Great Working 4-4-2

Ok This is the first tactic i have posted in here and its going to be a little different to the ordinary upload/download plug and play tactic. Also if i miss anything I appologise. I'll describe the approach of creating this tactic, the formation, player roles and duties, team instructions and the reasons for it.

Like most people i used to be a bit hit and miss with tactics and used to download good tactics from this site, however this didn't help me understand how tactics worked and therefore never helped me get used to the tactical side of the game. So rather than just upload a tactic and say play away ill try to explain as much as i can so YOU can understand the mechanics a little better without having to search endless threads for a little guidance.

The tactic I will use is the standard flat 4-4-2 which im currently using with my long term save, its took 3 and a half seasons to perfect, obviouly getting the right players was my biggest flaw but i'll explain that a little later.

Ok so first off i needed to set the players roles within the system which i did as follows:

GK - Goalkeeper (Defend)

DR - Wing Back (Attack) The reason i chose this role is because i like my wide defenders to get forward and support attacks to give width to the team, the more crosses going into the box the more chances we have of scoring. Don't assume that this will lead them to neglect their deffensive duties, IT DOES NOT!

DC - Stopper (Defend) I always have a stopper in the team, these players are the defensive lines first line of defense so to speak. They are the first players to step up out of the line to stop attacks.

DC - Cover (defend) This is probably the most important role of the defenders in this tactic, he is the last line of defense for anything that slips through.

DL - Wing Back (Attack) Same as the DR he will provide width to attacks.

MR - Winger (Support) I prefer my wingers to be wingers, old fashioned maybe but very effective. With the support role they wont cut inside every chance they get and try letting one fly towards goal. Instead they look to beat the full back to the byline and whip balls into the box, they will also work well with the wing back providing lots of crosses into the box.

MCR - Ball Winning Midfielder (Defend) This player is the Roy Keane type player of the midfield, with this role he will get stuck in but also drops off the midfield line to provide an outlet. He tends to spread the ball around.

MCL - Advanced Playmaker (Support) This is the Frank Lampard/Fabregas type role. He will burst forward With the ball exploiting any space infront of the DC's. In and around the box looking to play that killer ball.

ML - Winger (Support) Same as the MR

STCR - Trequartista (Attack) He wont do much deffensively but provides an outlet in attack and counter attack. He will provide lots of goals for the team and score lots too.

STCL - Poacher (Attack) This is the main scorer for the team, he will stick to the last man during deffensive phases looking for a ball over the top. during attacks he will try to find space and peel off his marker, bursting into the box to get on the end of any crosses or spilled saves from the keeper.

http://img857.imageshack.us/f/formationinstructions.jpg/

Ok pretty Vague so far but it will come to light when i explain the team instructions. I set it out this way as i wanted to play possession football and with these roles i feel the team will have good width with the use of Wing Backs and will always have a player free in the centre with the Ball Winning Midfielder, Advanced Playmaker and the Treqaurtista.

So onto Team Instructions

Philosophy - Rigid (Rigid playing possession football I hear you say? I want the players to stick to their position as i feel it is well structured and moving out of position will upset the balance of the formation)

Starting Strategy - Control (i want to keep the ball and work it around the pitch, tire opposition players out and work chances for the front line)

Passing Style - Default (ok so the reason i go for this is too many times have i played this game and used short and ended up losing possession because their was no player close enough to pass to that possession has been lost)

Creative Freedom - More Disciplined (I want the players to stick to the gameplan, afterall it is a team game i wont them to work that way. Dont think that not giving your star player creative freedom will impact his performance, IT WONT)

Closing Down - Press More (Just like barcelona, the best their is at possession football and as soon as they lose the ball, the opposition is closed down quickly to try to regain possession)

Tackling - Default (i feel the tackling options set in the player roles are sufficient, and opposing players that need to be dealt with can be done before games in the OP Instructions)

Marking - Man Marking (playing a 4-4-2 i feel this is the best option, personally i dont like to use Zonal but thats just personal prefference)

Crossing - Default (i dont like to pick from float or drill as i feel different situations require different crosses)

Roaming - Stick To Position (Again i want the players to stick the formation and the gameplan so this is a must)

I dont use any Playmakers or target men, I like the team to use different aroaches in different situations and not just look for certain players all the time.

So thats the First Phase complete, time for phase two, Match Prep

Myself i always create the same exact tactic 3 times and change just one detail, Starting Strategy, I only ever use Control, Counter and Attack. So i do this and save the 3 tactics. Why? In the match prer you can use 3 tactics to work on, in using the same tactic three times with just the starting strategy different the team get used to the tactics and become accomplished quicker and also it means all you have to do during a game is click instructions and change the starting strategy without have to load up a different tack everytime.

