Premiership Challenge Clan FMEL II

fmelcopyvs1uh2.jpg

Hello and welcome to the Premiership Challenge thread. This is the second year of running this clan which guarantees success, heartbreak and a whole lot of banter as the seasons go on. There will be plenty of tough times ahead, arguments will happen and there will be times where you just cant take it no more and as a result throw a tantrum and possibly kick your modem out of place if your names Carly but that's what this game does to you if your losing but if your winning its a different story and you will treated like royalty......well maybe not but you may get a pat on the back from the others We mainly have members who played last time around with 1 new addition which brings the total amount of players up to 12 for the start of Football Manager 08.

After a successful 11 season playing in La Liga last time around we have decided to move to the English Premiership this time around.

The clan will again play two nights a week. Those two nights being Sunday and Tuesday. Both sessions will be 7pm till 12am Although I advice all members to be on msn at 6:30pm because that is when t+t starts.

Also members don't need to writer update as lets face it, no really like doing them as there are better things to do with your time but if any players wants to do a team update feel free to do so. Each season we will vote for a player of the year and the winner of that we be required to write a predations' report for the following season.

The team draw has already taken place and the teams are as follows:

David - Blackburn

Carl - West Ham

Demi - Pompey

Matt - Spurs

Justin - Reading

Williams - Man City

Danny - Everton

Andy - Newcastle

Rick - Boro

Razor - Bolton

Marc - Villa

Gary - Sunderland

As no one else apart from Justin has asked to changed teams by now these will be the teams that the players will be starting the 08 season with

We currently are full with 12 member so please don't post in this thread about joining.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fmelcopyvs1uh2.jpg

Predictions 07/08 Season

Tottenham - Matt

We have already had a major debate over this in the clan icon_smile.gif, providing the Spurs researcher keeps up to his promise of increasing the Tottenham bank balance even Mr. Hooker would admit his team are in prime position to finish the season in top place out of the human teams. Partly I'm basing this on how well Matt done with his Osasuna team in our Football Manager 07 game and partly to do with the team Tottenham start off with at the start of the game.

Premiership position: 5th

Key player: Berbatov

Everton - Danny

Everton start off with a strong team but after already playing the demo with them I have realized that a couple of injuries really affect the team, a good transfer budget of 8 million for a mid table finish will help with building up the squad but one eye has to be kept on the finances with the crippling 50 million loan. I have a big named striker in mind but if I can't sign that player I will invest in youth for want will hopefully be a bright future for Everton.

Premiership position: 6th

Key player: Arteta

Man City - Dave

So far I have been impressed with the Manchester City team both in the demo and in real life (apart from the Chelsea game). Big Dave Williams has three of the best young players in the game in the shape of Richards, Onuoha and Sturridge add to this a healthy bank balance and the impressive Elano there manager can look forward to a good future providing he keeps his job, which has been a problem in other clan games icon_wink.gif.

Premiership position: 7th

Key player: Elano

Aston Villa - Marc

Marc always creates weird looking formation that work a treat but then has a habit to change that winning formation which backfires. With some good youngsters in the team already and the best starting off transfer budget Villa will be a team to watch this season.

Premiership position: 8th

Key player: Barry

Newcastle - Andy

Probably got one of the best picks out of everyone as Newcastle have a lot going for them they have just been taken over by a man that will put money into the club and have a massive stadium. Add to this they also have Owen and Martins up front but weather Andy can get them working together in the same formation will be a different thing. If the new manager can add a couple of decent defenders then Newcastle will be a team to beat.

Premiership position: 9th

Key player: Owen

Portsmouth - Demi

Another team that has big bucks to spend to add to an already class team, Demi proved at Real Madrid once he had the funds he knew a good player or two but at Pompey I'm sure he will not be able to attract the same class of player.

