The reasons you would use holiday mode?

Hi everyone.

Just looking to get a discussions going on why/when people use holiday mode. Me personally I have only ever used it when I am unemployed and looking for a job. (holiday indefinatly, stop when offered a job). Other than that I would never ever use it as there is always so much to look at and do.

I noticed a lot of people do it and was just curious to see in what situations.

Hope for some intersting replies

Hi everyone.

Just looking to get a discussions going on why/when people use holiday mode. Me personally I have only ever used it when I am unemployed and looking for a job. (holiday indefinatly, stop when offered a job). Other than that I would never ever use it as there is always so much to look at and do.

I noticed a lot of people do it and was just curious to see in what situations.

Hope for some intersting replies

Much like yourself I only use it when I'm unemployed.

Only used Hoilday Mode if your team out of all the competions........it would be nice if there INSTANT RESULT for FM 2012 instead going through the match that you already won the premier league title or in middle of premier league positions.......

When on a BIG run of poor form, I'll holiday a week to see if my assistant can improve things.

Meant to do this a couple of nights ago, fell asleep and the next morning found my assistant manager had lost the league by one point and had left the club

Meant to do this a couple of nights ago, fell asleep and the next morning found my assistant manager had lost the league by one point and had left the club

lol thats what scares me about using it for matches. I imagine a 7-0 drubbing and an angry chairman asking me where the hell i'd been lol

I use it for the Club world championships and that super cup nonsense whatever it's called. I see no reason to take these events seriously, it's just a nuisance to have it in an already jam packed schedule for me.

Also in feeder club friendlies that I can't cancel. And community shield. Totally pointless games. Almost wanna do it in League cup too, but at least that gives me a chance to field my young ones for a few games.

I never use this feature, i tried it once when the feature was first introduced but didn't see the point of it tbh, i bought the game to play it lol

I can see why some people would use it though for reasons stated above (getting past a bug, unemployment) but i prefer to click the continue button :)

to skip the first 2 seasons, so you still have all the real players who are younger, and have a good number of regens in the game, so you dont just go out and buy all the best kids, you have to scout for them.

I can see why you do that although I never sign anyone who has not been reccomended by my scouts anyway. I have to say though I quite like that Idea although dont know if I have the patience to holiday through 2 seasons lol

I holiday through every match. I pick the team and the tactics and then holiday for a day. Main reason I do it is because I can't seem to score a goal when I watch the match. Despite having 20-30 attempts per game, almost any time I watch a game it ends 0-0 or a 1-0 defeat, with the opposition scoring from their one and only chance. That chance normally happens in the first 5 minutes. But when I go on holiday I usually win by a couple of goals. Same team and tactics, different results on holiday and watching the game.

All cup matches except Champions League and Europa League. Can't stand them. It's funny how I can go and win the FA-cup for an example, and I get the credit for it ; )

Also the job searching part, that would be a pain in the ass without holiday.

I holiday through every match. I pick the team and the tactics and then holiday for a day. Main reason I do it is because I can't seem to score a goal when I watch the match. Despite having 20-30 attempts per game, almost any time I watch a game it ends 0-0 or a 1-0 defeat, with the opposition scoring from their one and only chance. That chance normally happens in the first 5 minutes. But when I go on holiday I usually win by a couple of goals. Same team and tactics, different results on holiday and watching the game.

Maybe it's because your ass manager does changes through the game that you don't do when watching the game. The purpose of watching a game (instead of knowing just the result) is not only to WATCH, but to be able to adjust things throughout the match.

As for the topic, I never use holidays. Other than being unemployed or to skip a bug issue, I really don't see the point on getting vacations... I've thought about going on holidays right after the league is over, like in real life, but that's when important market movements happen, so I really don't want to miss good deals just to emulate that part of real life.

I usually set up all my scouting manually and then holiday to a few specific key dates when new regens come in. I set up all my tactics and fist team selections and holiday between the transfer windows. This way I can see if there are any worthy regens (I keep a strict 180 PA minimum) that will make my squad. I only sign under 18 players. I always start with Arsenal so there is no need to build the club from the ground up. I ensure the training and tutoring is set and everyone has good contracts so that none of my coaches can be poached while I'm gone. This allows me to focus on scouting and bringing in quality players. Doing this, I usually win the PL & Champions Cup 2/3 seasons. Since I sign players so young, I always sign them for max years and it keeps my costs down. I usually take over Barca in 3-4 years as the riches club in the world.