I also set Special Team Focus to Blend and set the workload to high.

Obvously this is only my way of doing things, currently level on points in the Blue Square Premier after winning the Blue Square North the season before with a record points tally http://img845.imageshack.us/f/leaguetablebsn.jpg/ By the way my media prediction is 21st but im flying high.

Did you think it was over? not just yet, we still have player specs which are as follows...

Wing Backs - Acceleration, Positioning, Crossing, Tackling

Stopper - Marking, Tackling, Heading, Strength, Positioning

Cover - Acceleration, Tackling, Anticipation, Heading, Positioning

Wingers - Pace, Acceleration, Dribbling, Crossing, Off The Ball

Ball Winning Midfielder - Tackling, Marking, Positioning, Passing, Strength

Advanced Playmaker - Dribbling, Passing, Creativity, Off The Ball, First Touch

Trequartista - Creativity, Off The Ball, Dribbling, Finishing

Poacher - Composure, Acceleration, Off The Ball, Anticipation

Also try to sign players with high Teamwork and Workrate!

So you can try this yourself, see how the instructions take effect and understand what things do and then try to produce your own (Its one thing for me to say it but to see it yourself and what the fruit of your labours is a great feeling). Or you could go on and develop your own straight away. If you are using this approach let me know how things go and if you have any questions let me know, always happy to help.

So for the people who have read and understand here is the download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?w96kcmyf348338v

There are the three sets i talked about above, Control, Attack and Counter. Control is the main tactic and no need to switch to the others just put them in your match prep tactics. during the game if you see your dominating the opposition but cant score switch to Attack in the instructions menu starting strategy, vise versa if their getting on top of you switch to counter. i switch anywhere from 3 to 5/6 times during a game to stay on top so watching key highlights is a must.

DONT STAY ON ATTACK FOR TOO LONG.

Thanks and let me know how you get on.

Well no doubt 442 is the best formation on the FM....

I play a similar formation, but i uses full backs, Box midfielders, target men instead of the wing backs, advance play-maker and tresquarista. I play with an attacking mentality, so i think my automatic FB does the wings job.

isn't a lot more easyer to upload the tactic and put some screeshots ? too much too read

a lot of tweaking 2 do

any oi's or shouts?

too much to read???ffs sometimes....

nice tactic mate and actually a good read.

but you have one its adam thomas here is your img http://img857.imageshack.us/f/formationinstructions.jpg/

or u didnt know?

Yes he is selected but the option is not ticked so it isn't being used.

Thanks mate, will give it a try. I will need to drop my right forward to amc, but i can keep the same instructions. Its a spurs save and I want to get VDV into the game. Cheers.

Great let me know how things go pal.

Okay so played first 10 games, mixed results really.

1. 1-3 L away loss at Man City, bit unlucky. - Control

2. 0-3 L Dinamo Kiev – got destroyed - Control

3. 1-0 W win at home at blackpool, battered them, couldn’t get 2nd goal. - Control

4. 0-0 D away at West Ham, Good result as played 20 mins with 9. - Control

5. 1-2 L home to braga, bad lose, we were better. – Control

6. 3-1 W home against Fulham, did better once switched to attacking. - Control

7. 3-1 L away to Arsenal in the LC, they battered me. - Control

8. 2-2 D away at Newcastle - Control

9. 0-2 W Away at partisan – Control

10. 0-3 L Home loss to Liverpool – Control

So after 10 games, I have won 3, drawn 2 and lost 5.

I don't want to give up yet, as I really want to get a 442, or 4411 working with spurs.

Okay so played first 10 games, mixed results really.

1. 1-3 L away loss at Man City, bit unlucky. - Control

2. 0-3 L Dinamo Kiev – got destroyed - Control

3. 1-0 W win at home at blackpool, battered them, couldn’t get 2nd goal. - Control

4. 0-0 D away at West Ham, Good result as played 20 mins with 9. - Control

5. 1-2 L home to braga, bad lose, we were better. – Control

6. 3-1 W home against Fulham, did better once switched to attacking. - Control

7. 3-1 L away to Arsenal in the LC, they battered me. - Control

8. 2-2 D away at Newcastle - Control

9. 0-2 W Away at partisan – Control

10. 0-3 L Home loss to Liverpool – Control

So after 10 games, I have won 3, drawn 2 and lost 5.

I don't want to give up yet, as I really want to get a 442, or 4411 working with spurs.

Try downloading my version and make set adjustments with your AMC and remember to switch during the game if you need to, let me know how that works mate.

