my team always win if I holiday

This happens to me as well. I don't win all matches but I win most. It is really strange because the teams fielded when on holiday are weaker than my normal line up.

Indeed because It has been a 'silly' unrealistic season results wise in the SPL for me this year (Rangers 4th 10 pts behind Hearts!!) I have been using this tool to try and correct the unrealistic aspect of the game.

Well after 33 games in the SPL the sides in 2nd (Dundee United) and 3rd (Hearts) had smashed their own SPL points record and I had no chance of making 3rd, of which there was a 10 point deficit. Something that would never happen in the SPL. So I holidayed the remaining 5 games of the league up to the Scottish Cup final, which I will ultimetely lose to Celtic

In the end I won 3 (including Celtic at home, lost 1 and drew 1 and finished the league in 3rd position matching Rangers worst ever SPL finish.

Any regrets - no?

Why - I came to Rangers to manage in a league where I could win plenty of games and win lots of silverware, to enable me to get used to the game and get off to an 'easy' start. So it happened to be a freak season where Hearts and Dundee United smashed there record SPL points tally and ive ended up finishing 3rd. Not only that I lost to Celtic in the league cup final and I face them in Scottish Ciup final soon. So Ive got even with the game for throwing such an unrealistic scenario at me. And I'l do it again next season if needs be.

I have often wondered if there was a 'bug' in the game, because in the league I threw away 1,2 goal leads on so many occassions and drew/lost and these were results were costing me. I also rarely scored goals in the last minute.

I ultimetely won the Scottish Cup final 3-0.

So we'l see how next season goes and I'l keep you all updated.

if his motivational skills are selecting "none" as TT everytime then I am truly foolish.

Your ass man will be talking to them all the time, especially if he coaches them too... he will also know better than you how to motivate the players. you need to find out what he knows that you don't! (or take a motivational skills course :p)

I have often wondered if there was a 'bug' in the game, because in the league I threw away 1,2 goal leads on so many occassions and drew/lost and these were results were costing me. I also rarely scored goals in the last minute.

1. tactics - always a possibility

2. condition - tired players make mistakes, commit more fouls, miss more shots, etc

3. motivation - if the players aren't "up for it" then you are already beaten (you get TWO chances to motivate them!)

4. media - has something in the press upset, unsettled, angered, worried, etc. your players? The media is a useful tool, if used correctly, you can use it to motivate your players, demotivate the opposition players, make friends (and enemies), tap-up potential new recruits, etc. but you have to use it wisely, and take careful note of your players' reactions! (so you know when to use it again)

5. personnel - have you got a right footed centre-back against a right-footed striker? Is your slow full-back being skinned by the pacey winger? Is your lightweight centre-mid getting muscled off the ball? Having the wrong players on the pitch for the opponent will affect results adversely.

6. morale - a player with Superb morale will play better because his confidence is high - you can shout at him if not and he'll react (usually) a player with "poor" "okay" or "good" may need more encouragement -

team-talks and the media are not a "one size fits all" because every player reacts differently to different team-talks/media stories. There are no wrong or right ways because what works for one team might destroy another - you have to learn what works for your team yourself. I have to say also that if you are not watching the full 90 minutes then you are unlikely to ever be able to accurately pinpoint the reasons for your team losing. Key and Extended are OK if you're watching a match, but not if you're managing one (IMHO).

I might be wrong here, but I thought games were simulated differently while on holiday. I have a feeling that games are largely decided on reputation while on holiday, so the shock results against smaller/bigger teams are less likely.

Is your team great on paper but susceptable to poor results?

I might be wrong here, but I thought games were simulated differently while on holiday. I have a feeling that games are largely decided on reputation while on holiday, so the shock results against smaller/bigger teams are less likely.

Is your team great on paper but susceptable to poor results?

I didn’t think that was the case with human controlled teams, even if on holiday. I thought it was the case with promotion from unplayable leagues, being judged by higher reputation.

Despite telling the Ass Man to play the team you picked - he'll put someone from the B or C team in the subs. He'll sub off the 17 year old you're trying to give a go to and won't play him or sub him after 5 minutes.

I didn’t think that was the case with human controlled teams, even if on holiday. I thought it was the case with promotion from unplayable leagues, being judged by higher reputation.

It certainly used to be the case. I remember testing it when being drawn against a non league team in the cup on an older version of FM. If you played the match yourself then the mighty greys nearly always seemed to beat you, but holidaying the match would nearly always result in a big win for you.

It certainly used to be the case. I remember testing it when being drawn against a non league team in the cup on an older version of FM. If you played the match yourself then the mighty greys nearly always seemed to beat you, but holidaying the match would nearly always result in a big win for you.

Ah, I stand corrected I guess. I thought the greys were players that matched the reputation/ability of the team they were representing?

Ah, I stand corrected I guess. I thought the greys were players that matched the reputation/ability of the team they were representing?

There was an issue some time back (FM06/07?) where the greys in the lower leagues were far too good and would easily outperform conference n/s players. I'm still a bit nervous facing a team of greys but it seems a lot better now.

There was an issue some time back (FM06/07?) where the greys in the lower leagues were far too good and would easily outperform conference n/s players. I'm still a bit nervous facing a team of greys but it seems a lot better now.

I would have no idea which version, I’m a fairly new player to the FM series, so any bit of info helps me :) To be honest, I still struggle with the tactics and team building once it gets into the “regen era” :)

Archived