Are we FM-ers snobs?

I saw a post somewhere in the GD forum about adding a new feature (something about being able to control a certain player, a truly silly idea at any rate) and the response to the thread was magical. Things like "Best first post ever" and "This is not FIFA". It was the FIFA one that got me.

Over the past couple of years, people have suggested various things, one of which tends to come up a lot is a "Stadium Editor". Also, many many people take a deft view of using an editor to cheat your way through the game, something which I did when I first started playing FM (06) but I since ceased, perhaps due to my snobbiness! Having seen the aforementioned post/s and the subsequent replies it sort of dawned on me that FM-ers really are snobs!

Now, dont get me wrong, I am most definitely one of them. I would never accept a Stadium Editor or the ability to take control of a player in FM, it would become to......arcadey, if you get me.

This indeed, is not PES or FIFA.

Therefor, I conclude that we are snobs...but all the better for it!

Not snobs.

We're playing a football management game, and quite simply want to keep it that way without silly gimmicks such as "we need chairman mode", and "wouldn't it be great if you could spend the money you earn?"

I think there's a lot of hypocrisy about this type of thing. People are quick to point out that it's a football MANAGEMENT game but how many managers negotiate the funding terms of a transfer deal or are solely responsible for contract discussions with agents for that matter?

People want realism ... just so long as it doesn't stop them doing what they want!

I think we are snobs to be honest, and occassionally it gets on my nerves when some people on the forum jump on someone who just made a suggestion as to what they'd like to see in the game. You might not want it, but do they deserve to be ridiculed? Also, I agree with drmanley, we only want realism as far as it suits us.

Things like "Best first post ever"

I'll take the credit for that one, glad you enjoyed it.

I think we are snobs to be honest, and occassionally it gets on my nerves when some people on the forum jump on someone who just made a suggestion as to what they'd like to see in the game. You might not want it, but do they deserve to be ridiculed? Also, I agree with drmanley, we only want realism as far as it suits us.

Yes, but there are suggestions, and then there was this inbred cousin of an idea, devoid of any merit whatsoever.

I mean, it's not as if he even wanted to control a player during a match - which I suppose could have been reminiscent of Player Manager back in the Kick Off days. No, this chuff wanted to have the option to control a player so that he could, um, say "yes" or "no" to a contract offer... and that was about the limit of the idea.

C'mon, that is pretty special, right?

I think there's a lot of hypocrisy about this type of thing. People are quick to point out that it's a football MANAGEMENT game but how many managers negotiate the funding terms of a transfer deal or are solely responsible for contract discussions with agents for that matter?

People want realism ... just so long as it doesn't stop them doing what they want!

Your actually pretty spot on here, I doubt the likes of Fergie, Wenger, King Kenny, get involved in the actually contract negotiation with players, they simply go to the board and say "I want him, make it happen, Please". I had never actually though of that before!!

And yes, of course we are snobs!!! We been spolit rotten for many years!!

I'll take the credit for that one, glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, but there are suggestions, and then there was this inbred cousin of an idea, devoid of any merit whatsoever.

I mean, it's not as if he even wanted to control a player during a match - which I suppose could have been reminiscent of Player Manager back in the Kick Off days. No, this chuff wanted to have the option to control a player so that he could, um, say "yes" or "no" to a contract offer... and that was about the limit of the idea.

C'mon, that is pretty special, right?

Football agent mode?

I'm not saying it was a great idea, I just think he didn't really deserve the abuse he got, and it's not just that incident, it happens a lot on these forums.

If it helps people to think before they type, it can only be a good thing for the future of this forum ;-)

Last edited by drmanley; 16-03-2011 at 15:23. Reason: Spelling!

Anyone who edits their post due to poor spelling is a snob in my eyes :D

Now you have mentioned this something i would like to see is the bidding and contract offering binned and introduce a feature where we ask the board to sign a player.

Much more realistic.

I totally agree!

And to begin with I think lumping "I want to control one player", "I want stadium editor" and "I want Chairman/DoF mode" together is the first hint of elitism and of, if you will, Britishcentrism.

Chairman- or DoF-mode aren't "gimmicky" options like spending your wage on an in-game car or mansion... Such a game mode would be another realistic way to play, especially in countries (pretty much everywhere in the world but the UK) where the idea of "Manager" is much closer to the one of "Head coach".

But I'm digressing...

Are some of us in here annoying elitists? Yes they are, but that's what happens when you've been a die-hard fan of the best (and only...) game in its genre... Anything unfamiliar is instantly regarded as either lame, unnecessary or game-breaking... even when it could deserve at least a try...

I mean, what devastating effect on the game could a Stadium Editor have?

P.S. in the name of realism, we should make IMPOSSIBLE winning a Champions League with Bumfluff FC or, to be harsh, even with the likes of Everton (at least not in a matter of 4-5 seasons).

But as said, "realism" is a key factor as long as it doesn't get in the way of our delusions of grandeur ;)

I'm not a snob...

I'm an addict... and I don't want anything adding to the game that 'dilutes my fix' and peripheral guff would do that...

I first played CM2, I've seen the game evolve into FM11 over the years and the addiction has stayed constant because, whilst the mechanics may have changed, the core of the game has remained the same. Players, Tactics, Training, Matches (it's all we need ;) )

I don't think we are snobs at all we just appreciate that FM tries to be as realistic as possible and by adding modes such as - control a player, stadium building or agent/chairman mode, it moves away from being a realistic Football Management sim. I actually like FIFA and PES but not the management mode, I just like to pick up the control pad and have a 30 minute blast.

On a side note though I would like to see a stadium editor in the game editor so if people wanted to they could create a stadium for their newly created team, or change the colour of seats or even recreate old trafford.

im a total snob i have to admit. a friend of mine used to talk to me about fm until a month ago when i found out the used genie scout. i now totally refuse to talk to him about the game and ignore him if he mentions it! i also wont talk to people who i consider to be bad at the game, im far too full of myself

Archived