Offering out players with expiring contracts for 0 €

Whenever I realise that one of my players is drawing attention from another club and his contract is running out in 6 months (because I don't want to keep the player), I offer him out for free. I hope to save a bit on wages, the player would get match practice and his new club would get the player 6 months earlier. But I can't remember one occasion where the AI actually took advantage of that situation. They always sign the player for the next season. Why is that? :(

If you wait until 6 months or less remaining, they will be offered contracts starting when their contract expires (free transfers). If you don't want the player and want to offload their wages, make sure you do it before they hit 6 months to go.

I've tried this too and I have had offer of £0 from clubs (rather than the Bosman offer directly to the player), but it is rare. Up until FM11 I never ever saw it IIRC.

The last time I tried it, I got two offers of £0 from clubs and the player got about 12 contract offers from other clubs. He opted for one of the clubs that had offered £0 so he moved immediately.

If you wait until 6 months or less remaining, they will be offered contracts starting when their contract expires (free transfers). If you don't want the player and want to offload their wages, make sure you do it before they hit 6 months to go.

This is not quite true. In the January transfer window, if the player has less than 6 months remaining on his contract, the buying club can still make an offer of £0 to the selling club, and specify that the transfer goes through immediately. Usually however they offer a contract directly to the player and so he moves on a Bosman when his contract expires.

Archived