Be thankful for what we have!

I really enjoy reading these forums, I generally read more than I post. Recently I couldn't help but noticed the sheer volume of people unhappy with this years game, which does frustrate me. I feel some FM fans are taking this game and SI a bit for granted!

For the record, I think every years game has been an improvement on the last, and I'm thoroughly enjoying this years version.

OK, so I read topic after topic after topic about how crap this version is, how its full of bugs that will never be fixed, I find this really disappointing; (mostly because I haven't noticed them, and i find the game VERY playable indeed). I do agree that if you purchase something you are entitled to get value for money, I work in business myself and customer satisfaction is vitally important to create a successful product and brand. So lets look at the competition, and define what value for money is in this market of Football management sims!

So lets look at FM main rival, Championship Manager. There has been ONLY ONE post on the CM general discussion forum today, the one preceding that was yesterday, it averages 2-3 new posts per day and is declining! The most common topic on there at the mo is whether there will even be a version this for 2011, and the developers do not care enough about their fans or their game to provide any information. We can summarise from this there is a complete lack of a community, a by product of a really poor game. Interested further I read a review for CM2010 on GameSpot, and I laughed at some of the authors remarks who rate 6 out of 10, check it out for yourselves.

Compare this to FM, and you will very quickly have your answers regarding how much SI really DO CARE about their fans and their product. With their obvious support of the game through patches and hot-fixes, and their response to fans on this very forum, I find myself wondering what it is exactly some people are looking for out of SI? Maybe they should adopt the same approach as the CM develops maybe?

So, value for money? People need to remember that they have paid no more than £30 for this game; and then look at what they are getting for it. Above all they need to keep in mind that THIS IS A GAME not real life and can never be so, albeit SI get it pretty damn close. Play it and enjoy it within the parameters of the game, and stop moaning, and most importantly be thankful for the awesome game we have! In my opinion £30 well spent!

Done, Rant over!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If people don't complain, then SI won't have the feedback required to improve the game and fix the bits that aren't quite right (of which there are plenty).

Generally users don't come onto the forum to praise SI, etc. They're too busy playing a great game.

If people don't complain, then SI won't have the feedback required to improve the game and fix the bits that aren't quite right (of which there are plenty).

Generally users don't come onto the forum to praise SI, etc. They're too busy playing a great game.

I agree, bad news/feedback is more readily available than good!

However there is a way of reporting constructive feedback, whilst still appreciating the game in its current form.

but there are general bug complaints then there are the idiots who dont report bugs properly and moan day in day out or blame a "bug" for there teams poor preformances.

I think its a brilliant game and with regards to CM I have never go past the 1st week in the demo as it was really bad!

I agree very much with col_utd and SWaRFeGa. It is all about you complain and if your feedback and critisism are valid and constructive. Complaining forsake of it is rather annoying and while of course everyone has to right to do it at times I do think people should think through what they say.

I agree very much with col_utd and SWaRFeGa. It is all about you complain and if your feedback and critisism are valid and constructive. Complaining forsake of it is rather annoying and while of course everyone has to right to do it at times I do think people should think through what they say.

Definitley agree. It does seem a lot of the time people are complaining with no valid reason. A lot of issues seem to be purely cosmetic or seem to crop up when people are doing badly (...ahem its your tactics :-). I am not saying the game is bug free but is by no means unplayable as certain people keep wildly exaggerating.

I have been playing these games since the good ol days of the spectrum and to see it evolve to what it has is truely breathtaking.

but there are general bug complaints then there are the idiots who dont report bugs properly and moan day in day out or blame a "bug" for there teams poor preformances.

I think its a brilliant game and with regards to CM I have never go past the 1st week in the demo as it was really bad!

This!

Instead of asking for help, or tweaking a tactic, changing their approach or whatever, "it's a bug!" - what's more annoying though, is that IF people would actually learn how to play the game "properly" in all it's fully-immersive roles, take the rough with the smooth, etc. they would actually enjoy the game much much more

I agree that people should really appreciate this game.

I had played some football manager games years ago and then last year bought FIFA manager 2010. I enjoyed it but didn't seem to be able to affect the gsm much.

FIFA 2011 came out. I got it. Liked it less than 2010. So I looked around online and found out about football manager 2011 and that it's the real simulation game.

I got it and loaded it up. When I first saw the set up I though it was a joke. No music. So simple and kinda like a spreadsheet. I started my first game. Graphics looked cheap. No commentaries etc. I turned it off and went back to FIFA manager 2011. Until it frustrated me. I kept winning Without knowing why or losing without knowing why. There seemed to be no impact on the match play from my decisions or from the players. It was graphically great but more like a "game" comic style Than a simulation.

