Explanations?

So its Stoke vs Liverpool, we dominate all game, end up going 1 down, pulling 1 back, then losing in last minute.

They had 5 shots, we had 19. Ok, very annoying, and its happened a few times, could happen, but a lil unrealisitic, but oh well.

The thing that really really annoyed me, was 9/19 shots, were long shots.

Every single player had long shots on rarely, and had the touchline shouts of work ball into box and retain possession.

This understandly drove me mad, and probably caused the loss, which therefore subsequently makes it unrealisitic.

So its Stoke vs Liverpool, we dominate all game, end up going 1 down, pulling 1 back, then losing in last minute.

They had 5 shots, we had 19. Ok, very annoying, and its happened a few times, could happen, but a lil unrealisitic, but oh well.

Every single player had long shots on rarely, and had the touchline shouts of work ball into box and retain possession.

This understandly drove me mad, and probably caused the loss, which therefore subsequently makes it unrealisitic.

You first point about losting even though you dominated the game, it happens more then you think. Being a Blackpool fan I have seen this happen number of times this season, the two that jump out being Tottenham at home and Sunderland away, where there must have been 50+ shots against Blackpool (in the two games combined) yet Blackpool won both games and only conceded 1, lucky game, against Tottenham.

What was your creative freedom set as for your team? if you give them the freedom they will sometimes not listen to your tactics and take the long shots if they see them

Its not unrealistic and setting all your long shots to rarely is only papering over the problems with your tactic.

Players take long shots when they run out of options and you need to look at things like:

A) Mentality - The more attacking it is the more a player moves forwards and plays a ball forwards. Lowering mentality with encourage keeping possession playing balls sideways & backwards until gaps appear in the defence. Its also not a good idea to have a lot of players on a high mentality as this results in lots of players running away from the ball when you gain possession rather than making themselves available for passes.

B) Passing range - Encouraging shorter passing is no good if there are no open players to receive a pass. Widening the range opens up more passing opportunities.

C) Tempo - A quick tempo means players rush, allowing them more time means they can spot gaps and other passing opportunities.

D) Play wider - Against a defensive team who are counter attacking you need to stretch the defence and drag them out of shape to create gaps.

I hate saying this but it's your tactics.

Your players are shooting from range because they don't have a better option. I'm playing at a much lower level where players have far less skill (I'm not even in the conference yet) and I usually end up with under 10% of my shots are from range and that is playing a lone striker.

I would write up an essay about what you need to look at but Cougar2010 has pretty much summed it up. You need to look at giving your midfielders & strikers more options with the ball so they can actually find a good pass rather than having to take a long shot.

As far as my understanding of the long shots issue goes, if a player doesn't have a decent option to pass (or can't see that he has that option) the player will take a long shot, regardless of whether or not they are set to rarely. It's annoying but that just seems how it is. If you set your team to more attacking, they are less likely to see the option of passing back, and so will take more long shots. The only way I found to counter it was to play with a compact midfield (at least 3 men playing in the centre). This meant the man on the ball always had the option of a short pass, so rarely took on a longer shot.

I hate saying this but it's your tactics.

Your players are shooting from range because they don't have a better option. I'm playing at a much lower level where players have far less skill (I'm not even in the conference yet) and I usually end up with under 10% of my shots are from range and that is playing a lone striker.

I would write up an essay about what you need to look at but Cougar2010 has pretty much summed it up. You need to look at giving your midfielders & strikers more options with the ball so they can actually find a good pass rather than having to take a long shot.

Needs to be said again, this happens.. bayern - inter 2-3.. inter not dominating and scoring last goal.. rest is quoted :)

Like I said, im not fussed about the result, more about the long shots issue.

My tactics were attacking, short passing, more expressive, push up, quick, wide.

Touchline shouts of retain possesion, pass to feet and work ball into box.

Archived