Individual Training Focuses - new and gone

Positioning and Off the Ball appear to have been removed with the latest patch.

Tackling is now included.

Have to say this frustrates me.

I liked to take players lacking in off the ball (wingers) or positioning (full backs) and train them up to a higher level.

In fact, I had just bought a couple of full backs with <10 positioning. Now I will just sell them on whereas before I would turn them into top defenders.

The tackling will surely create some superhuman CM players.

You'll need good training facilities to allow certain individual training focus like positioning.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing with us.

I'm under the impression though that it should be more to do with coaches, rather than the facilities. I mean, training individually on something like movement doesn't require particularly good facilities really, does it? It probably requires a good coach though

Hmmm.... How, exactly, would a player focus on his movement off the ball? What are the facilities he would use, specifically? Would it perhaps require alternative sports, like tennis or squash? That's one way I see a player getting better at where he needs to be to respond to fast movement....

off the ball is related to how intelligent a player's movement is in a footballing sense, not how quickly they move, so I don't see why other sports would be relevant.

It really would just involve a coach instructing him and teaching him out on the field imo

While we're on about individual training, can someone give me a bit of advice please? It'll save me having to start another thread on the same subject. How long is it necessary to keep a player on his assigned regime? I've had some players stuck on stuff for weeks (game time) and there hasn't been a single sign of improvement, although of course after reading through the posts here, that might well be down to my lack of facilities and stuff.... in fact any advice on what has worked for you on this matter would be gratefully received.

It requires as long as it takes. Some players will lack the professionalism or determination to increase their attributes at all, some will have already reached their PA and will not have space to improve their attributes further.

What sort of players have you been trying to improve certain attributes of? Are they young players who are meant to have good potential, or are they players at the peak of their career?

While we're on about individual training, can someone give me a bit of advice please? It'll save me having to start another thread on the same subject. How long is it necessary to keep a player on his assigned regime? I've had some players stuck on stuff for weeks (game time) and there hasn't been a single sign of improvement, although of course after reading through the posts here, that might well be down to my lack of facilities and stuff.... in fact any advice on what has worked for you on this matter would be gratefully received.

As far as individual training goes, I tried it with a young striker at age 18 to improve his acceleration and pace from 10. After like 5 or 6 seasons with quickness as individual training and heavy aerobic, his acceleration and pace goes up by 4 or 5 points, now lying at 14 or 15 at age 24. So, I'm guessing attribute rise about 1 point average per season. For technical attribute, it might be higher but I doubt it will go up more than 2 points per season for each category. The attribute improvement probably will spread across the board IMO depending on his training workload in each category.

And for individual training, I'm guessing it would probably improve less than 1 attribute point per season, but this is just my observation.

Most of my squad are 'young up and coming' players with (hopefully) plenty of scope for improvement. I'm playing right down in the lower leagues (first season after promotion to Blue Square North) so I'm now thinking my facilities are probably a big cause in why I see no improvment, or very little of it anyway. With my few older players I tend not to bother too much with, working on the basis of 'can't teach old dogs new tricks'.

As far as individual training goes, I tried it with a young striker at age 18 to improve his acceleration and pace from 10. After like 5 or 6 seasons with quickness as individual training and heavy aerobic, his acceleration and pace goes up by 4 or 5 points, now lying at 14 or 15 at age 24. So, I'm guessing attribute rise about 1 point average per season. For technical attribute, it might be higher but I doubt it will go up more than 2 points per season for each category. The attribute improvement probably will spread across the board IMO depending on his training workload in each category.

And for individual training, I'm guessing it would probably improve less than 1 attribute point per season, but this is just my observation.

OK thanks for that mate, I think maybe I'm expecting things to happen a little bit to soon then, I'm better off just putting them on a course and leaving them... Cheers mate

Also, the player I tested has rather high potential and I'm playing at R Madrid which has highest or close to highest possible training facility. So, that might factor in as well.

Yes I see your point mate, I'll have to be a little more patient and learn to wait a while longer....lol

Thanks again.

Training facilities went from 3 silver stars to 2 gold stars in one renovation.

I can now train positioning and off the ball.

Both can be taught on a playing field so not sure why the facilities matter too much.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing with us.

I'm under the impression though that it should be more to do with coaches, rather than the facilities. I mean, training individually on something like movement doesn't require particularly good facilities really, does it? It probably requires a good coach though

Riz has certainly added knowledge that has until now been unknown by the community. However, i too find it odd. I don't see how facilities are all-important and agree that coaching is more valid. In addition, with skills such as 'off the ball' I'd have thought that good tutoring would be the most effective way. Currently tutoring only affects mental (personality) attributes and PPMs. Surely if a young player idolises an older player, he'd practise to emulate his skills such as movement, free kicks etc., and the older player would spent time on the training ground helping him. In FM tutoring appears to take place through cosy bonding in the bar rather than on the training ground and pitch.

All learning requires both motoric and mental activity. Simply "telling them what to do" won't have any effect. Also, to have someone improve specifically(instead of just generally, like with tactics training set at "high"), I would believe that some forms of concretizations of their movement is what the big clubs do, and that a normal field will be too abstract. This is what lead me to believe that SI believes in some form of alternative training when it comes to improving those two stats.

It would be intresting to see exactly what they have in mind though...

Archived