What will make a free transfer want to enter into contract talks with you...

Playing the the Conference with St. Albans, been able to create a decent team and I feel that I am shy 2/3 players that will help me win the league and finally take them into League two.

I normally plunder the youngsters that are free transferred, this was enough for me to win the Conf. South. In the Conf. though I needed more experience (managed to finish 3rd but my CB ended up being my top league scorer with 10 goals - All from corners). Tried signing players that were on the way down or had been playing in and around the league above i.e. Patrick Aguemang (spelling?)

Anyways, I had a list of about 35 players that remaind on the free transfer list as they did not want to sign for me (some of them were a little more abitious than others but sometimes you do manage to nab the big fish). I played my season and half way through 2 of them decided to sign up, once the season was over and I lost the play off final a large number decided to start chatting - Why is this? I am still in the same division as before and still expected to finish no where near the play offs.

Reason I am asking is because Benik Afobe has just gone on a free and he would almost complete my team - Although he's not interested as of right now.

its a sham eit has slightly changed since older versions. They would say they werent intrested but ou could still offer them something. I think in the next verison if they are not intrested yu should be able to ask them what they want to become intrested. Maybe well over budget but worth seeing. In your case im not completly sure. However ive started a save with plymouth and im in the second season. not spent a penny yet and im finding it difficult trying to attract championship quality players. whats the most annoying for me tho is when you go to offer player a contract and he want more that you can ffer so the talks break down. Then you get more wage budget to spend then he doesnt want to talk again. Argh!!!

i would use player search myself with unrealistic targets removed by your assistant. then scout to see what sort of wages the player wants and if they are really interested. the problem i had when i was down in the non league was a lot of players were interested but i couldnt afford to pay the wages without breaking my structure.

truth is finding the players who you can afford can be very time consuming but if it helps take you to the next level then its so worth it.

you could also have a backroom meeting to see if your staff recommend anyone who would join

I would imagine the longer a player remains a free agent, the more willing they are to negotiate with lower reputation clubs. There may be nothing you can do to tempt Afobe or other players now, but if they remain a free agent for the next 6 months or so they may be willing to lower their ambitions slightly.

I would imagine the longer a player remains a free agent, the more willing they are to negotiate with lower reputation clubs. There may be nothing you can do to tempt Afobe or other players now, but if they remain a free agent for the next 6 months or so they may be willing to lower their ambitions slightly.

I have noticed that as well. As it should be IMO. It has been way too easy to pick up players on a free and immediately become a playoff contender.

Although I was playing before and I had two players that entered into contract talks with Darlington (Conf. North) and York (the team I butt-****ed in the play off semi finals the season before) and neither even wanted to hear what I had to offer.

I will try improving the facilities and see how that goes, cheers.

Archived