To me the most fun is the scouting and player development. If I can win games without actually coaching them, then I'm cool with it. My goal is to be the richest & best club in the world, not to win every year, but to constantly compete for PL titles and Champions cups. The only thing that sucks about the way I do it is I can't designate a second team to play the FA and League cups instead of my starters.

Maybe it's because your ass manager does changes through the game that you don't do when watching the game. The purpose of watching a game (instead of knowing just the result) is not only to WATCH, but to be able to adjust things throughout the match.

As for the topic, I never use holidays. Other than being unemployed or to skip a bug issue, I really don't see the point on getting vacations... I've thought about going on holidays right after the league is over, like in real life, but that's when important market movements happen, so I really don't want to miss good deals just to emulate that part of real life.

I agree with this. I couldn't holiday through a match because for me personally it would take away half of the managing. One of the most enjoyable things for me is to see that little tweak pay off

Yeah? What does he do that I don't think of doing? I outplay the opposition in every aspect of the match. I make at least 10 great goal scoring opportunities in a game (I'm talking one on one situations) but my world class strikers either miss from 5 yards or their keeper pulls of one unbelievable save after another. Whereas they will shoot from 40 yards and it will fly in past my world class goalkeeper. However if i watch the highlights of a game after holidaying through it the same striker bags a hat-trick all from similar situations that I would have had if I watched the game.

Watching games is too damn infuriating for me - holiday mode all the way.

I often have (even after the patch) when watching a game something like 22 shots and 11 on target. The opposition team has only 1 chance the whole game and I still lose 2-1.

I holiday the game and I win the match - every time.

I've tried various approaches. Strengthening the midfield, bolstering the defence, changing mentality. Fact is, that the opposition scores within the first 4 minutes with their first and only shot of the game.

I work the ball into the box, pump it in, pass to feet, pass to space, work the flanks, work the middle, hard tackling, soft tackling (still get players sent off), two strikers, one striker, three strikers, different roles.

Same result | 20 + shots, 10 + on target, 1 goal

There is something really wrong. How, in every game, can you have 20 + shots and 11 on target and score only 1 goal? It makes no sense. Perhaps in one game it makes sense, bad luck or whatever. But 5, 10 , 15 games in a row?

Holiday a game and you win it. Play the game and it's frustrating, especially when every game has the same result of 20 + shots and 1 goal.

Again I've tried many different tactics over various time periods, and it's always the same.

I often have (even after the patch) when watching a game something like 22 shots and 11 on target. The opposition team has only 1 chance the whole game and I still lose 2-1.

I holiday the game and I win the match - every time.

I've tried various approaches. Strengthening the midfield, bolstering the defence, changing mentality. Fact is, that the opposition scores within the first 4 minutes with their first and only shot of the game.

I work the ball into the box, pump it in, pass to feet, pass to space, work the flanks, work the middle, hard tackling, soft tackling (still get players sent off), two strikers, one striker, three strikers, different roles.

Same result | 20 + shots, 10 + on target, 1 goal

There is something really wrong. How, in every game, can you have 20 + shots and 11 on target and score only 1 goal? It makes no sense. Perhaps in one game it makes sense, bad luck or whatever. But 5, 10 , 15 games in a row?

Holiday a game and you win it. Play the game and it's frustrating, especially when every game has the same result of 20 + shots and 1 goal.

Again I've tried many different tactics over various time periods, and it's always the same.

Its a real shame that happens mate. Like I said previously one of the most enjoyable things for me is seeing that tweak pay off in a game. The main thing tho is as long as you get enjoyment out of it then it really dioesnt matter how you play it.

This is proving to be quite an interesting thread if I do say so myslef lol

Seems a bit too tweaky though.

I have great players. And even playing lower teams I get players sent off, sometimes two in the same match. All the fines in the world doesn't stop them getting sent off. Nor does switching to a less agressive tackling setting (although I didn't set them to hard tackling prior to the game but even soft tackling and I still get players sent off).

