4-4-2 Roles

Just wondering what roles people set for the 2 central midfield players. I use a fairly standard defence full backs (auto) CB (defend) Wingers (attack) Forwards (DL Support AF attack)

At the minute i use one defend and one auto. Any tips or improvements ?

Just wondering what roles people set for the 2 central midfield players. I use a fairly standard defence full backs (auto) CB (defend) Wingers (attack) Forwards (DL Support AF attack)

I always like to have one ball winning defensive minded midfielder and one attack/support central midfielder. E.g I played as spurs and had Tom Huddlestone/Sandro as the defensive guy and Little Luka Modric as the attacking one. Seemed to work a treat.

A typical standard 442 would see a defensive and a supporting midfielder.

Currently I have a defensive "Ball winning midfielder" & a supporting "Central Midfielder"

In the past I've used both a "Box to box" midfielder and an "Advanced playmaker" in the supporting role depending on the player.

I've also used a "Deep lying playmaker" in the defensive role but I normally make other adjustments to my tactics to allow for him.

I use ball winner support and box to box for central mids in home games. Full backs auto, cb's both limited defender stopper, advanced wingers as inside forwards attack and strikers as defensive forward attack and deep lying forward support.

Ball winner defend and ball winner support for away games for central mids, the rest the same as in home games except full backs set to defend duty and inside forwards set to support.

Currently I have a defensive "Ball winning midfielder" & a supporting "Central Midfielder"

Same here. I currently play a 4-2-3-1 Wide with my full backs having attacking wing back roles so I want my two central defenders and at least one of the two central midfielders to stay back when attacking.

Took over Mainz in the first season and finished a terrible 13th, in the second season, i switched to a 4-4-2 with ML/MR attacking wingers and 2 x MC Box to box and they've helped us achieve a 5th place finish this time around.

Both the box-to-box players i've got are generally "all rounders" with attributes spread across technical, defensive, mental and physical, with special attention paid to work-rate and stamina :thup:

Ball-winning midfielder on defend and advanced playmaker on attack work wonders for me when I have the right players. The playmaker needs to have high workrate, teamwork, and speed in order for it to work.

Archived