Dutch Total Football-The whole story

Total football was effective because of the players swapping positions vertically. At the time Catenaccio was the system that needed breaking down, which was a man marking system. Because of all the position swapping in total football the man marking systems were broken down. It's pretty much impossible to replicate the system exactly because of how limited the "swap position" function is and because it's almost impossible to find players that are versatile enough.

But it's true, Barcelona is a modern interpretation of total football. But instead of a man marking system, it needs to be able to break down a zonal marking system. But these systems are as much about player's skills as they are about tactics. For any barcelona tactic to work you need a team with amazing off the ball and creativity skills. You simply can't play like barcelona with blackburn rovers.

Have to agree with Frank on this one. Modern football is (or atleast so it seem to me) about OTB player movement. It's all about the space the attacking or supporting players without the ball make. If you think of it its obvious, theres only one ball so only one player can have the possesion of the ball at any given time. So there's nine outfield players without the ball (in the team with the ball), so they have to be active as the days of Pele or Maradona are long gone.

So in FM terms firstly I'd put emphasis on attributes such as OTB and work rate. And also tactically to play 'like barca' I'd think that there should be quite a lot of roaming allowed to players.

BTW my 'barca like' tactic that I've been using for 10 season with QPR is 433 flat and narrow and I'm using the TC. But more of that tactic in some other thread, maybe, some day..

-SnUrF

Modern football demands extremely good physical and tactical preperation .You need to give to your players schemes ,principles and clear ideas on how to do what .Its the so called know-how .

Then its very importand what kind of players you have .Its very smart to be flexible and to try to take the best from the roster that you have .In case that you need to make transfers ,the criteria

should be speed ,multi positional flexibility and so on .Maybe a player is playing just one position ,however his characteristics are balanced and various .So you can build the players as you wish

according to their characteristics .Off the ball is not when you unmark to get the ball .Off the ball movement is the whole movement of the player during the game without ball .I want to focus here because

when team has possesion there is the fake impression that dominates .Its all about quality and not quantity .Can you score enough and at the same time to be dangerous in counter attacks ?

Football has a lot of elements .Ball possession if one of them but not the most important .You steal the ball ,so now you need to make build up ,triangulations ,automatic moves and so on .

So ,you need to work many related to possession schedules .Its like you want to create a tactic but you have just one "topic" on your mind .Ball possession .Its inevitable that sooner or later you will need

to add more things and to build the tactic again .The basic schemes should be several .The so called tactic orientation .FM shows how much to work .Not in which direction to work .In a typical

4-3-3 you can show unlimited combinations with or without the ball .But FM shows just how much to work in training and what kind of tactics to prepare .There is huge difference between the real

football and FM .The question is ,Does FM represents reality as it is ?You can overcome zonal marking system if you scout the opponent and if you focus on his weaknesses .We have as well the mental

approach of the game and unfortunately the majority of coaches avoid even to open their mouth .You need to give your line to the players ,to respect their views but keeping distance is vital .

There are no fantastic relationships .Relationships are created from victories ,good results and long term working plan .If you change every week way of thinking and if you judge your players according to

the result ,I afraid that you cheat yourself .Modern football needs delicate approach ,but the coach who is mentally tougher is the one who always survives ,no matter if his football is modern or no .

We need to distinguish things and to see rounder some certain parameters like : Demands ,abilities ,management style,club name .

Put three different clubs under these parameters :Three totally different stories ,three very different cases .So it depends on how you can play modern football and under which conditions .

Of course I enjoy modern football ,total football but I consider very well the potential that every team has .

The link is working but anyway I repaired it .Server is hosting the files so he is responsible for every issue .If you need some help about tactics or trainings take a look Here

Moved into Tactics Sharing Centre (Upload/Download), as this thread seems like it'll be more about discussing the tactic in the OP, than about Total Football as a detailed discussion topic.

Shout Cleon or myself if you feel this is a wrong move on my part though. :)

Archived