So I holiday the games, I win by scoring a fair ratio of shots per goal. Plus I don't get as many sending offs.

If it was only 1 in every 20 games I could live with it. But it's too often for my likings.

Really turned off the game at the moment. Waited with baited breath for 11.3 and so disappointed.

I play the game a bit like a director of football rather than a manager.

No idea why it appeals to me more but I just don't get a kick out of playing the matches whereas I love taking a small club and finding young talented players eventually taking them to success and riches. I'm sure many people would say I'm missing out on a lot of the game but I find it a lot more interesting to find a good ass man, tell him to play with my tactics and holiday a couple of months at a time. At least doing it my way I never get the feeling that the AI is cheating in matches. One way or another your tactics and player quality tends to out over the season in holiday mode. It didn't used to be very viable in previous iterations when the ass man would have half your team wanting to leave but it's spot on these days. Also, I like the long term effects on a club but I just don't have the time to play 30 season saves while playing all the games.

I know- I need to get out more.

This :thup:

I also holiday if I want to "start a game in the future".

I play the game a bit like a director of football rather than a manager.

No idea why it appeals to me more but I just don't get a kick out of playing the matches whereas I love taking a small club and finding young talented players eventually taking them to success and riches. I'm sure many people would say I'm missing out on a lot of the game but I find it a lot more interesting to find a good ass man, tell him to play with my tactics and holiday a couple of months at a time. At least doing it my way I never get the feeling that the AI is cheating in matches. One way or another your tactics and player quality tends to out over the season in holiday mode. It didn't used to be very viable in previous iterations when the ass man would have half your team wanting to leave but it's spot on these days. Also, I like the long term effects on a club but I just don't have the time to play 30 season saves while playing all the games.

I know- I need to get out more.

Hey!!!! I do exactly the same thing, I just holiday the matches cos watching them annoys me. Don't like holidaying for months at a time because when u come back you have tnnes of news messages to go through.

I holiday between games, painful to keep hitting space when i run such a big database. Other than that tricky situations where i don't have the right players for squad registrations and the may till mid june holiday at the end of the season.

I sometimes holiday through games I can't be bothered to play myself, won basically everything forr the last 5 years so sometimes it can get tedious going through the formality of beating a team 4- or 5 nil when you can just holiday it and get the same score.

I sometimes holiday between the end of the season and when new youth players spwan but thats about it rly.

Yeah? What does he do that I don't think of doing? I outplay the opposition in every aspect of the match. I make at least 10 great goal scoring opportunities in a game (I'm talking one on one situations) but my world class strikers either miss from 5 yards or their keeper pulls of one unbelievable save after another. Whereas they will shoot from 40 yards and it will fly in past my world class goalkeeper. However if i watch the highlights of a game after holidaying through it the same striker bags a hat-trick all from similar situations that I would have had if I watched the game.

Watching games is too damn infuriating for me - holiday mode all the way.

That is the very spreaded problem with FM11 about having too many one-on-one and then too many misses. But not only I've heard this is no longer an issue with the new patch (Haven't tried that much, but until now I can say that that problem may be over), also, and most important, your problem is related to a specific version (and issue) of the game. It didn't seem you choose to go on holidays based on that specific problem. Imagine that that problem is out in this (or another future) patch; would you go on holidays as well?

If you only go on holiday because of that issue, then I would understand it completely (I find that issue unbareble, that's why I was back to FM10, waiting for the solving patch).

Never...

Winter/summer breaks are key moments for the transfer market, so there's no point in skipping them.

Also international breaks are ideal for doing some scouting or for evaluating how, say, training and development have been working.

I'm never been unemployed so I don't need to skip time while waiting for a job offer.

The only way I go on holiday is in "control" saves, where I need datas from the future, but that doesn't really count as I'm not actually playing the game...

When I'm playing a 'proper' game, virtually never. If I holiday through blank periods (pre-season for example), I just know I'll miss something important, the game processes at a pretty fast pace anyway.

The only times I really ever holiday is either to escape a bug (which I don't think I've actually ever had to do) or when testing one of my data updates.

Archived