when will you buy fm12?  

514 members have voted

1. 1. when will you buy fm12?

• Release day baby!
    • Santa will bring it to me
    • I'm going to wait for the final patch
    • Not sure, I'll wait and see.
    • I probally won't buy it.

I've noticed a fair few people on the forum who do like myself, wait until around the time of the third patch before buying the game, presumably for the same reason, to have a year of playing the "final" version.

So I was just wondering how much the patching schedule has changed peoples buying habits, most people on this forum must be aware of it.

I have a feeling most people will continue to buy the game at release, but I could be wrong. If possible could this not turn into a discussion on the rights and wrongs of how SI patch the game there are more than enough threads on the forum discussing that issue

Also if you are planning on waiting, will this be the first year you will have done so? Personally I didn't buy fm09 and waited till March for FM10 so it was a looooooonnnggg time between games

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm swaying between buying it when the final patch is released or just not buying it at all. I have had the game since release day, and haven't got into a season yet because of some bugs that are bothering me, so have constantly been waiting for the next patch. It's feels like it's been so long now that I've kind of lost the motivation to play it! Think I might just save myself the money next year, but either way, I won't be buying it on release day. I'm just hoping that I get back the motivation to play the game at all in order to get some value out of the game this year!

For the first time ever i'm going to wait till the final patch as i think i will want to play my current fm save for longer then usual and also at the same time it is annoying when you know the game can be so much better... so if i get it in march next year maybe that will be better? Might get tempted though lol hopefully i can stick to my guns!

Release day for me. Despite the numerous posts, I've enjoyed the game since I bought it back in November and have probably played it nearly every day since, much to the annoyance to the wife :-)

Just wish I could stop myself from starting a new game every time I get to 4-5 seasons in, if I get that far, as my mind is always on who I could start a new game with next!!!

Same as I am this year, after the final patch. The quality of the game on release the past few years for me has been pretty poor and has felt like paying to test a game. From what I've read recently and heard from friends this year was very much the same. Some of the bugs in the game and flaws I've seen in the ME I honestly can't tell how they haven't been picked up during testing. Obviously they have deadlines with release dates they have to fulfil but the game just feels rushed. To me there seems to be a massive flaw in the development process when it takes 4 to 5 months after release to get the game to a level that for the most part is universally accepted.

I will be buying (if I am buying) during mid to late February 2012, assuming FM12 will have the same patching strategy as FM11. That way, I can spend two weeks or so "looking around" for potential signings and exploring the depths of various leagues - scouting basically. Then begin a game proper when the final patch is released.

I welcome SI's information/update on patch 11.3 progress. I hope this policy is maintained. It does, however, feel like the season is nearly over, especially if the team you support or wish to play with are languishing in mid table when the final patch is released. I would like to see the February/March update include an option to progress from 1 February 2011 (after window closes) with leagues and league tables updated to that time, although I can not comment on how much effort that would entail from SI or programmers or coders etc.

this will break my heart but am not buying it!! SI r a joke, there not gettin another penny off me!! they have took the mick with this latest patch and ave had enough

Bit of an over reaction... Read Miles' post there fixing bugs... Personally I'd prefer them to take an extra 2 weeks over releasing it than releasing it broken, wouldn't you??

I'll probably buy it on release day, saying that I don't normally get a serious game going for a few weeks while I plod around exploring new features and looking for players to scout.

Bit of an over reaction... Read Miles' post there fixing bugs... Personally I'd prefer them to take an extra 2 weeks over releasing it than releasing it broken, wouldn't you??

I'll probably buy it on release day, saying that I don't normally get a serious game going for a few weeks while I plod around exploring new features and looking for players to scout.

yeah a know! its me pc died the other week and lost me saved game! and a wanna start another one so bad, but theres no point with the new patch cumin out!!! if me comp never died think a would be ok!!!!!

It used to be release day, then last year I decided to wait until the 3rd patch but somebody bought me it on christmas, this year I bought it last week because I thought the patch would be out by the time it came through the post.

Next year I will read the forums, get the idea of what game breaking bugs exist then make my decision on that, but probably wait till lait feb again.

I'm swaying between buying it when the final patch is released or just not buying it at all. I have had the game since release day, and haven't got into a season yet because of some bugs that are bothering me, so have constantly been waiting for the next patch. It's feels like it's been so long now that I've kind of lost the motivation to play it! Think I might just save myself the money next year, but either way, I won't be buying it on release day. I'm just hoping that I get back the motivation to play the game at all in order to get some value out of the game this year!

this..

furthermore, the lack of intellligence in the AI, is someyhing, that seriously needs to be adressed. I love long term saves, but after a couple of years, it gets too easy. Thats been the case for ALL versions. Either the programming steps it up a notch and creates a game where ai-managers are not borderline or fulltime *******.

if the game isnt developed, in this specific area, then i will not buy it.

i always wait for the final patch (no bugs + cheaper game)

While it will be cheaper by the time the final patch comes out I think its highly unlikely the game will be 100% bug free. It just that any bugs that are still in the game will either be so rare or they will be minor and not bad enough to spoil the game. The simple truth of the matter is that there is no such thing as a completely bug free game or any other kind of software for that matter.