I went back to fm11. Came to the forum. Saw you can download skins and logos and pictures. I did. Right away it felt much better. Graphically and I concentrated on the features. And it is great. I can talk to the players. Motivate them. I can analyse and check the motivations during the game and tweak. Attack more. Close this guy down. More possession etc. I feel like I am able to turn things around. Players respond to my instructions and you see it in match play. Their attributes are seen on the pitch. Faster guys are faster. Better dribblers dribble. Long shots. If you have a good rating you make it.

I am still learning the game but it's very rewarding. I don't see any of the bugs that people keep screaming about. I see a well made game that is a lot of fun. It could improve graphically. Yes there are some features that can be improved but comared to the other option it's so much better.

Nicely said tyro.

I think the major problem here is not the game, its the fact that FM fans/players have been spoilt for so long that they are now taking the game for granted and failing to appreciate how great FM truly is!

I am 'one of those' who like to have the odd rant about bugs and cosmetic issues and sometimes it can come across that I dont appreciate the game. But this is'nt the case, I know for a fact that its by a country mile the best sports simulation game in the world bar none. However maybe I am a perfectionist and little things really bug me and when things like defenders scoring more goals than strikers happens, it just demolishes any sense of realism and for me that is a gamebreaker.

OK, so I read topic after topic after topic about how crap this version is

This is called feedback. SI are taking the game in a direction that the people who buy it dont like. SI should listen cause 2011 has many aspects that detract from the enjoyment of playing it.

I feel some FM fans are taking this game and SI a bit for granted!

Maybe some fans feel SI is taking them for granted by not taking on board their critisisms. This will eventually reveal itself in lower sales. Its in evenrybodys interests that this downward spiral is halted sooner rather than later.

As I said 'Football Manager 2011' is the best football manager game currently available and surely 99.9% of people who play the game agree with that.

But sadly we're getting to the point that's true just because "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"...

FIFA Manager appeals to a different portion of the public and takes a different approach, ChampMan was never viable competition and the rest of the competitors are either out of business or long forgotten...

To counter the OP's point, I think SEGA and SI shouldn't take US FOR GRANTED either...

Discard the small portion of over-the-top "I can't win, the game's unplayable!" ranters, there's still a relevant portion of the loyal fanbase which is quite displeased with the game and with the relative lack of improvement/fixing it has been given.

Personally I haven't played enough on 11.3 to comment on it yet, but as a whole FM11 has been a hughe disappointment compared to FM10... A game that was far from perfect itself but the step forwards hasn't been nor good nor big enough in FM11.

Therefore I think any constructive criticism, even harsh and slightly exaggerated complaints, is what has helped SI to improve the game...

Once again, endless praise, obsequious silence or utter indifference (for the good or for the bad) won't help SI to make a better game, but they'll lead to complacency, staleness and drop in quality.

Something that the current lack of competition is already in risk of causing (or has caused it already, you decide).

So no, some of us are more keen to post a negative thing than a praise because, so to speak, it's a matter of "tough love".

This is called feedback. SI are taking the game in a direction that the people who buy it dont like. SI should listen cause 2011 has many aspects that detract from the enjoyment of playing it. .

Feedback involves constructive criticism, the majority of feedback on here does not. It tends to be rants that hold no purpose.

Maybe some fans feel SI is taking them for granted by not taking on board their critisisms. This will eventually reveal itself in lower sales. Its in evenrybodys interests that this downward spiral is halted sooner rather than later.

Saying it is on a downward spiral is entirely subjective. A lot of people on here and myself personally feel it gets better and better each year.

I dont think SI can be accused of taking people for granted a company who listens to its public and dose its best in the time scale they have to release patches to improve the game is not a form of taking something for granted, They could just release the game and say thats ya lot till next year despite knowing there sales will still be as good

This is called feedback. SI are taking the game in a direction that the people who buy it dont like. SI should listen cause 2011 has many aspects that detract from the enjoyment of playing it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I really respect that!

I simply have great trouble with the concept that FM is on a downward spiral, I think the game is awesome, I really truly love this version! Therefore I can't see the reason behind all the complaints.

But like I said, I respect peoples opinions.

Saying it is on a downward spiral is entirely subjective.

Yes its is. Alot of people are voicing their discontent with the game but there are always some who want to rubbish their input.. not constructive or "i think its ok so you are wrong" type of postings. I wonder how much these people are skewing SIs judgement on what to fix and what to change in patches. 2011 is a disapointment to many. Im glad your happy with it but im not.

