Releasing on free transfers - How does it work?

I ask this because i have just started a new games as Vauxhall Motors in the Blue Square Bet North.

When i take a club over i practically remove everyone from the squad and get my own team in. I've come to releasing a few of the players in the squad and keeping anyone who is decent enough. When trying to release any of my "youth" team i am having to pay £500 per player. I then go to my first team and anyone who is worth any money and i try to release them it tells me i have to pay 4k in compensation. If i try to release any of the normal first teamers who arent worth anything i dont have to pay anything. Being on a tight budget of £2900 for player wages im trying my hardest not to break the budget.

How does it work and why cant i just release anyone i want for free.

Your probably having to pay them compensation for terminating their contract. Try interacting with some of the more expensive ones and see if they will agree to a Mutual Termination, you may be able to pay them a little less in compensation.

the club and the players have agreed on a contract where the club have to pay them for however long the contract is agreed and in exchange the players have to play for you and turn up to training etc. so they are entitled to compensation for you breaking the contract rules.

Thanks guys. I did know that but it does seem a little excessive. 4k for a very poor Blue Square player is alot of money for little Vauxhall.

So if i was to release all my youth players i would have to pay £500 per player. Would this alter the allocated wage budget or would it just put me more in debt? Infact if i released any of the players even if i had to pay 4k would it change my wage budget or just finances?

for non-youth it just takes it out of your bank account (and free's up that players wages in your wage budget).

For youth players, part of their wages is covered by youth grants (still not sure how they work) so you pay them out of your bank account, but any extra wiggle room in wage budgets is negated by a loss of an equivalent youth grant (I think)

Thanks guys. I did know that but it does seem a little excessive. 4k for a very poor Blue Square player is alot of money for little Vauxhall.

So if i was to release all my youth players i would have to pay £500 per player. Would this alter the allocated wage budget or would it just put me more in debt? Infact if i released any of the players even if i had to pay 4k would it change my wage budget or just finances?

I'm not sure but i think it gets retracted from the budget.

Your wage budget would remain the same (the only difference would be what you wage budget is currently being used) and the compenstation for the players will hit you financially just releasing your youth players at £500 per player could cost your club around £5,000 or more. So if you bank balance is low to begin with (which I expect it is) then you could easily find yourself in the red.

Compensation is more or less wage*No of weeks/months left on contract. So if you have a guy with three years to run you have to pay him for those three years if you release him.

TBH releasing the whole squad isn't something I would choose to do. Release some by mutual termination if you aren't going to use them, transfer list others but really I see squad building as a 2-3 season thing not overnight.

Your board/owner may also block you releasing certain players if the compensation amount is quite high (for your type of club) to avoid burdening the club with excessive debt.

If you are terminating their contracts you are in effect making them redundant. So like in most cases, compensation has to be paid. And in football terms that is usually any earnings up to the end of their contract. but as suggested, offering a mutual termination is like negotiating the compensation so it will be lower.

Archived