Kosovo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PMLF:

Kosovo is neither a member of UEFA nor of FIFA, so there is no reason to have them in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

kosovo is still part of serbia, until it isn't, I don't see a reason for doing that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PMLF:

Kosovo is neither a member of UEFA nor of FIFA, so there is no reason to have them in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Kosovan goverment is expected to declare independence from Serbia at some point this month, with the backing of the EU & US. So it won't be long until they are members of UEFA and FIFA. A similar thing happened recently with Montenegro...

If Kosovo declares indipendance this month as it's rumoured they will, they have to be recognised as a nation before they can even apply to FIFA.

Chances are if they do declare indipendance there won't be peace for a good while, which will probably have a direct result on the length of time it takes them to be recognised as a country.

I know all that, but until then it's still part of serbia. and then we'll have to wait them to become members of FIFA and UEFA.

I wouldn't compare kosovo with montenegro, as it's not the same metter. but yes, kosovo will get it's indentpendece becouse of ****ing U.S. interests and military bases...sadly!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Annihilator666:

The Kosovan goverment is expected to declare independence from Serbia at some point this month, with the backing of the EU & US. So it won't be long until they are members of UEFA and FIFA. A similar thing happened recently with Montenegro... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The difference is Montenegro's indipendance wasn't contested. Disputed territories usually don't have such a smooth run in.

It took about 4(ish) years to get Serbia & Montenegro both playing seperate competetive fixtures though didn't it?

The games are scheduled so far in advance that it's not simply a case of saying "wey hey, who are we playing this week".

First they have to meet the criteria to become a FIFA or UEFA member, then they have to prove they meet the criteria, then FIFA & UEFA have to look at how they fit them into future Interantional qualifying competitions. They also have to consider how they will be ranked, (not sure how this was done with Serbia & Montenegro).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

It took about 4(ish) years to get Serbia & Montenegro both playing seperate competetive fixtures though didn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Montenegro declared independence in May 2006, and they were in FM07 (I think).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

It took about 4(ish) years to get Serbia & Montenegro both playing seperate competetive fixtures though didn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yugoslavia officially changed their name to Serbia & Montenegro before the union between the nations were dissolved. Montenegro started playing international fixtures as soon as they could.

There's no point of putting Kosovo in the patch. Although a declaration of independence is imminent, it's unlikely to be in time for the country to make it into the patch. And anyway, there's no league structure or national football federation/association there yet, as far as I'm aware.

And with the likes of Russia and Serbia almost certain not to recognise Kosovo when it does declare independence, there will probably be considerable wrangling before a football federation and league system comes into being. Once it does, I'm sure Kosovar clubs and the national team will be added, and I'm sure Kosovar nationality/citizenship will also be added. However, it's unlikely their leagues would become playable. At least not for quite a long time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

countries dont need leagues to participate, im sure theres a country who hasnt got one just players with the nationality, luxembourg is in my head for some reason but dont go medievil on my ass if im wrong </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's Liechtenstein.

thanks for clearing it up

i never expected it to be put in the patch or even the next game for that matter just respoding to the previous commetn, i think a newly formed country would want to get other things sorted before football icon_biggrin.gif

off topic but are they newly formed or were they claimed in war and now breaking free

Kosovo has long been an integral part of Serbia. Serbia considers it one of the most important parts of its territory, religiously and culturally. However, its people are 90% ethnic Albanian, rather than ethnic Serb. Only about 9% are ethnic Serbs. The Albanian majority have always resented being ruled from Belgrade. However, Belgrade, for the reasons mentioned above, is highly opposed to ever losing Kosovo as part of its territory.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

There's no point of putting Kosovo in the patch. Although a declaration of independence is imminent, it's unlikely to be in time for the country to make it into the patch. And anyway, there's no league structure or national football federation/association there yet, as far as I'm aware. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a national league and cup structure in place, overseen by the Football Federation of Kosovo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Annihilator666:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

There's no point of putting Kosovo in the patch. Although a declaration of independence is imminent, it's unlikely to be in time for the country to make it into the patch. And anyway, there's no league structure or national football federation/association there yet, as far as I'm aware. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a national league and cup structure in place, overseen by the Football Federation of Kosovo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that would definitely suggest that if FIFA and UEFA membership can be sorted out, Kosovo could well be ready to go for the start of next season.

im pretty ignorant, i thought it was tiny but must be fairly large to have 3 divisions operating within another country, no doubt (going by mike7077s explanation) the players who will play for the future cosovan (is this right?) team will be currently in the albanian squad, will they be allowed to change if they consider themselves cosovon (?) i wonder