Yes its is. Alot of people are voicing their discontent with the game but there are always some who want to rubbish their input.. not constructive or "i think its ok so you are wrong" type of postings. I wonder how much these people are skewing SIs judgement on what to fix and what to change in patches. 2011 is a disapointment to many. Im glad your happy with it but im not.

I think it works both ways with regards to rubbishing peoples input but I dont want this to turn in to an arguing thread. From what I have read from the si guys they try to test all the issues as best they can but we are still talking a relatively small company in comparison to its player base.

It must be the impossible job because there is no way to test how it will work on all computer configurations & set ups hence why some people experience bugs and others dont.

There is no way a game this complex will please everybody and I just wanted to agree with the op that we should be thankful for the great game that we have

I’m sorry, but surely this proves you wrong.

I agree with billyboyeden, I didn't want this to be a I love/I hate FM2011 thread.

I only wanted to voice my opinion that what we have compared to what is on the market, and indeed what has proceeded this game, is a really great game. However, my opinion is somewhat unique (probably like a load of other people really), in respect that I have played Football Manager games ever since my old Spectrum, and have witnessed the evolution on football manager games.

I’m sorry, but surely this proves you wrong.

oh god, i can hardly type for laughing... something pc gamer says proves what? yeah anyway, im glad you guys all enjoy the game. I just think you got your heads in the sand. RBKalle has summed up it in his post so i wont spell it out again.

Edit: Anybody remember ACE? i think that was the last gaming publication that actually gave honest reviews. Probably why it went out of business

@OP I wasnt noticing the bugs until I realised I wasnt noticing them, once you do - come back and give an honest assesment of the game. I appreciate what the SI team do and admit that the task they face each year to bring out a game is massive, why dont they release one every two years and still being able to offer patches/hotfixes

oh god, i can hardly type for laughing... something pc gamer says proves what? yeah anyway, im glad you guys all enjoy the game. I just think you got your heads in the sand. RBKalle has summed up it in his post so i wont spell it out again.

Edit: Anybody remember ACE? i think that was the last gaming publication that actually gave honest reviews. Probably why it went out of business

Hmm .. your point is? I grabbed the link off Steam, but Football Manager is still a popular game. I have no idea what PC Gamer is, so there’s no need to be an idiot about it.

It must be the impossible job because there is no way to test how it will work on all computer configurations & set ups hence why some people experience bugs and others dont.

This is just partly true...

We've had plenty of issues any random FM newbie could face within 1 hour of gameplay, and other issues that would have been evident just in a couple of years of in-game time (something any FM'er could obtain by holidaying til, say, 2015 or 2020).

And issues that were already in previous editions, left unchanged despite adequate feedback and reports...

* Top Clubs signings mediocre/older/obscure players they don't need

* Top Players sold at face value or rotting on the Free Agents list

* Unbalanced newgens, expensive newgens

* Corner exploit becoming commonplace

* Wrong rules for competitions

And I'm not even going to touch the ME part of the game (bar the corner "exploit") because I see how it can be subjective and/or deceptive.

There is no way a game this complex will please everybody and I just wanted to agree with the op that we should be thankful for the great game that we have

I know, but we're not always talking about "those who want to win 10-0 every game" vs "those who want it so difficult you'll need a Ph.D. in Applied Statistics to win the League Cup with Man United"...

Some parts of the games are subjective, so who knows... some FM'ers loved FM10 when they had to splash 100M for Modric, while some prefer FM11 when they could sign an upset Rooney for 20M tops...

But the matter of fact is some BASICS of the game aren't really subjective and should not be treated as such...

one of the things that i think a lot of people have hard times accepting is that the game makers went way too far ahead of themsleves as it seems to be an huge task to fix the bugs, when you take some of the previous fm games into account. there are so many new features and things that influence behaviors ingame that it looks to me like a total mess. there are several features that i simply can´t get my head around as i simply don´t know how the thing works anymore. it is almost a burden to go through all the aspects just to get to the part we enjoy most, which is playing matches in the match engine, really hard to swallow :thdn:

i think it would do a world of good for the game to take a step back and get the annoying issues working better that are at the base of the game. such as the games in the match engine and transfers, how about making journeyman managers more appealing, you know the basic stuff.

i tried to point out that one of the problems of the situation today is that many actually have peepoor communication skills so the whole darn thing turns into a circus. this shouldn´t be anywhere close to being in the hands of the public, great that si listen :thup: but it´s definatly a :thdn: that things are in the state they are atm. something has to happen as i think the direction has overcomplicated the whole process, or in other words, someone bit off too much to chew.

