My star player is a pain in the bum.

Last season I noticed my team were having loads of long shots and never scoring or hitting the target, wasting good decent chances by launching it. So I reduced everyone to longshot rarely. It didnt solve it. I was still having about 80% longshots.

Then eventually I noticed all those longshots were caused by 1 player, my captain and star player. He has long shots of 10, plays midfield and has scored once in 6 month. But I couldnt figure why he kept doing it and wasting chances and costing us vital points even though I told him not to in the tactics.

Then, a few months later I spotted 'shoots from distance' in his prefered moves. Ah, problem solved. Private chat, stop doing that. Back to setting up my strikers who can finish.. Not quite, the player didnt think that would benifit his game so he refused. Annoying little get. Another 3 or 4 months on, I still cant ask him again as its blanked out, probably because its considered too soon, or he flat out refuses.

And hes still launching the ball into row Z 10 times a game... I have to play him though, hes by far my best player.

csb

Reduce the amount of creative freedom he has as well as setting his long shots to rarely and maybe use touchline shouts pass to feet and work ball into box. This won't completely override his long shots ppm but in combination should help regn in his tendency to shoot from range a bit.

Also since he won't unlearn long shots it might be worth asking him to learn looks for pass rather than attempting to shoot to counter the other ppm.

Last season I noticed my team were having loads of long shots and never scoring or hitting the target, wasting good decent chances by launching it. So I reduced everyone to longshot rarely. It didnt solve it. I was still having about 80% longshots.

Then eventually I noticed all those longshots were caused by 1 player, my captain and star player. He has long shots of 10, plays midfield and has scored once in 6 month. But I couldnt figure why he kept doing it and wasting chances and costing us vital points even though I told him not to in the tactics.

Then, a few months later I spotted 'shoots from distance' in his prefered moves. Ah, problem solved. Private chat, stop doing that. Back to setting up my strikers who can finish.. Not quite, the player didnt think that would benifit his game so he refused. Annoying little get. Another 3 or 4 months on, I still cant ask him again as its blanked out, probably because its considered too soon, or he flat out refuses.

And hes still launching the ball into row Z 10 times a game... I have to play him though, hes by far my best player.

csb

keep him away from the penalty area :p

I would probably set him to long shots rarely, change his individual training to shooting (or technique, or composure)+ increase his shooting training schedule.

also try making sure that he *always* has a pass on around the penalty area, cut down on his opportunities a little and maybe even reduce/increase his mentality and creative freedom sliders...

I already have him on little creative freedom and longshots rarely. Its definately the prefered move thing as hes the only one that does it when playing that position and prefered moves has been blanked out all season in the private chats. I dont really want to sell him, hes 21 has loads of potential, and my captain which will probably disrupt the team.

I just have to hope that I can talk about prefered moves again sometime and this time he accepts.

if you can't stop him doing it, train him to make him better at it... :s

Good thinking. I never thought of that, Thats what I'm goiing to do. I was just in the 'stop it' frame of thinking rather than encouraging him to get better at it.

If he consistantly blows your chances, how can he be your star? Even if he gets high ratings, you may still find that you do better if you sell him. Another player is likely to rise to fill his shoes.

Other than that, and training him to get better, you might want to try some other PPM's. First time shots, shoots with power, looks for pass rather than shot and places shots are the ones that come to mind. Might work, no harm in trying...

Because I'm in the BS league, he is 21, my captain, by far and away my best player (statswise), could probably be a championship player and is likely to get better, and to find another player like that, at my level with no money would be almost impossible and I dont really have any natural replacements.

I'm finding because of his obssesion with longshots I have to keep leaving him out though, or taking him off if I need a win. If a decent offer comes in I might let him go maybe.

move him from midfield. if his stats are that good, he'd probably still kill in any position, regardless of what he's trained to play. get him up front, and his long shot chances will diminish, as he'll be in more situations that rely on his finishing. or, move him to the wing, again it'll cut down the chances of a long shot, as due to the angle he will have to cross more often. you may dilute his quality a tad as your playing him out of position, but the team as a whole will benifit.

Finally, after a whole year I can ask him again. Lets just hope I dont mess it up and have to wait another year.

...Ah balls, he said no again

Archived