Premiership position: 10th

Key player: Muntari

West Ham - Carly

The main thing you can count on with Carl is there will be a lot of transfer activity each and every summer. The Hammers start with a good budget and lots of players to sell to raise more funds so I'm sure the manager was more than happy to get the job. Each season the players need time to gel so I can see a slow start of Carl this year but hopefully he learn from his old mistakes and give his squad time to settle before he sells them on. He found out the hard way at Betis spending 500 million icon_wink.gif doesn't buy you a trophy.

Premiership position: 11th

Key player: Green

Blackburn - David

with having on eye on Europe and not exactly have the biggest squad this may be a problem for David but his already proven he is a good manager after the fine job he done at Villarreal. With Gamst, McCarthy and Derbyshire in the team Blackburn have the class to pull of a few surprises along the way but one of David's first jobs as the new manager will be too lower the age of the squad.

Premiership position: 12th

Key player: Gamst

Reading - Justin

I played the demo a few times so far and the one thing that always happened was Reading were in the top 8th by the end of December, they seem slightly overrated by the researcher which can only be a good thing for our new member. Justin is the unknown element of the clan so it hard to guess where he finish but he talks a good game and hopefully he prove to be a good addition to the clan.

Premiership position: 13th

Key player: Lita

Middleborough - Rick

El **** head himself icon_biggrin.gif, it will depend how much time Rick spends down the pub over the course of the game as to how his team fairs. He came close to turning the corner a few times with Deportivo but then would miss a session and be back to square one. Boutly proved last time he can scout a good player and credit must go to him by finding Parkinson and a number of good South Americas, so with the Chairman backing the manager could turn them into a force.

Premiership position: 14th

Key player: Woodgate

Sunderland - Gary

Gary has one of the hardest jobs in the clan keeping Sunderland in the Premiership and if will have to do better than he did in Valencia. I'm going to tip them for relegation but hopefully I will be proven wrong but looking at the team I don't see enough class in the team for them to stay up, also I'm sure Gary will sign more Scottish players will not help his cause.

Premiership position: 18th

Key player: Gordon

Bolton - Simon

An old ageing team with only a couple of good players in Anelka and Nolan so again I can only see a season ending in relegation but if Razor can get a formation that get EL Sulk scoring then maybe there is hope. With Hardly no money it might be a good thing as it save the old boy wasting money on crap players like Bo storm like he did at Valencia.

Premiership position: 19th

Key player: Gordon

We currently are full with 12 member so please don't post in this thread about joining.

look like I'm the first then icon_cool.gif

Thanks for a great opening post Danny. Really whet my appetite for the new game... I'm fairly optimistic for Blackburn but have the same problem as Everton - one or two injuries affects the team badly.. Not too much to spend either plus I'll have to start paying pensions to a few of the squad after a season or two icon_biggrin.gif

Let's hope the patch is out soon and it's a good one!

Nice predctions m8, I have just won the league and FA cup double in my first season at Villa (4th attempt), but was really strange, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal all finished outside top 4, when on my other attempts Man U were unbeatable and Chelsea were the powerfull team u would expect, Ashley Young and Luke moore are quality and the big transfer budjet certainly helps, although I have no doubt it will all change with the patch as I was winning most games 3-2 or 4-3, making my Def Mid useless, as to my formations I will be sticking with my 4 1 2 3 using a big target man for long and nippy wingers to play of the big man, so the normal annoying no possesion few shots but winning scorelines expected just like in la Liga lol

icon_biggrin.gif

I couldn't get my old style to work with this version of a big target man, counter attack & pace from midfield Debtu but maybe that was because of the DMC problem, I just found I'd concede so many goals from allowing them so much of the ball.

Using a 4312 formation with Hendon in the dafuge challenge right now, very much a standard tactic but more attacking then I usually am. It has been solid though & I've got 2 straight promotions from blue square north into league 2 where I currently sit top of the league with 5 games left. I might try that with Spurs to see how it does but I feel more confident now the tactical side of things with the closing down is more reliable.