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

im pretty ignorant, i thought it was tiny but must be fairly large to have 3 divisions operating within another country, no doubt (going by mike7077s explanation) the players who will play for the future cosovan (is this right?) team will be currently in the albanian squad, will they be allowed to change if they consider themselves cosovon (?) i wonder </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

many of kosovo albanians are playing for albania at the moment. but basicly kosovo albanians and "real" albanians don't like each other too much..

im pretty ignorant, i thought it was tiny but must be fairly large to have 3 divisions operating within another country, no doubt (going by mike7077s explanation) the players who will play for the future cosovan (is this right?) team will be currently in the albanian squad, will they be allowed to change if they consider themselves cosovon (?) i wonder </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are many Kosovar players abroad,mainly lower leagues of Switzerland and Sweden.Others are scattered all around Serbia,Macedonia,Bosnia & Herzegovina,etc.

And those Kosovar players who are currently playing for another nation will be able to change their national team if Kosovo gains independence and forms its own national team.

Montenegro declared independence in May 2006, and they were in FM07 (I think). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But they didn't have any competetive fixtures.

I still don't think they have but I might be wrong.

Montenegro declared independence in May 2006, and they were in FM07 (I think). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still don't think they have but I might be wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, they are in the World Cup 2010 qualifiers. icon_biggrin.gif

I still don't think they have but I might be wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, they are in the World Cup 2010 qualifiers. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Montenegro did indeed become independent in May 2006, and FIFA and UEFA membership followed not long after. Their first competitive fixtures will be the World Cup 2010 qualifiers, the first qualifying programme for which they are ready for.

odds on them winning haha they must be bottom of the ranking pretty much </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, they started bottom of the world rankings, but they actually have some very good players; Mirko Vucinic and Milan Purovic being prime examples.

You guys are assuming Kosovo will get independence but I dont think they will. Sure they can declare it, but I can also declare my house to be an independent country if I want, it depends if the UN will recognise them and the UN wont recognise them because of Russia. Russia can do whatever they want cause they have the most nukes. They can nuke every country to bits and still have nukes left. Russia rocks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

You guys are assuming Kosovo will get independence but I dont think they will. Sure they can declare it, but I can also declare my house to be an independent country if I want, it depends if the UN will recognise them and the UN wont recognise them because of Russia. Russia can do whatever they want cause they have the most nukes. They can nuke every country to bits and still have nukes left. Russia rocks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What the feck is wrong with you? You could say exactly the same thing, except switch states around. Russia would do anything to disrupt the UN, and you know that. This isn't the Soviet Union we're talking about here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

You guys are assuming Kosovo will get independence but I dont think they will. Sure they can declare it, but I can also declare my house to be an independent country if I want, it depends if the UN will recognise them and the UN wont recognise them because of Russia. Russia can do whatever they want cause they have the most nukes. They can nuke every country to bits and still have nukes left. Russia rocks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_confused.gif

Absolute space cadeticon_biggrin.gif

As I said right back at the start of the thread, the issue is Kosovo needs to be recognised which puts them in the same hat as places like:

Gibraltar

Abkhazia

Transnistria

Northern Cyprus

Etc...

The point of me highlighting all four of those, is that half have been recognised and half haven't. Despite it all though none are members of FIFA or UEFA because they're all disputed.

FIFA and UEFA are never one to rock the boat. They're not a political organisation and don't get involved in this kind of junk.

I imagine SI could do the same with Kosovo that they've done with the Basque Country and Monaco, two nations that aren't recognised by any footballing authority but that have football players in the game - have a separate Kosovar nationality along with the player's existing Serb/Albanian nationality, and not include a playable Kosovar national team.

Until they're recognised as an independent country with an internationally recognised national team, that is.

Things will be unstable in Kosovo for a while after independance. I spent 6 months in Bosnia (Banja Luka) 3 months in Kosovo and 3 months in Skopje during the conflict and there are many political issues that will take years to resolve.

FIFA will not allow any nation to join while there is political unrest. They even booted Yougoslavia out of the European Championships and replaced them with Denmark a few years ago at the start of the troubles.

Apart from the political reasons, as mentioned by someone earlier, there is all the other 'football related' issues to think about.

I would be very suprised if Kosovo were a member of FIFA this time next year.

• SI Staff

Guys, this isn't the place for a political discussion. If you want to continue that discussion then the Off Topic Discussion section is the place for that.

As always, we'll try and reflect the world of football in the game as best we can and include future changes in that.

Archived