Might just stick with my saves on 08 and 10, to be honest.

I'm personally quite disappointed with FM11. I really wanted further development of the tactics creator (with the possibility of customisation!), an overhaul of team talks and perhaps training too, plus a look at all aspects of the game to make it even more accessible and entertaining. What we got was agents, match preparation and more 3D guff. The match preparation feature sums it up for me: here we have a new feature that seems to be in total contradiction to other aspects of the game (in particular, the TC and the shouts). How about a proper overhaul of training because it's just a bit crap and boring right now! :p

There are bugs and issues that have been in the game now for several versions and there are a number of small things that I have requested and requested that have never made the game (even though they have been pretty much universally accepted as great ideas by the majority of the community). I'm also getting a bit tired and fed up of compromising over some of the unwanted features (for me personally) in the game, to be quite honest.

So that's where I am at the moment. I have to be honest, if FM12 comes out with a whole bunch of new, bloated and (pardon me) half-arsed features later this year, I won't be interested. Perhaps I'll have to become a 'retro-FMer' and just play the older games. Or maybe I just give up on football management games entirely. :(

Theres game breaking bugs though. The things I consider game breaking are things which arent really a bug but more something that breaks the realism. In the past few years it would be things like the AI not buying players, world class players sitting in the reserves because they reached 33 and nobody wants to buy them and they want double the wages to leave. Having almost the same team for a decade. Unrealistic transfer fees, stuff like that.

This year sounds like the new stadium bug, and a few of the ones above still existing.

The game is pretty much the same price now as it was back in october when I checked it out. I got mine for £18 which is how much I would have got it for on release day at Asda. HMV and Game are still selling it for £34. It doesnt seem to drop in price till the next one comes out.

I have always been a release day buyer but I will probably wait until the final patch next year purely because I am a slow player. Never really get through more than 4 seasons in a game due to being so slow then restarting a game when the patches come out!! However one thing would probably nudge me back to reease day and that is after the last patch I would like to see an option of starting the game in the January transfer window with all as it was at that point in time. Being a Hammer it would be interesting to take over and have a relegation battle as per real life without the fear of getting sacked long before you get there!! The only problem realism wise as it is now is that after the last patch and data update is that you play a whole season with all of January's new signings.

Always release day, without doubt. Ever since FM09 I've had great saves that were started on release day without a need to start again with the patches, which is why I won't hesitate to get started as early as possible.

I've voted for "Wait and see". I haven't bought FM11 and am rather glad I haven't, considering the bugs reported that would have severely affected my gameplay. I'll try the FM12 demo when it comes out, but I'll still leave it at least a couple of weeks to see if anybody reports any major problems that affect long-term saves (such as the current reputation bug).

I'm somewhere between "Final patch", "Don't know" and "Probably won't buy it". I didn't get FM11 and FM10 was rather boring for me, so it's likely I'll go out and get it at some point, but it really all does depend on how well-received (or not) it is.

Voted for "Final patch" because that's my gut feeling to as what will happen.

I'm gonna wait and see what the forum says about it. If there isn't a major overhaul i.e getting rid of, the press comments and moral system then i probably won't bother at all. If the training system is spot on, the transfer system is spot on, the 3d match engine is spot on, new gens are just right, etc etc then I'll buy it but as I say, i'll wait next time around to read what others think.

I have always bought on the day of release but with FM11 I have not got 1 save going past maybe a couple of months. The little niggly bugs arent game breaking in my opinion, but are enough to make me not want to continue. The match engine itself is the problem for me. I cant put my finger on what it is exactly, but what I see going on on the pitch feels random and very much out of my control. Dont get me wrong, I havent done badly on the games I have started but I dont feel, win or lose, that my management skills have been at all responsible for the result.

So with FM12 I think I will (If I buy it at all) wait til that final patch is released so I can get a full years worth out of FM11 and all subsequent games. Im not having a go at SI. I believe they make excellent games and they always give their best to give us the best product possible out of the box. They have the unenviable task of trying to make a game that works on thousands of different spec machines and for the most part they do pretty well. I am also a fan of their patching strategy and the fact that we know upfront (I believe before the game was released even!) when (roughly) the patches will arrive. I dont play many other games so I dont know how other companys operate but I think the service this community gets is first class in terms of patching and also just general feedback.

Bring on the fanboy accusations!!!

Archived