How many people have gone back to an old FM NOT because you don't like the new ones,

But because you had an old save which aroused your interest again. I've got FM11, and I enjoy it, I've not had many problems with it like others, and I'm sure with the 11.3 patch it'll be great. But I recently got hold of an FM10 disk(lost mine, but my brother lent me his as he doesn't need it!), as I wanted to look up some stats on my old long term save on there, and I've got back into it quite a lot, haven't played FM 11 in about a week, it's all been my FM10 save (I'm in 2039)

Anyone else do this?

To be honest, I never really left FM10 as I'm still really enjoying my long-term save on it with St. Albans City (I'm in the year 2028, just coming up to 2029!)

I've also got FM08 installed. No particular save on there at the moment but I just like to load it up for a bit of fun as I find it's a nice change of pace from the new games. :thup:

Mildly linked with a thread I've just started asking if it will ever be possible to continue a saved game from an old FM on a new version of FM.

What is it that keeps you going back, or stops you from playing the new one in Crouchaldinho's case?

I was just enjoying my FM10 save so much really, plus I felt like FM10 was such a fantastic game.

I have everything set up on FM08 and FM10 how I like it, including things like modifications to the squad screens so I can get the attributes I want, and even modifications to the match screens too. It has taken a while to get things how I want it on these versions and it feels like too much effort to start the process again for FM11. I suppose it's the same feeling with things like tactics and training schedules, which need honing to perfection again with any new version, and I haven't had the time or energy lately.

The other thing is that I'm personally quite disappointed with FM11. I really wanted further development of the tactics creator (with the possibility of customisation!), an overhaul of team talks and perhaps training too, plus a look at all aspects of the game to make it even more accessible and entertaining. I don't feel that I got any of that and so it hasn't made me want to drop everything and start a new save.

I've got this great save on FM10, which is keeping me interested. On FM08, I like the speed and accessibility of the game, so that's nice to load up sometimes for a change of pace.

At some point I will want to start a new save, I guess, but I'm not sure which version that will be on right now. :p

I prefer the tactics in FM2006 - they're more in depth and you have much more control over your team than you do in 2011, where players generally do what they've been programmed to do in their positions. The absence of tactical arrows is the main reason for this, as you can't really influence the players in the way you used to be able to. No midfielders that drop back into the hole when defending, no MCs that get out wide in the AML/AMR position and wait for the pass before dribbling or crossing. Plus the one-size-fits-all width issue is compounded by the lack of side arrows in 2011 - this has always been bad, but now there's pretty much nothing you can do to improve things. We really need separate width settings for each lateral position!

Morale is also not broken to the extent it currently is in 2011 (I hope the patch tones things down) and I also like prefer the fact that the whole media circus is less intrusive and of course agents are completely absent.

If I could have the 2006 style tactics + have the option to turn off both agents and the media circus, FM2011 would be great, as the match engine is a lot better on the whole.

I,ve not left 2010 either. I,m in 2037 and have been with Rochdale since 2020 when we finished 19th in League 2. Last season won FA Cup and Euro Cup. This season won Super Cup and Community Shield and are 10 clear at top of Prem with about 10 to play so i will probably run with this save as i am enjoying it so much, till FM 2012.3 is sorted, and see were it goes. IMO there isn,t enough changes to warrant buying it every year, perhaps every other.

IMO there isn,t enough changes to warrant buying it every year, perhaps every other.

Agree with you there - I buy the game every 3-5 years now that it's released annually. I bought all the old CMs though.

I tend to play the same save for a couple of years, and wouldn't be interested in starting again each year.

@sjm, I'm really think of doing the same. I 100% agree that it's a pain to begin all over every year

Further more I don't have time to play as much as before and the media stuff is boring as hell and takes up way to much of your game time. So I still go back to FM2008, most fun of the FM series in my opinion and it's all about the fun for me :)

Archived