I want top the first season but I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 of Everton, Villa, Newcastle or Man City flying high early on. So much depends on this first transfer window & who we go for, could be a nightmare or a dream.

I think there are alot of teams that can challenge Matt, not got the betta patch yet to see how this changes things but evertyone seemed to be beating everyone, even with my flucky title win I lost 10 games and drew 8, think it just shows the strenght of the EPL when outside the top 4 teams like Spurts, Everton, Villa, man City, Newcastle, Pompy and the Hammers can all compete and should be quite a leveal playing field after 3 seasons depending on transfers and results, on my 1 player game I obviousley choose a higher transfer balance than I will in a clan game, so dont know how well I will do with 10m less lol

Originally posted by razor123:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dunga99:

Clan Announcement

I forgot to put this in the first two post, we will be starting once the full patch is out so I'm guessing about 2 weeks icon_smile.gif

So who's Gordon at Bolton? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's making a clone for you of the Sunderland GK I think icon_wink.gif

this is where you are all hiding

formation is much better now the patch has been installed , all thou cant get my wierd 4312 with inward arrows to work this time

so using that wierd 4231 formation that i started with in 07 , if any of you remember it , the one you liked danny

same problem with it thou , tonnes of possesion but not may shots ...if i can just get my lone striker to stay upfront then im laffin (he seems to wonder left , right and deep )

Not sure what's going on with tactics here... Had a great tactic for the demo but it was rubbish with the beta patch. Made some adjustments and it was fine but suddenly became useless in my second season. Must have been the new signings... I guess I should stick with the original starting XI tıll they are all OAPs - 3 or 4 seasons for Blackburn then!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by dudester:

I need to work out how to not leak 50 goals a season icon_confused.gif

Was simple pre patch went through a season conceding 29 goals pretty decent for Newcastle but now just doesn't happen.

Let me know how you get on, I can't stop my defenders letting the strikers get in behind them every game for easy chances, no matter what defensive line I play or wether its tight marking etc. Playing offside is suicidal as you just end up getting about 10 offside goals scored against you every 6 months.

finally winning

took lots of swearing and blood n guts , but i have done it

To be followed by lots more swearing when the patch comes out and the match engine is altered icon_biggrin.gif

My tactics still need tweaking but I can't be bothered before the full patch.. Just scouting for bargain buys and young talent at the mo...

Oooooh! It's nearly ready icon_cool.gif

The stage we are at now is that Paul is finishing off some match engine tweaks over the next couple of days, and we'll then get that version out to the Dream Team and the QA guys, and get it tested over the weekend. If that all goes without a hitch, you can expect a patch early next week - it takes a day or so to build all the different versions of the patch that are needed.

If it is actually out early next week, when do you think we'll get started? I really want to get into the clan game asap but on the other hand would like a little bit of time to get to grips with it too...

Maybe I'll finally get a decent tactic going icon_razz.gif

The first 2 sessions I doubt very much we'll get to play any games as the first pre-season is always very slow with people trying to offload as much rubbish as they can whilst buying the initial targets they want so I can't see any reason why we can't get going & work on tactics in-between the sessions

evertonhq9ie6.gif

Everton appoint new manager

Everton today announced that big David Moyes will be leaving the club with immediate effort. Danny King will take control of team affairs from David Moyes with immediate effect. This has come as a massive shock to Toffee fans due to Everton 6th place finish in the premiership.

In a press release to the fans chairman Bill Kenwright explained:

We feel the time is right to go with a young manager with new ideas about how the game should be played to come in and take over. Danny King is a highly-experienced coach and I am delighted that he has accepted what to me is one of the most prestigious positions in Premiership. He has a reputation for creating well-organized teams capable of playing attractive football. He is very technically minded with a good knowledge of both English and European football, in addition to first class man-management skills.

Keith Wyness went on in saying:

We offered David a place on the board which he rejected but we wish him all the luck in future as long as he doesn't come up against Everton FC.

