Real Buys because of a FM games...

Anyone know if any player were find in FM and then buyed in real life because of that?

I only know that i think Everton had made contract with FM in past to use their database for scouting purposes. But anyone know if they buy any player because of FM? Or any other club?

David moyes as admitted using fm for players or his scouts have and im sure mourinho head scout at inter uses fm aswell ive read somewhere

I remember messi on fm05 i think it was as a 15 year old or something he turned out good back then before anyone really knew him

I kind of remember reading about League Two manager (I think) was struggling for strikers and his son told him to buy a player who was good on FM, the manager in the end did so and he banged in a few goals for them. It was either early this season or last season my memory aobut this is very vague.

What theory?

Anyway don't know about real clubs,but I brought Hamsik to Napoli before any media started talking about the possbile transfer :)

He mentioned it on one of the podcasts. It was only in passing, but being a Boro fan, my hearing is keenly tuned to any mention of the club :D

I suspect the Liverpool management had had a close look at FM when they decided to buy Lucas. A shame he couldn't live up to his stats in FM06 (or maybe 07, I can't recall).

i doubt it. IIRC He's the youngest player to have ever won the player of the year award for the brazilian league so there was plenty of hype around him irl, thankfully he's become an important player for liverpool at last.

Not quite the same, but I remember long ago on the very early CM's there was a Ghanaian player called Nii Lamptey and he was superb on the game. But in real life he joined Aston Villa and then Coventry City (both Ron Atkinson signings) and was absolutely terrible.

I believe Benfica scouts play FM a lot. Some of our buys were great prospects in FM. Sídnei (CB from Internacional), Gaitán, Di Maria, Ramires, Falcao (swooped by Porto but our discovery nonetheless), James Rodriguez (same story).

What about Roberto? Again today, another "great" match! LOL

In an interview with the Bristol rovers manager on the local news after completing the signing of Robbie Ryan on a free from Millwall back in 2004 he said that the head scout's son found out that the player's contract with Millwall was expiring at the end of the season through playing championship manager. They looked into it, it was true, so they offered him a contract.

I swear there was an International manager, believe it to be Craig Brown, who said his son notified him of a players second nationality, he spoke to them and called them up to a Scotland squad. Think it was Dominic Matteo

Here in Brazil we can watch in cable tv many championships around the world: French, dutch, argentine, portuguese, english, american, spanish, italian, german, etc...

I mean, if some players is doing well it's not hard to note it. Not to mention that clubs have staff payed to scout players and other kind of connections.

Many of the south american players mentioned here did well in south american leagues before going to Europe. Do ou really think Ramires, Falcao and others were scouted with FM?!

I can tell you who are the best players in Premier League right now, can you tell me who are the stars in Brazil? or Argentina?

Here in Brazil we can watch in cable tv many championships around the world: French, dutch, argentine, portuguese, english, american, spanish, italian, german, etc...

I mean, if some players is doing well it's not hard to note it. Not to mention that clubs have staff payed to scout players and other kind of connections.

Many of the south american players mentioned here did well in south american leagues before going to Europe. Do ou really think Ramires, Falcao and others were scouted with FM?!

I can tell you who are the best players in Premier League right now, can you tell me who are the stars in Brazil? or Argentina?

i dont think thats exactly what the OP means, its a reality that teams do use the FM database to get an idea about some players, not all clubs do but certainly some do they will also obviously follow this up with real life scouting and enquiries but the FM database is a great start.

My point is that database is created by researchers who have watched players or heard about players. So if there's a promising player in some league, probably it's not a secret in our globalized world. Scouts and coaches are aware of players before fm players. If not, football market just went crazy

We cannot mix things up. One thing is to know somebody through FM and then scout him, another is to buy him just because of FM. that would be really unprofessional and very very lame and lazy (although there are other ways of getting players in a lazy and unprofessional way, like buying players based on videos produced by their agents...). It's a question of basic intelligence: FM is not a machine or a fortune teller; its databse is made by human scouts; so why should one trust blindly in their oppinions. What happened with Pejcinovic, I firmly believe, is that people from Nice knew him through FM; but then made a couple of scouts on him. and even then, they did not sign him; they've loaned him and only signied him in December...

Still, FM can be a useful tool for scouts and coaches. Let's take for instances a search for players without contract, or whose contract ends up soon. Although there are some other databeses that can tell you that, I think FM has some advantadges, like having some atributes given to them. Imagine you are searching for a player for free. You then get a normal web database (like http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/) and, on the other hand, you get FM. Of course the first one is more ltuned in with reality (at least should be). but FM gives you some atributes that, although can very much be wrong, can filter up your search to a handful of players instead of one hundered or more...

