Strangest place you've found good youngsters

Wheres the strangest place you've found good youngsters, that are able to make a good impact in the league you're in after a few years? Like Charlie Austin for example, going from Poole to Swindon and making an instant impact.

Do these kind of situations ever tend to occur in FM?

Found a Bermuda newgen on my current save, not a bad litttle player for me in BSP [potential sometimes to be between Championship - League 1 so that's good enough for me!], 18 flair and 11 dribbling so he runs around people for fun in non-league :D

Never one to miss a good opportunity for a bit of banter - OP, you really need to reconsider the thread title unless you want all sorts of inappropriate replies ;)

Never realised that! But hey, everyone for their own!

I signed a winger from L2 Brentford when I was L1 Swindon... the unluckiest Wonderkid ever. He played for me for 8/9 seasons before going to Chelsea and Leicester. He played in all four divisions before he was 19yo. Got 3 England call-ups... never made a single squad. Injury hampered his development so much that he became a Wonderkid several times but never quite 'got there'.

Also got a Nigerian MC/AMC/FC from Heartland, a Romanian AML from some obscure Romanian club (I forget...)and I signed a WK/Midfield General/WC Midfielder from L1 Sheff Wed when Swindon were massive...

I forget many.. *shrugs*

Some guy from Toronto FC, Would've been world class if i worked him into my team more, but got him really young and he never got the chance. (He was a defender and im not good at developing youth defenders)

Found this guy on Expiring contracts, He couldnt sign a pro contract cuz of a longterm injury, Snapped him up :D

2zhqsjr.png

There is an easier way to work on this. But since you are in the business of finding the next big thing, I assume you have sufficient amount of money to spend to acquire these youngsters.

To find these youngsters, you need good amount of scouting coverage, and a good number of scouts of course! I've been using this method years ago, and it still work.

After around 1 week when the season start (from your second season onwards), on your players filter, choose age 18 and below. Obviously lots of stats would be missing, but look at the promising stats and figure out which one could be worth scouting. If you looking for centreback, the first thing I would look is jumping. Should other key stats looks good as well (tackling, positioning, team work, etc), then send your scouts to see whether they are worth it and to know the rest of the stats as well.

If it is striker the first thing I look for is finishing, and then I look for off the ball, his physical attributes, etc.

I found loads of quality regens (or newgens) with this method. Too many in fact! I'm playing with notts county and half of my squad are fill with youngsters.

In this edition of FM, it seems that physical attributes are much more important than the previous edition of FM. It would be great to have skillful players, but given the choice of choosing players that has the potential to be say, leading premiership players, between

i) developing players who is skillful but needs to improve his physical attributes,

ii) developing either strong/speedy/tall players and improve their skills,

I'll take the physically inclined players every time.

I've found players from all weird places. It is one of the most fun part of the game, developing your own youngsters.

Never one to miss a good opportunity for a bit of banter - OP, you really need to reconsider the thread title unless you want all sorts of inappropriate replies ;)

Indeed, I was expecting a flurry of comments regarding Gary Glitter, Thailand and Cambodia... the fact that there weren't says more about my sick sense of humour than anything else.

Not found many at all in my save. Israel, I think, the most unusual.

Other than that, it's mainly the usual places like Spain, France, Italy, Brazil etc.

I have got a Scottish wonderkid striker, does that count as strange? :p

A scottish wonderkid? Time for the world to cave in on itself!

Managing Nottingham Forest I sent a scout to Ireland as he had great knowledge of the country and he came back with a 16 year old wonderkid from a very obscure team (I forget).

I offered him a contract but he snubbed the bid and joined Arsenal instead!

Also got a regen come through into my youth team on my Manchester United save called Marc Parker. According to my scouts he is the most gifted player of his generation at 15 and has the potential to be better than Wayne Rooney :D

Back in 2015 on my FM10 game, I found a promising young left winger playing for Arsenal. That is, Berekum Arsenal who play their football in Ghana!

He wasn't quite good enough to ever be considered world class, but he was a capable squad player for my Villa team for a number of years, and having signed him for just 70k, I sold him to Atalanta for 20.5m ten years later.

Archived