Needless to say, the fans are a bit skeptical with all the going on at Goodison Park over the few days but are willing to give Danny King some time to see what he can do.

My First peace of business will be to head towards the transfer market and try a bring in some players who I hope will turn Everton in a top 4 team. The board have given me 8 million and told me I can keep 100% on all future transfers.

My main aim will be to sign a midfield player and a forward for the first season.

GK-Howard Solid goalkeeper.

DR-Hibbert Decent right back but I will be looking to replace him.

DL-Baines One of the best left backs on the game and I be looking to keep him.

DC-Yobo World class defender but it will be a big miss when he goes to the African cup.

DC-Lescott Another good defender who can also play at left back.

ML-McFadden Will most probably keep him until someone better comes along.

MR-Arteta When he is on form he can rip any team apart.

MC-Cahill The jewel in Everton crown who has scored 15+ plus goal for me a season on my game.

MC-????? Not sure yet

FC-Johnson AJ has also been scoring for fun in my 1 player game.

FC-Vaughan Starts off injured but he is one for the future.

Spurs_Banner.jpg

Spurs appoint new manager

It was revealed today that rookie manager Matt Hooker will take charge of Tottenham Hotspur & will replace Juande Ramos who wasn't even in charge for one game. The shock move comes after it was revealed during the week that Juande Ramos had stepped down from his position after his family hadn't settled in London, the club have decided this time to appoint an English manager in hope they can add some security in the coming years.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy had this to say

We believe this to be a positive move & have acted quickly to ensure we give our new manager a full summer in charge before the season starts in hope he can turn things around & push for the top 4 positions this season. We will back him up with enough financial backing to bring in some top class players to the club & hope the fans will get behind Matt Hooker with there usual amazing support.

New manager Matt Hooker held his first press conference where he said

I am proud to be given the chance to manage my boyhood club, I will strive to bring back the glory days of our club & challenge for the title again. I believe this first season will see quite a few changes in personal as I strive to give the club a top chance of making a challenge for the title next season. My first plans will be to bring in a few world class players & trim the first team squad to a more realistic size. I will also be upheaving the backroom staff to give myself the best support in coaching & scouting networks to ensure I have the right tools available to make this club compete for years to come.

Well there we have it, I have a big squad & will be given the money to help add to this with some real class to build a top first team. The squad is very young & my targets for this first season will be to finish in the top 6 & build a team ethic ready for next season to push for a title challenge. I look forward to making moves on my targets & hope to report back with a few classy signings that will cheer the fans up & hopefully make the top 4 sit up & realise we mean business.

i really do hope that this new patch doesnt alter the tactics to much

the tactic(s) i have are pretty good , just currently playing with a few teams , with the same tactic but all slightly altered to see how much difference man marking , free role , tight marking and target man make to my finale tactic

will be keeping a few of my players now , the ones i said was rubbish will now be staying ..all thou there will be a few surprise players offered out to you all in the first session (serious offers please ) lol

am still interested in those part exchanges if you are danny

overall im hoping i will be a there or there abouts team again for a few years in the hope that i land a big job ...i have noticed in every game i play as west ham that liverpool are allways bottom half of the table

bbhj2.jpg

The bizarre build up to the new season continues today with the news that, after Everton and Spurs, Blackburn have dismissed their manager, Mark Hughes, and installed a complete unknown rookie, David Dodgson, as the new boss at Ewood Park.

The board of Blackburn Rovers issued the following statement:

On a recent coporate team-building trip to Bodrum, Turkey, we drank a bit too much of the local raki and became involved in a poker game with an ex-pat card shark, David ‘Dodgee’ Dodgson, who, having stripped us of our remaining spending money, convinced us to put the head coach duties of Blackburn Rovers on the table for the next hand. Having a straight flush, we felt confident enough to accept only for him to turn in a Royal Flush and spell the end of Mark Hughes’ associaiton with our club. We can only hope David will be able to produce the same lethal level of hustling against such master tacticians as Sir Alex and Arsene Wenger...

