss because he pays my wages, my boss needs to respect me because I do a job for him. If you think your agent is the kind that will get you ludicrous fees (a la Zahavi), then you want to make sure he sees you as a top client, ie, he will make a lot of money from negotiating you a top contract. We don't know what situation the OP was in, if the player is desperate to move, then maybe the agent fee is less important.

I will defend SI quite often because anyone actually affiliated with SI needs to hold back their opinions somewhat for obvious reasons, and a lot of the abuse thrown their way is utterly ridiculous.

I'm not disputing the fact that it's a 'mutual relationship'. Your boss is still your boss and even with 'mutual respect' there are lines that you don't cross and as much as your boss respects you, don't be mistaken, you're the one who works for them and they can fire you.

Not at any point did I abuse SI, I was just making a point about how broken the agents are. And as for you feeling the need to blindly defend them, even if somebody makes a very valid point (at least thats the impression I got from your last sentence), I think they're big enough and ugly enough to look after themselves if they ever feel it's warranted

@Damian - If Messi's father negotiated the contract (which he would because thats what his job is) he would ask for a signing on fee for himself and his son. He asked for his own signing on fee because he was happy with that. Why would his son then turn around and say "thats not enough for my father and I won't be signing for you even though I'm the one who wants to move to this club, not my father". It's so far fetched and the probability of it happening in reality would have to be very very slim.

Agent: Good news. They've agreed to the £100k signing-on fee.

Player: Great! I needed that for the new house.

Agent: But you only get £80k, because 20% comes to me.

Player: Eh? But I need the whole £100k!

Agent: Well, not my problem. If you want that after my 20%, we'll do the sums. But I can't go back to the club and ask for more. You need to do that.

Player: But you're my agent.

Agent: Yes. But I also need to maintain a good relationship with clubs if I want to be able to do business with them in future. It'll work out best for both of us. Trust me.

Player to club: £100k isn't enough after all, de blah de blah blah.

But that isn't how it works in the game. The agent does not ask for a percentage of the players signing on fee. He asks for his own signing on fee and the player gets his own signing on fee.

Your argument is just a role playing scenario you completely made up.

. Agents do not run the show.

Ahh, so naive...

Who do you think is at the heart of ridiculous wages for the top end players??? Do you really think that some teenager from rural Brazil (for example) reall and truly understands the ramifications of being paid £10k a week. I'll bet you that the VAST majority of players don't really care how much they are paid as long as they are playing football, after all how many people do you know who spend thier whole lives devoted to something in order to sit around and watch other people do it.

Agents run the modern game with themselves in mind... Why do they demand large wages/signing on fees??? Because they get a cut thats why. I can't remember any names but I remember an article in 4-4-2 a year or so ago about players from Africa basiclly being snaped up by what can only really be called 'predatory agents' who have only a quick buck in mind, not the well-being of tthier client.

Back on topic: I personlly don't like having to pay agents large amounts of money, but its just something you have to deal with.

If you have nothing constructive to add to the thread then don't post in here.

ignore him, some people just have to act that way. personally dont have too many issues when negotiating with them but, it does feel a little flawed, but expect it to be tweaked for fm12. certainly cant agree its the worst final patch FM. Do you forget the state of 09? That was the whole reason FM10 was about "polishing" :p

Ahh, so naive...

Who do you think is at the heart of ridiculous wages for the top end players??? Do you really think that some teenager from rural Brazil (for example) reall and truly understands the ramifications of being paid £10k a week. I'll bet you that the VAST majority of players don't really care how much they are paid as long as they are playing football, after all how many people do you know who spend thier whole lives devoted to something in order to sit around and watch other people do it.

Agents run the modern game with themselves in mind... Why do they demand large wages/signing on fees??? Because they get a cut thats why. I can't remember any names but I remember an article in 4-4-2 a year or so ago about players from Africa basiclly being snaped up by what can only really be called 'predatory agents' who have only a quick buck in mind, not the well-being of tthier client.

Back on topic: I personlly don't like having to pay agents large amounts of money, but its just something you have to deal with.

One of my problems was the fact that my player wasn't happy with what the agent asked for. This isn't the players business. The player has nothing to do with what the agent asks for and accepts for himself. If thats the case then why is the player going to demand I pay the agent more than he asked for? Simple answer is that he isn't. You just pretty much proved my point by saying what you said.

It looks like you've not really read the thread or you would have seen exactly what my problem was. You've just responded to a rather small sentence in some rather big posts with a lot more to say and talk about than you've suggested. This discussion was never about 14 year old African/Brazilian players being taken for a ride by some immoral agents, or if players care so much about what they get paid. This is about players demanding more money for there agents when there agents are negotiating contracts for themselves.

Also, it's not about me being annoyed at having to pay agents money. For the record, I'm not, I'm annoyed at how broken they are.

I dont get what you mean here dking.

If the player has an agent you wont conduct any contract negoatiaitions with the player. You'll only have discussions with the agent.

Yes, thats whats bothering me. I negotiated a contract with an agent for a player, I then got a message 9 days later saying the player thinks the agent should get a bigger signing on fee and this was one of the reasons he turned me down. Something seriously wrong with that, right? Or at least I think so.

Archived