Its a publishers mouthpiece. Anyway dont get agro about it cause im laughing i meant no offense. You ought to know what links are before you post them.

I would have thought Call of Duty publishers would have a bit more muscle than SI publishers? I got a bit snarky cos it seemed like you were taking the ****, my bad.

one of the things that i think a lot of people have hard times accepting is that the game makers went way too far ahead of themsleves as it seems to be an huge task to fix the bugs, when you take some of the previous fm games into account. there are so many new features and things that influence behaviors ingame that it looks to me like a total mess. there are several features that i simply get my head around as i simply don´t know how the thing works anymore. it is almost a burden to go through all the aspects just to get to the part we enjoy most, which is playing matches in the match engine, really hard to swallow :thdn:

i think it would do a world of good for the game to take a step back and get the annoying issues working better that are at the base of the game. such as the games in the match engine and transfers, how about making journeyman managers more appealing, you know the basic stuff.

i tried to point out that one of the problems of the situation today is that many actually have peepoor communication skills so the whole darn thing turns into a circus. this shouldn´t be anywhere close to being in the hands of the public, great that si listen :thup: but it´s definatly a :thdn: that things are in the state they are atm. something has to happen as i think the direction has overcomplicated the whole process, or in other words, someone bit off too much to chew.

How is it a burden? How can you "skip" these parts? It's these "new features and things that influence behaviors ingame" that MAKE the game what it is! These features are what it's all about, you can have the best players, the best coaches, the best tactics, the best fans, ground, everything but if you can't manipulate your players with the tools provided then you aren't going to win games. I get a great sense of satisfaction when I know it's because I did x, y and z since the last game ended that my star striker bagged himself a hat-trick in the next. If you aren't experiencing that sort of feeling, then you aren't doing it right,,,

PC gamer are just publishing the sales figures for PC games so his point is entirely relevant. FM2010 and 2011 were the highest selling games for the PC in 2010 not including steam. So your point was wrong.

How is it a burden? How can you "skip" these parts? It's these "new features and things that influence behaviors ingame" that MAKE the game what it is! These features are what it's all about, you can have the best players, the best coaches, the best tactics, the best fans, ground, everything but if you can't manipulate your players with the tools provided then you aren't going to win games. I get a great sense of satisfaction when I know it's because I did x, y and z since the last game ended that my star striker bagged himself a hat-trick in the next. If you aren't experiencing that sort of feeling, then you aren't doing it right,,,

so, you know how the game works thoroughly? there are huge ammount of influences on morale so i don´t even know where to look to correct these issues, and i just can´t skip it, my dear friend, because it is one of the most important things in the game :rolleyes:. if i were to ask you how the darn thing works, would you really be able to tell me so it makes sense? what about match preparation? let´s hear it

I really dont want to derail this thread so this will be my last comment on this. http://www.mademan.com/mm/10-best-selling-pc-games-2010.html http://www.gamesonsmash.com/2010/08/03/starcraft-ii-best-selling-pc-game-of-2010/

Blizzard has announced that StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty has sold 1.5 million copies in the first 48 hours of the game’s release

I honestly have no idea what the best selling pc game of any year was nor do i particularly care but i would be surprised if any FM game is outselling those figures. I have to admit i didnt even read the PC gamer link because i automatically consider anything PC gamer says to be false. This links i posted are examples and i make no claims as to their accuracy

so, you know how the game works thoroughly? there are huge ammount of influences on morale so i don´t even know where to look to correct these issues, and i just can´t skip it, my dear friend, because it is one of the most important things in the game :rolleyes:. if i were to ask you how the darn thing works, would you really be able to tell me so it makes sense? what about match preparation? let´s hear it

What about match preparation? do you mean the 'feature' in the game, or the way that you should prepare for the next match? Former, there is a thread with a link to a fairly good explanation of match preparation if you care to search, you might even find more. If it's the latter, i.e. how you should prepare for the next match?, then you should remember that preparing for the next match starts at the final whistle of the last... before you deliver your post-match team-talk!

