Players becoming coaches/managers etc

After a few seasons, some older players obviously retire and go on to be managers/coaches etc. I'm now in season 2018/19 with Portsmouth and it's completely stopped.

A player i've had since 2009 has been saing he is going to stay in the game for the past 4 years. So i kept him on board until he retired so I could offer him a job, but he just retired and left the game completely. It's been happening for a few years with different players (not just on my team) and it's quite frustrating.

Now i've got a few other 30somethings saying they're going to stay in the game but im starting to doubt if they will. Why do they just bugger off after saying they're going to stay in the game?

I dont have that issue at all. However, Read the text carefully.

Some say "Probably wont be" others say "Definitely wont be" and some say "Looking to take up..."

Perhaps yours were in the "Probably" category and didnt end up staying in the game?

Originally posted by shaunyboy89:

After a few seasons, some older players obviously retire and go on to be managers/coaches etc. I'm now in season 2018/19 with Portsmouth and it's completely stopped.

A player i've had since 2009 has been saing he is going to stay in the game for the past 4 years. So i kept him on board until he retired so I could offer him a job, but he just retired and left the game completely. It's been happening for a few years with different players (not just on my team) and it's quite frustrating.

Now i've got a few other 30somethings saying they're going to stay in the game but im starting to doubt if they will. Why do they just bugger off after saying they're going to stay in the game?

This is a really obvious point, but you are offering them a coaching contract before their retirement date?

It happened to me too when I originally played on a small database. I would keep telling the player they would make a great coach until they were definitly staying in the game, and keep them on the team even as they got to old to play. I would never be given the option of giving them a coaching contract and they would just retire.

Hey thanks for the feedback. The player in question said he was definitely going to stay in the game and i had been telling the media that he would make a good coach. But at the time where players anounce their retirement, he anounced his for Jan and didn't have the 'staff profile' section, he just retired in January.

I was thinking it might be because im in year 2018/19 and a lot of coaching roles are taken up by long-serving staff, so the game might not need them.

But at the time where players anounce their retirement, he anounced his for Jan and didn't have the 'staff profile' section, he just retired in January.

I think the best thing to do is when a player reaches say 34-35 and is still playing try offering them a player\coach role before they announce any plans to retire. I recently had a major problem with my computer and had to reformat and reinstall FM. After doing this I picked Celtic as a team to manage and offered Steven Pressley a role as player\coach and he accepted willingly.

as above. i brought in Tim Cahill for my arsenal team when he was 34 to tutor some of my young guys. Near the end of the season i offered him a player/coach contract and he accepted. He is now my fitness coach

There is a bug till FM 2007 that a player who have 'Definitely going to stay...' does not generate a Staff Profile when he is deciding to retire so there is no option to give him coach/assist role and he vanishes from the game after retirement.

I've had it with my players both in FM 2007 and in FM 2008.

Is there a possibility to offer a player/staff role for player who have no staff profile?

Yeah this is good info. When i go to offer them a coaching contract, people who are 'deffo staying in the game' dont have the option, the 'role' section says 'player' and is greyed out so it cant be changed. it's all very queer indeed.

Originally posted by brookie1402:

I always go to the media and say "player x will make a great coach/scout/ass man/gk coach". It helps the plyer into deciding to stay in the game

This interaction can really change their mind for staying in the game or not. I had Henry who said "Defnitely not going to remain in football after retire"; then I kept saying he suits to be a manager for many times. Eventually, he took up an ass man position in a dutch club. I didn't bother offer him a job since he still has crappy stats.

It went from definitely not to probably not, probably, looking for and he eventually did! I was amazed that I could change his decision.

Archived