Pre-season tournaments

One feature of the game that I do like is being able to set up a pre-season tournament. This years, as manager of Glasgow Rangers I set up the 'Ibrox Tournament.' One was actually hosted in the mid nineties.

4 teams played each other on a knock-out basis, these were: Rangers (hosts), Manchester United, Valencia and Santos. In the opening round Rangers lost to Santos on penalties following a 3-3 draw, whilst Manchester United beat Valencia.

In the 3/4 playoff Valencia beat Rangers 4-3 who succumbed to a stoppage time winner, whilst Manchester United beat Santos to win the inaugral trophy.

The tournament was a massive success bringing sell-out crowds and I plan to organise another one for next-season. Such tournaments give usual run-of the mill friendlies a competitive edge, and provide a little more excitement for the fans as well.

Examples of other pre-season tournaments include The Emirates Cup and the (perhaps most famous) Amsterdam tournament.

Do any FM players set up their own pre-season tournamnents??

Never knew of this feature, care to let me know how to use it? :)

When setting upa friendly fixture, click on the box that says friendly and it will expand to Friendly,Tour, Cup or League.

Friendly - one off game

Tour - play a friendly against a side from any country in the world.

Cup - A knock out tournament involving 4 sides

League - Mini-league format involving 4 sides.

When setting upa friendly fixture, click on the box that says friendly and it will expand to Friendly,Tour, Cup or League.

Friendly - one off game

Tour - play a friendly against a side from any country in the world.

Cup - A knock out tournament involving 4 sides

League - Mini-league format involving 4 sides.

Thanks! :)

The annoying thing about friendly cups is that they are played on consecutive days.

That's how they do it in real life too.

I do indulge in creating my own pre-season tournaments if I'm in charge of a big club. Sometimes I invite smaller clubs who need the money. I see it as a good deed. :D

I don't like it how Friendly Cup wins count as Cup wins on your CV though.

Yeah, it's quite pointless if you ask me. It's not as if IRL a friendly cup is considered big - even the bigger ones like the 'Emirates Cup' wouldn't be considered a minor cup competition.

Archived