What about match preparation? do you mean the 'feature' in the game, or the way that you should prepare for the next match? Former, there is a thread with a link to a fairly good explanation of match preparation if you care to search, you might even find more. If it's the latter, i.e. how you should prepare for the next match?, then you should remember that preparing for the next match starts at the final whistle of the last... before you deliver your post-match team-talk!

so in other words you don´t really have a clue. you also avioded the morale question, which is quite understandable. look, i have been around the block once or twice and have stumbled on threads regarding this and that, but i have tried it and it don´t work like the paragraph on the matter suggested. there are more questions than answers, and the truth is no one really knows otherwise there would be lots of good stuff in the forums. seriously, have you looked around, well let me tell you there´s not :eek:

As for as the 3 formations thing, i wonder how many professional teams arnt completely familiar with all standard formations. Anybody want to hazard a guess? :)

It’s not the formation you have, it’s how you use it ;)

so in other words you don´t really have a clue. you also avioded the morale question, which is quite understandable. look, i have been around the block once or twice and have stumbled on threads regarding this and that, but i have tried it and it don´t work like the paragraph on the matter suggested. there are more questions than answers, and the truth is no one really knows otherwise there would be lots of good stuff in the forums. seriously, have you looked around, well let me tell you there´s not :eek:

Oh please :rolleyes:, let's not turn this into a "whose got the bigger one" thread.

What exactly do you want to know? What problems are you having?

preparing for the next match starts at the final whistle of the last.

That phrase ^^^ is the most important thing to remember, game's done and gone, next one - team-talk - you should already be thinking about your next game, who will be playing, who has played well, who has played badly, which key players made a difference, which players shied away from the challenge, etc etc.. and your team-talk should be aimed at boosting/maintaining morale whilst improving/maintaining performances. If you get a post-match Press Conference you use it for the same purpose as the team-talk "boosting/maintaining morale whilst improving/maintaining performances". Opposing manager says something in the Press after the game? Use it for the same purpose...

Private chat - (e.g) "your last performance was unacceptable, try do better next time" - likely outcome "pleased with how the previous chat went" - next game "expect a performance!" - performance - smiles all around :)

so in other words I don't really have a clue, no... (but I have a better idea than you :p )

I've found moral fairly easy to control what are you struggling with?

riddle me this and riddle me that, guys. well, ok. maybe i am setting you guys up, but have you ever tried to do a player interaction then save and reload and then repeat the interaction and noticed what is going on? that´s why if you guys seriously knew what you were talking about then you might as well enter the lottery ;). i never said that i am a world class gamer, but i do have a nack for testing the game that i am playing :rolleyes:

sorry i didnt realise your a game tester, anyway, i dont save and reload anything on FM i like to play as its intended, but you now seem to be avoiding the question, barring you doing your on in game testing which really proves nothing, what part of controling moral are you struggling with?

riddle me this and riddle me that, guys. well, ok. maybe i am setting you guys up, but have you ever tried to do a player interaction then save and reload and then repeat the interaction and noticed what is going on? that´s why if you guys seriously knew what you were talking about then you might as well enter the lottery ;). i never said that i am a world class gamer, but i do have a nack for testing the game that i am playing :rolleyes:

I don't save and reload... :s If I'm doing a player interaction, I'm interacting with him for a reason so I know what I'm looking for as a result, what's the problem? If he doesn't like it, he'll get over it...

sorry i didnt realise your a game tester, anyway, i dont save and reload anything on FM i like to play as its intended, but you now seem to be avoiding the question, barring you doing your on in game testing which really proves nothing, what part of controling moral are you struggling with?

well if you are suggesting that i am cheating then boo you ;). sometimes to come to terms with something we have to make comparisons, that would explain why that you only have the one half of the story. i am not saying that i struggle with it, reread my posts if you don´t believe me, i am merely trying to find out if people generally really know how things work. it´s a big part of the game, you know :p

is it really that hard to compliment a player when he plays well, or if he played bad, to tell him his performance was unacceptable?

its simple if the thread is about people moaning about the game dont read it and dont post in it its very simple too many people on here brown nosing give it a rest and move on, the game is the best manager game out there and will be for a long time some people can play it with the bugs and dont mind some cant play it with bugs but as soon as they say they cant play it they are giving abuse by the brown nosers lets all move on and hope fm12 hasnt got as much bugs.

well if you are suggesting that i am cheating then boo you ;). sometimes to come to terms with something we have to make comparisons, that would explain why that you only have the one half of the story. i am not saying that i struggle with it, reread my posts if you don´t believe me, i am merely trying to find out if people generally really know how things work. it´s a big part of the game, you know :p

i dont care if you cheat or not, its up to each person how they play, but i dont see any point saving and reloading anything, if i go into a private chat i know what i want to happen, if it doesnt go well then i fix it. What good does it do to save before these and then reload? Even if it goes bad it can usually be fixed, if not then you sell the player on, it all mimics real life to the extent it is capable of.

is it really that hard to compliment a player when he plays well, or if he played bad, to tell him his performance was unacceptable?

oh, is that the only interaction available? what about when they want to move or have problems settling and other cool stuff? uhhh, press continue and ignore? tried that, couldn´t ;)

Archived