5-2-1-2, designed for Liverpool FC.

I believed we'd have a built-in option to upload small files here; it would make this process of sharing tactics much easier. Anyway, back to the point.

I am well aware this game (match engine, more precisely) has certain patterns that can be explored, analyzed and (ab)used; I became even more aware of that some five years ago, I believe, when I first time read wwfan's analysis. Still, I like to pretend it's not like that and approach the game on a more romantic level; I try to emulate what I'd do in real life if I was a manager. Thus, I actually am looking for a godlike tactic that will utterly crush other teams to pieces, but I prevent myself from reaching it by always changing bits and pieces here and there. Anyway, I have to admit I've been quite successful so far, for all these years.

As soon as I've downloaded 11.3, I started a new game. I decided to play with LFC. This topic is not intended to give anyone some ultra-pwning tactic; it's quite solid and it's designed specifically for Liverpool, although I believe it could be applied to many other English clubs. The point is: I am posting this because I need help in certain areas.

When I analyzed the current set-up, I realized we are not really league winning material; it's there, of course, it's a bad squad either, of course, but I knew it would take me a season or two to assemble the squad I need to field a strong challenge for the title. Thus, I decided to create a more defensively looking tactic for the first season, to keep it tight at the back while playing away and swarming them at home. I hoped it would allow me to finish in top 4, get stable finances and start challenging top teams next season.

I opted for 5-2-1-2; obviously, it was King Kenny who gave me the idea. I was never too fond of putting more players at the back than necessary - I want more players up top! Well, Kenny's idea of having 5 at the back fitted extremely well into my goal, so I started creating tactic. (Note I didn't know there was a built-in tactic creator, so I just started editing a random tactic that was there already. Not sure if I missed something.)

rasporedj.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The result is here. It went better than I expected; way, way better.

situationm.jpg

Player settings are all there, ready to play; team settings are mostly on default and you need to configure them by yourself before each match. If I am planning on putting a lot of crosses in, I will use Carroll as target man; note again, using target man is turned off by default. Defensive line will usually be quite high up the pitch, disregarding the off side trap; I found it works quite well that way - and aging Carragher will most certainly deal with any danger Agger and Skrtel missed.

It's a solid team - good (but not excellent) in every single department and still not having a single weakness. They are not weak, slow or anything else.

That said, I managed to fulfill my goal - I am in top four, I have a rock solid defence and even the long awaited title is within reach.

I am glad we have match preparations, especially because it allows us to have three different formations to play with. I use 4-4-2 as an extremely attacking formation at home. I am wondering what I could use as the third formation, to stay between these two, a new tactic which I could use for attacking away from home. Because...

This tactic is sort of limited in certain areas. Let's get onto problems now.

1. Taking the ball forward. It's hard to play a wide game with this set-up because if playing wide most of the time there will be a lack of good solutions for a pass when switching from defense to attack. Having Meireles and Gerrad moving forward quite fast, wing-backs will most of the time have only Lucas to play with, along with other defenders, thus creating a problem of how to bring ball out of defence. There is an obvious solution, but I just could not make it work; you tell me if it's match engine limitation or my mistake. The answer for that problem is: Daniel Agger. The reason why I believe he should become one of the most important players (in real life) for Liverpool is because he is technically apt to going forward - he has the ability to bring the ball out of defence. He can shoot, he can pass, he has the vision.

First, obviously, I changed him to "Ball Playing Defender", giving him higher mentality, creative freedom, telling him to run with ball sometimes and try through balls. Combined with his "Runs forward..." PPM, it was destined for success! Well, it failed. He acts just as a regular defender, although he does move higher up the pitch, but that's negligible. I tried giving him attacking mentality (!!), often run forward and often through balls with normal creative freedom, but to no avail.

I hope you are here with me - he is the perfect example of what I needed, a real gem who fits extremely well into my plan. If I make him to do it, it would make this tactic much, much more usable.

2. Which is inability to hold possession. Not being able to go really wide makes the middle of the park quite congested, so misplaced passes are not uncommon. It's suited to quick play with longer passes - which is good in its way, as it leads to quick goals. :) Should I just accept the fact that it's not possible to play possession football with it?

I hope I've covered all the parts I'd like to discuss with you. This is the first time I am sharing a tactic, so I hope you guys will try it for couple of games and let me know what you think. What I'm really hoping for is your help with my problems.

Best regards.

P.S. Tactic, once again, for those who missed it: Get it!

Archived