The new gaffer had the following to say:

I’ll be looking to bring back the glory days of the mid-nineties. Basically, I’m hoping for some Texan with a big cowboy hat and an even bigger bank balance to come in and takeover and make the Jack Walker fuelled spending spree of the Daglish era look like peanuts. Failing that, I’ll be scouring the globe for the best youngsters in the game while I pack most of the first team squad off to the retirement home... Or MSL – same difference.

Given an aging squad, a measly transfer budget, EURO Cup football and the prospect of losing key players for the African Nations cup come the New Year, it looks like a tough season ahead for Blackburn and their new boss. Without wanting to give too much away, the following lowdown on the team has been given:

GK – Friedel. He may be 36, but that’s not too old in goalkeeeping years.... isi it?

DR – Emerton. A decent full back, great at getting forward.

DL – Warnock. Just because there’s no-one else in the squad. Literally.

DC – Samba. One of the rising stars of the Premiership. And the Congo won’t be playing in the African Nations icon_biggrin.gif

DC – Nelsen. Solid player, may be replaced though.

MR – Bentley. Great winger, can be sold to Arsenal for a ridiculous amount if the need arises.

ML – Gamst Pedersen. Automatic first teamer, one of the key players.

MC – Savage. Getting on a bit but can still be the driving force.

MC – Ried. Solid midfielder, good at getting forward and can play wide too.

FC – Santa Cruz. Great acquisition by outgoing boss, Hughes. Set to play a vital role this season.

FC – McCarthy. One of the top scorers last season, Blackburn’s new manager will be hoping for more of the same this time out as well as hoping Derbyshire can step in when the African Nations comes around.

Blackburn fans will certainly be hoping the new boss has an ace up his sleeve.

I see you're not going for the S&S striker partnership that bought them title glory in the pic but the S&M instead Dave! Could be a painfull season for yourself

Or I play 3 strikers and call it SDM icon_eek.gif Could be more fitting for the defence though as problems at the back are going to pose a tough challenge once our games up icon_frown.gif

P.S. Watch the match between our two countries of residence at the weekend Matt? I guess the Norwegians must be pretty gutted, wouldn't put it past the Turks to throw it all away England-style against Bosnia though...

I didn't watch the game mate as I went to my dads for a party this weekend. Not sure they're that bothered really, expectation isn't as high as places like England where we expect to qualify easy & if not it's a failure so I think they kinda expect all results & just go with it, a bit like Scotland if you will? Live in hope & if it happens great but if not just accept you're not good enough at the end of the day.

Also I notice Neil Dev said yesterday they're working on finishing touches last night & testing them this morning in hope of starting to build release versions for perhaps this evening.

Not long now boys icon14.gif

Just hope they've done the data update they kept saying they would, last I read they hadn't confirmed it which would be a crying shame.

It would be a crying shame if you missed out on another 30 million icon_smile.gif

Still waiting on Andy, Gary, Justin and Demi to get back to me so I guess the following Sunday would be best to start up.

Also I have sent Demi a few emails and so far he hasn't replied, if he doesn't before the game starts I will re draw Pompey.

Maybe that was the difference then - expectation has been high in Turkey ever since their 3rd place at the World Cup in 2002. Missing out on another tournament would drive everybody mental out here!!

Data update would be welcome as the general consensus in the Blackburn thread seems to be that the overall stats need to be upped a bit to match their good start to the season. I'm still gonna struggle later on though as the older players (Savage, Oijer, Friedel, Tugay, Henchoz....) all drop dramatically at the end of the first or second season.. And the youngsters I've found so far take 4 seasons or so to reach their potential - gotta plug that two year gap!

I guess I better put a post down just to show that I am alive and kicking. I'm not sure if unknown element is a good phrase to sum me up Danny, suggests that I actually can play this game or something..

The problem with Reading is that they have one of those annoying squads where you can't quite decide whether or not they have a good team or average players, of a bad team of below average players. Their goalkeeper, defence and midfield are adequate, but need improvement, and the strikers blow hot and cold.