Just out of curiosity what does it say in match prep? are you team comfortable with it yet? and have you set it to team blend with high workload?

too much to read???ffs sometimes....

nice tactic mate and actually a good read.

sometime when english is not your birth leanguage is a lot too read i didn't say that i didn't read i just said is a lot

good tactic though only that the results are mixed strugle when play against a big one most time loosing but when my team is even-favorite almost every time wins is good for LLM

Your tactic looks great and I'd really want to try it as I'm severely struggling. However my biggest problem is that I don't have a poacher and no money to buy one. Would this tactic work if I switched the poacher to a target man, especially when considering I have a great AMC to play as a terquartista? I've really been searching for a tactic to work with target men so any help would be appreciated!

The tactic works great against teams with a higher rep, ill post screenshots later to show how well it does, but yes it is great for lower league management.

As to changing the poacher to target man, try it and let me know how it works but maybe an advanced forward would be better if you dont have a poacher.

ill upload some more screenshots later, it really helps once your team are accomplished with the formation and style of play, after one and a half seasons my team is completely fluid with the tactic. keep at it and the results will come, you just have to try to understand the ME and when is the right time to switch the starting strategy and you can only do that with trial and error im affraid.

A Few more screenshots,

As i was saying about match prep and giving the team time to gel to the formation and tactics, this took me 1 and a half seasons to achieve however they where accomplished within a season.

http://img843.imageshack.us/i/matchprep.jpg/

And this is the Current league standing, i have a media prediction of 21st and the board expect me to struggle bravely against relegation, also every team i play are favourites to walk all over me in every game. Its not wokring out that way though :)

http://img705.imageshack.us/i/currentleauetable.jpg/

but you have one playmaker selected its adam thomas
Yes he is selected but the option is not ticked so it isn't being used.

What, if a player's in the box but the box isn't selected he's not used as a playmaker? I honestly didn't know that! Are you 100% positive about that?

Latest update of screenshots from my last game...

Given no chance by the media, maybe hopeful of snatching a draw on the counter

http://img716.imageshack.us/i/latestprediction.jpg/

As you can see it was far from that, we took the game to them.

http://img21.imageshack.us/i/lateststats.jpg/

And here is what the media thought of the game.

http://img21.imageshack.us/i/latestgame.jpg/

Anyone else using the tactic at the moment?

How is it going?

I'm using it with my media predicted 13th place Arsenal de Sarandí. First match, 0-3, awesooome. I'll report more at the end of the Apertura.

BTW who's your top scorer? For me the Trequartista has given indications that he'll be the top scorer.

I'm using it with my media predicted 13th place Arsenal de Sarandí. First match, 0-3, awesooome. I'll report more at the end of the Apertura.

BTW who's your top scorer? For me the Trequartista has given indications that he'll be the top scorer.

Great stuff. My poacher and trequartista get most of the team goals but the poacher normally tops the list come the end of the season :)

Let me know how things go and what you like about the tactic and also what you think could need improving, cheers.

How do you have your set pieces set? Default? And did you made any individual tweaks?

I believe everything is set to default except i think crossing are to near post and my best header attacking near post, rarely score of corners though so it is something i will look at improving.

I'm doing exceptionally well with blyth so i know this tactic works great for lower league management.

I am going to test it at the other end of the spectrum soon when i start my long term man utd save and will report back with findings as and when i have started.

I'll try this one out. Had too many defensive problems with Mr. Hughes winger tactics when being the underdog. This seems good at handling the role as the underdog, which has become my role too often.

My team is Aalborg BK from Danish Superliga. I am in second season.

Cheers for the upload mate. Will give this tactic a go with my Blackburn save.

We've been doing pretty well but my tactics seem to have faltered and we've dropped to 7th.

Will let you know how I get on.

Good read by the way!

Cheers for the upload mate. Will give this tactic a go with my Blackburn save.

We've been doing pretty well but my tactics seem to have faltered and we've dropped to 7th.

Will let you know how I get on.

Good read by the way!

Thanks for taking the time to read it and try out the tactic. i look forward to seeing how it does for you at blackburn. cheers

I'll try this one out. Had too many defensive problems with Mr. Hughes winger tactics when being the underdog. This seems good at handling the role as the underdog, which have become my role too often.

My team is Aalborg BK from Danish Superliga. I am in second season.

Good stuff i hope it works aswell for you as it does For me, remember to give the team time to gel to the new formation and post back if it works well for you or not, thanks

I haven't had much success yet: 4 losses, 1 win and 1 draw. But I think my central defenders are simply too weak for any tactic to work. Just gotta wait for the transfer window.