Despite what I said above... yes, unfortunatly I believe that there are some anecdoctly cases of buyings thorugh FM/CM. Mattias Asper bought by Real Sociedad... ther can be many others examples, but this by no means should mean that any players that was first noticed in FM was bought because of FM... If they were good in FM databse, probably it is because, in some way, they were getting noticed in their hometowns...

Thats the big one. He was an "always buy" on the game, but turned out to be rubbish in real life.

Gordon Strachan admitted he signed Austin Delgardo based on his performance in FM.

Despite the fact that Rupert Lowe had pre-arranged the transfer 3 weeks before Strachan arrived at St Mary's???????????????

i think; Freddy Adu in Caykur Rizespor (Turkey, 2nd league)

What???

Adu has been known for years and years...played for Benfica,Monaco and a lot of other teams...if he now plays in Turkey's second league is because he was way overhyped years ago.

I urge a top side to purchase Eden Hazard, i picked him up for 500k in the game and he turned out to be a real gem. I even added him on facebook and we have a chat from time to time :D

Is that the same Eden Hazard who is the brightest young Belgian prospect around at the moment? The current holder of the French Ligue 1 young player of the year? The only player to have one this award twice and the only non-French player to have ever won it? The one that Arsene Wenger has declared an interest in? The one that anybody who knows anything about football has known about for years and years? THAT Eden Hazard??

Seriously though guys, you find a player on FM and see that he is good. Then after a while you see he signs for a big club and you think "wow I knew about him before that big club did!" No you didn't. They have been scouting him for years. They knew about him, their rivals knew about him, the SI researcher knew about him. It was actually YOU who was late to the party, because If the first time you hear about a player is via FM, then the one thing you can be certain of is you're not the first person who's heard about him.

I've signed players on FM who turned out to be great in real life (Van Nistelrooij is a good example, I had him way way back on an old version of CM and he became an absolute goal machine. This was when he was still at Den Bosch and a good five years before he signed for Man Utd, but I don't think I uncovered a gem that nobody else knew about. Sure, my non-FM playing mates down the pub had never heard of him but you can bet that he was on the radar of the cheif scout from every big club in Europe.

When Abramovich first arrived at chelsea he is supposed to have signed a bunch of players off a list that a fan gave to him.

Not many of the signings worked out but they would have been brilliant on Fm.

Sammy Allardyce signed Jay Jay Okocha because his son told him about him, learned about him from one of the old CM/FM games. I doubt he'd just sign him though, I reckon he'd need to still send real scouts across.

When Abramovich first arrived at chelsea he is supposed to have signed a bunch of players off a list that a fan gave to him.

Not many of the signings worked out but they would have been brilliant on Fm.

Where did you read that?

Any link?

Sammy Allardyce signed Jay Jay Okocha because his son told him about him, learned about him from one of the old CM/FM games. I doubt he'd just sign him though, I reckon he'd need to still send real scouts across.

I remmember Okocha playing very well for Nigeria against Brazil in 1996 Olympic Games with Kanu.

off topic What can you tell me about Diego Mauricio?

He has played few games for Flamengo last season (season here starts at January and ends in December). Diego Maurício is called Little Drogba by fans and part of the media. He´s kind of fast and strong, not many dribling skills but can shoot well. I guess he has some potential and may can adapt in some european leagues because of his athletic attributes. But he´s not even in Flamengo´s first eleven. My bet is that he´s not going to develop any near a star.

I hope you can understand me

He´s kind of fast and strong, not many dribling skills but can shoot well. I guess he has some potential and may can adapt in some european leagues because of his athletic attributes. But he´s not even in Flamengo´s first eleven. My bet is that he´s not going to develop any near a star.

I hope you can understand me

Sigh...sounds pretty much like every MLS striker.

Not quite, but something similar. On CM4 I started a career with Bayern Munich, I signed Klose from Kaiserslautern and he started banging in the goals, a few years later Klose joined Bayern IRL. I still claim the credit for his discovery :D

Same story as me, on FM09 I think it was, I was managing Napoli and bought Cavani and now he plays for them IRL. :D

Where did you read that?

Any link?

I originaly heard it on TV commentary during a game. Seems that it is true though.

"I have a good relationship with Ranieri - he speaks simple English so we can understand each other," Abramovich said. He revealed that he would listen to fans' opinions about the team after receiving a letter from a 10-year-old boy, on his second day as Chelsea owner, which advised him to buy three of the players he has subsequently acquired.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2408999/Beckham-high-on-Abramovich-list.html

Archived