Anyway, I'm ready to start up as and when and I'm gearin' up for my relegation saviour challenge

hammersbf8.jpg

Magnusson tired of injury blaming Curbs

Shocking events at Upton Park have seen Hammers Chairman Eggert Magnusson part company with Alan Curbishley to make way for rookie manager Carl Rogers .

After a dismal season last season the Hammers need a fresh approach for the forthcoming season , Magnusson says :-

After hearing time after time about the injuries being the problem and not the boring long ball football we where playing , i have given a huge oppertunity to family friend Mr Rogers .

he comes from a massive footballing background , and after seeing his genuis ability on PRO EVO the other night , my mind was made up !

The Hammers have given Rogers a decent size kitty to spend and expect a good return in the first 12 months , which could prove difficult as the new GAFFER has injury problems allready

Rogers says :-

I have not had much time to meet my players as yet , i do know a few faces allready and know of a few young fresh faces to bring in .

Everyone will have a fair crack of the whip and its up to my players to show me who is worthy of blowing bubbles (not the mascot )

So there you have it , it may be interesting to see how the hammers fair up this season .

With alot of new faces in the league this season , all will be trying to keep there new chairman and supporters club happy

fmelcopyvs1uh2.jpg

Clan Announcement

Well SI are currently uploading the patch now icon_smile.gif. Tomorrow I will load up the game about 8.30ish to 10 for people to take control of there teams and do any stuff they would like to do i.e. transfer list the deadwood and make bids etc etc.

I will also load the game up Sunday if it is needed

We could start this Sunday but I still haven't heard from Andy or Demi, it will be unfair to start without them both so if they don't get in contact soon then we will delay kickoff for a week.

Bad news is Gary will not be joining us until mid December as his got work commitments, please try and hide your disappointment icon_razz.gif.

Matt I guess you will be one of the first to get the patch while I'm at work so just out of interest could be please let me know if Tottenham have been given a new bank balance icon14.gif. looking forward to finally being able to start my single player game with the mighty Spurs

Also the FA better sack Mc Clown icon_mad.gif otherwise I'm going Dutch.

Well the starting balance is now £15.7m which is ok but they didn't touch the club values at all. Spurs are still 14th (£36.5m) in the club value list behind teams like Bolton, Fulham etc etc which is just an absolute joke. On the face of thing's it just looks like they added £10m to the balance & the obvious staff changes although in the game Poyet & Alvarez stats would just about be good enough for a league one side let alone the premiership so can't see myself keeping them at this stage other then for sentimental reasons.

Oh well time to see how the game engine works to tactics icon14.gif

The game engine plays so much better now, goalkeepers actually make saves during a game, shocking eh? Defenders make challenges & don't lose headers to tiny strikers or get beat for pace by big fat strikers with none like before.

Aston Villa 0 Spurs 1

Spurs 2 Wigan 0

Man Utd 1 Spurs 1

Spurs 4 Everton 2

Tactically it seems alot better, if you switch to counter attack you don't just concede the game like pre-patch so it's very handy against big sides, helped me get the draw against Man Utd switching halfway through the 2nd half when they went 424.

Defensively players make more challenges & I've yet to see a tiny player beat a big man for headers reguarly which is good. Goalkeepers make attempts to save every shot, something they didn't do pre-patch alot of the time so you can rely on your goalkeeper to play ok now.

Quite impressed really, seems to be quite balanced & should let us play some great games against each other I think icon_biggrin.gif

Those 4 results were from a pretty standard 442 trying to ensure I don't cencede much but can create from midfield for my strikers so it seems quite realistic having conceeded 3 goals & scoring 8 (the 4 in the Everton game was a riot in the first half, Everton were better in the 2nd until McFadden got sent off so wasnt totally 1 sided like it might suggest).

Ready to start whenever you want boss icon14.gif

Archived