Yeah the centre backs are very important in this tactic. cover needs to be quick and have good anticipation to read whats happening, the stopper needs to be a good strong tackler.

the defense was the first thing i sorted out when i set up this tactic and then built up from their. like they say, "what goods a lead if you cant hold on to it"

let me know who you bring in and how they do.

Yeah the centre backs are very important in this tactic. cover needs to be quick and have good anticipation to read whats happening, the stopper needs to be a good strong tackler.

the defense was the first thing i sorted out when i set up this tactic and then built up from their. like they say, "what goods a lead if you cant hold on to it"let me know who you bring in and how they do.

Indeed, I'm conceding too much because I don't have a decent stopper.

the defense was the first thing i sorted out when i set up this tactic and then built up from their. like they say, "what goods a lead if you cant hold on to it"

let me know who you bring in and how they do.

So - my players seem to have upped their performance a bit. I now have a record of 4 league wins in a row, latest win was against league number one, FC Copenhagen, 2-1 away. That was my first win against them in this save game. Starting to look good - I still need to get some new defenders though. I'll let you know when I get some.

Edit: Another win. 5 in a row!

So - my players seem to have upped their performance a bit. I now have a record of 4 league wins in a row, latest win was against league number one, FC Copenhagen, 2-1 away. That was my first win against them in this save game. Starting to look good - I still need to get some new defenders though. I'll let you know when I get some.

Edit: Another win. 5 in a row!

Great stuff! like i said maybe they needed a little time to get used to the tactics and obviously for yourself to get used to knowing when to switch between strategy's, im glad you have stuck it out.

let me know how things go on getting a good stopper and how the rest of the season goes. thanks

EDIT: Also once the season has finished could you give me a review of the tactic in your opinions, defensive, attack, possession. It would be appreciated if you gave your input for others to read before trying the tactic themselves.

Cheers

I rarely change the strategy to "attack". When do you use it?

I only use attack when i am dominating the game and maybe need another goal to secure a stronger lead, either that or when the chips are down and we are in need of a goal.

Even in this situation i dont stay on attack if we still cant get a goal ill switch back to

whichever strategy suits the situation, i never stay on attack for too long.

most of the time control and counter do the job required.

how is the tactic doing for you so far?

I'm now using it on my other save with Belenenses, we're predicted to win the 2nd tier and I'm currently with a 14-1-1 record, not bad, 35 goals scored, only 8 conceded which is great, and I'm on a 8 match winning streak. My most common result is 2-0, I score the first goal in the first half and then eventually in the second half the second goal appears and then I start subbing and wasting time.

One thing I notice is that both my full backs don't have even one assist or one goal, so they are set up very attacking but that doesn't seem to have any immediate effect on them, what I think it does it that with their forward runs they open more space for the wingers. So FBs with good crossing is not really an important thing.

I'm now using it on my other save with Belenenses, we're predicted to win the 2nd tier and I'm currently with a 14-1-1 record, not bad, 35 goals scored, only 8 conceded which is great, and I'm on a 8 match winning streak. My most common result is 2-0, I score the first goal in the first half and then eventually in the second half the second goal appears and then I start subbing and wasting time.

One thing I notice is that both my full backs don't have even one assist or one goal, so they are set up very attacking but that doesn't seem to have any immediate effect on them, what I think it does it that with their forward runs they open more space for the wingers. So FBs with good crossing is not really an important thing.

Im glad its doing well for you, In regards to the wing backs, ive had a few assists from them over the season but yes i agree that they create lots of space for the wingers because of their forward runs.

I noticed too that the set up feels strong as not alot of goals are conceded during a season once your team are fluid with the tactic.

My thoughts on this tactic after using it:

First of all - thanks for doing the work on this tactic! :)

I have had some very varying results. At first, I got some really bad results. Then, I had a good period with 5 wins in a row and now, I am getting a lot of draws, often with a lot of goals. I think the defense is very vulnerable to fast strikers. I have brought in some older strong defenders: Per Krøldrup, Christopher Schindler and Elin Topuzakov. They are now some of the best defenders in the Danish league, but I still concede a lot of goals - especially from through passes through the middle. I have only had one clean sheet in 7 matches - and that was against the promoted team.

The attack creates quite some goals. Should be enough for wins, if it wasn't for the defense.

I am considering trying a new tactic, but I have decided to give this a final chance to prove it can create consistent results for the next half season. My players are skilled enough for a top 3 position in the league, but I am currently placed 5th, just outside the continental qualifications.

Edit: By the way, maybe you should look at some more specific corner instructions. :)

Archived