How often do you change your formation?

I was just wondering how often you guys change your formation per season? For example i have changed it 3 times this season, ( i still have a formation for v strong opposition like r.madrid) but i mean generally overall against midtable opposition how many times have you changed?

Zero... :)

Usually I only change it during games when it's required by specific circumstances, but the starting formation/tactic is always the same... Eventually I can ponder a change for the upcoming season if the new players don't fit in the old system that well, but I rarely buy "incompatible" players...

Zero... :)

Usually I only change it during games when it's required by specific circumstances, but the starting formation/tactic is always the same... Eventually I can ponder a change for the upcoming season if the new players don't fit in the old system that well, but I rarely buy "incompatible" players...

What's your preferred formation then RBKalle?

I always used to change formation every few years because I would get bored with one system and then want to investigate another.

Just recently though, I've gone back to being a 4-4-2 man, and simplifying things tactically, which feels as if it has liberated me somewhat from carrying out so many tweaks all of the time and enabled me to concentrate on squad building and motivation a bit more.

I always play with 3 different version of a 4-5-1 tactic. A "normal" one, one more attacking and one more defensive. I usually start my game with the "normal" one, and depending on how the game goes i'll change or not.

I found that its more effective to change from tactics with the same formation, then beetween tactics with different formations

Rarely. On my FM2010 main save, I think I only used 2 different formations between 2021 and 2039.

On my current FM2011 save, I used one formation for 2 seasons, then changed for my third, as I'd signed new players. Won't change it again any time soon as it's dominant with my players.

I tend to keep about three distinct ones, using one regularly. I try to not to change, but if I find one formation with the players works great against weaker teams but struggles against bigger ones I will try to work more on a solid defensive one for back-up.

But if injuries dictate having to field someone below fitness or too young, I will change formation even if to one I've never used before.

It really depends on what my assistant feedback on opponants says. If he suggests a different formation to my 442 they I'll probably go with that since my assistant is Martin O'Neill who should know what he's doing.

In 3 seasons I have rotated 3 formations. When my 'best team' is available I play a 4-2-3-1. During an intense period I rotate my team fully but for this i use the 4-4-2 formation with wingers. I also play a 5-3-2 with attacking wing backs and an AM. Injuries also affect which formation is best to use.

Archived