Possesion Problems

In my Anderlecht save I am playing a 4-4-2, sometimes I win, but the annoying this is I am completely getting dominated by other teams in the possession count, for instance I had a friendly against Panathainakos in which they won 2-1 and they had 70% of the possession compared to my 30 and many of my players passing is set to short. Any tips on how to improve in possession with the ball?

If its set too short your players might struggle to find a pass and get robbed or hoof it anywhere. On your match stats check which players are giving the ball away lots and maybe increase their passing slightly. It could also be a tempo problem. A too high tempo (especially with a new team that havent blended yet) might mean they are rushing passes and making mistakes. Maybe your players are spread out too far 2 and your players arent having enough options to pass to.

If its set too short your players might struggle to find a pass and get robbed or hoof it anywhere. On your match stats check which players are giving the ball away lots and maybe increase their passing slightly. It could also be a tempo problem. A too high tempo (especially with a new team that havent blended yet) might mean they are rushing passes and making mistakes. Maybe your players are spread out too far 2 and your players arent having enough options to pass to.

Yes maybe you're right, my tempo is a bit too high and how would you reccomend that I do the with of the team?

watch the full 90 minutes, watch your players closely. if someone does something you don't like, change the tactics to stop them doing it...

if a player is struggling to find a pass, check player mentalities so they don't get too far ahead of/behind the player with the ball. He should have 3 good options at a minimum, if he hasn't - it's your tactics!

By watching a game in full you get to see what your players are doing right and what they're doing wrong. You can see where closing down needs to be increased and where it needs to be reduced. If a player is set to make forward runs but not to run with the ball it could be that he is getting caught in possession. There are loads of things that could be going wrong, your job is to "fix em" ;)

I'm not so much meaning the width, more the gap between the defence, midfield and attack. It could be anyone of those things. The best thing to do is watch the first few games and see what exactly is causing your possesion problem. Thats the only real way of telling you whats going wrong.

Thanks for that people, how would I make the gap between the defence and midfield closer?

what does your assistant say about your tactics? When you are playing a match, what does he say in his feedback? That's the clue as to where your tactics are weak, ideally you want him to be saying "I have nothing to note about our tactics" for the whole 90 minutes but if he isn't then he's telling you where the problems are..

Are your opponents playing a tactic with three in the middle (or playing very narrow)? If you're playing a 4-4-2 with wingers against a 4-5-1 or variants it's not at all unusual for the 4-5-1 team to dominate possession, because they have three players versus your two in central midfield and so control that zone.

what does your assistant say about your tactics? When you are playing a match, what does he say in his feedback? That's the clue as to where your tactics are weak, ideally you want him to be saying "I have nothing to note about our tactics" for the whole 90 minutes but if he isn't then he's telling you where the problems are..

sometimes he says we are keeping possession very well which is encouraging but when I play a team who is on the same level or better he says that we are "gifting possession to them" at this point sometimes I do not have a clue o how to regain possesion in my favour

Are your opponents playing a tactic with three in the middle (or playing very narrow)? If you're playing a 4-4-2 with wingers against a 4-5-1 or variants it's not at all unusual for the 4-5-1 team to dominate possession, because they have three players versus your two in central midfield and so control that zone.

I'l have to watch for that because I hate being dominated

I see, but can I know what plaer instructions you set for your players if you want to keep the ball ebcause for one match I lined up 4-3-3 and still struggling to dominate the posession.

shouldn't you be asking for tactics help in the tactics forum? Those guys in there will know better than *most* of us GD lot...

each of my players has his instructions that tell him how I want him to play... some will be more direct passing than others, some will be more attack-minded than others, if i were to list each of my players PI's I may as well give you the tactic... (not a chance :p)

Archived