International Academies

I think one of the biggest enjoyments in the game is the new players coming through. Perhaps this could be expanded a little (and apologies if this is a common suggestion) to include International Academies.

I think there was something like this in the one version of Fifa Manager I owned...

I appreciate we have something arguably similar in terms of affiliates - but do you tend to have a feeder club where you can get talent from? Are their training facilities any good? I am quite a strong club now, so the players my affiliates produce are never of a useful standard.

So say you were generating a good income, you could invest this money in an international academy (you could argue this isn't down to the manager, but nor is it to build a new stadium). This could perhaps be restricted to a country where you have an affiliate.

Each year, your academy would take an intake of players from this country. Because of the money you spend - the training facilities would be equal to that of the club you manage. Then it depends on what depth you want:

Do you have a raft of players to choose from which you could choose to promote either to your affiliate or your actual club.

Do you recruit your own coaches for the academy

Or do you simply have (like you do for your club) a number of regens 'promoted' each year to your team as the best that academy have produced.

This would perhaps add a new dimension to youth development - to gain new Spanish talent via your academy as opposed to raiding other teams. It will give you a greater youth intake to enjoy/development/terminate. And because of the quality of your academy - you pick up some young international star to develop.

What do you think?

The theory behind the idea I like but does it happen all that often irl?

I know Ajax did something along these lines in South Africa which has worked quite well for them, but I wonder why none of the other elite teams have done this, or have they?

Taking Man Utd for example, having one of the best scouting networks in the World and affiliates on every continent, I've never heard any talk of them setting up an academy anywhere exclusive to their club.

You could be right Dar2000. I thought there were some, but perhaps these were more links with established clubs. I know Liverpool have started something similar (below taken from their website):

In a groundbreaking move, Liverpool will be opening Football Academies all over the world, giving football-mad youngsters the chance to learn more about the game they love under the watchful eye of qualified coaches.

Plans are already in place for the first three International Academies to open in Northern Ireland, Norway and Greece in early 2011, with the aim being to give budding young stars the best environment in which to hone and develop their skills in fun but carefully structured coaching sessions.

If Liverpool are putting something in place, I am sure others must have such plans in place or ready to go.

I like the idea. Barcelona recently announced their opening an academy in Surrey, England. That being said, I don't know its overall usefulness and how it would work well in game, nor how prevalent it is in football as a whole. I still think most clubs work internationally through club link ups (affiliates) rather than actually setting up full acadamies abroad.

You could be right Dar2000. I thought there were some, but perhaps these were more links with established clubs. I know Liverpool have started something similar (below taken from their website):

In a groundbreaking move, Liverpool will be opening Football Academies all over the world, giving football-mad youngsters the chance to learn more about the game they love under the watchful eye of qualified coaches.

Plans are already in place for the first three International Academies to open in Northern Ireland, Norway and Greece in early 2011, with the aim being to give budding young stars the best environment in which to hone and develop their skills in fun but carefully structured coaching sessions.

If Liverpool are putting something in place, I am sure others must have such plans in place or ready to go.

Interesting hadn't heard that.

The wording of it makes me thing it's for very young kids, probably from 5-13 or something similar, which obviously couldn't be replicated in FM.

The initial intake, as you say, could be very young - but you can be sure that if talent was found, they would be drafted towards the youth teams if possible. We needn't see the initial part, but perhaps benefit from the latter as 15 year old youngsters with promise from overseas are 'promoted' to the club.

Jme10 - I agree with your points. I wonder if this is the way that (richer certainly) clubs will 'invest' rather than keep buying big. It wouldn't be of great value as a totally cosmetic feature. However, I read a post from someone the other day that said one of the best points in the game for him was when the new regens were promoted to the squad. The deflation of some seasons when he realises he has got a bunch of sickly talentless youths - and the acceptance of other seasons of getting some average talent. But then the great feeling with seeing someone promoted who looks good and is worth the time to develop - how this adds to the interest of the season as you play him in his first few games as a sub etc.

With that in mind - and understanding that feeling only too well - I thought this could help add to it and increase that enjoyment. Possibly moreso if the regens are 'promoted' at the set regen date for their country - so you'll have potential intakes throughout the year.

As I say, just a thought - and I'm sure there are reasons for and against. But I'd like to see what others think, or how they would implement such a feature if they could.

i've always thought this happend somwhere in the coding but it could be pure coincedence. but when you go through the years with city you will always have a few U.A.E players coming through the youth system im not sure weather thats coincedence or weather somwhere in the coding its created that kind of thing an academy in the UAE where citys owners are.

I hope it's not something integrated into the game, because there are so many other things I think would be more useful and worthwhile long-term. As it stands right now, you could effectively create one of these yourself using the data editor and it'd have the same effect and work a lot better than I think it'd end up getting implemented in the game. But I suspect it'll be on the radar in any case. Shrug.

Let's say that you build one of those training camps in Brazil. Players under 18 y/o can sign contracts with clubs from abroad but cannot leave Brazil till over age (18).

Actually now i have a doubt because Pato, for example, joinned Milan with 17, he couldn't play but he could train in Milan facilities.

If my first argument is right and players can't leave, where would they play/train? The youth academy would join a under-18 league? or clubs would have the rights of a players and could drop it on affiliates?

I know, this reply is confusing... But maybe regens with potential could unbalance the game. Let's say 100 players are born per season between 150 and 200 PA. These regens are distributed between many countries and clubs right? If Barcelona has excellent facilities in Brazil, with great recruiting staff, they have chances to snap better regens.

Would the number of players with high PA would remain the same? If so, some one would be stolen.

Would be higher than 100 depending on performance of academies? If so, there would be too many good players...

I prefer things like, more international competitions for U-18 sides. Last year Everton and Barcelona were playing their youth sides here in Brazil.

Or setting intructions for recruiting youth players every year like: A screen where you can choose different styles of players, a target man, a playmaker, etc. In next recruitment, youth coach would try to mould youth players according to your preferences like IRL, instead of, "hey a sweeper and a AMR in my youth team. Great, they don't fit in my tactics". Actually youth players change much more their positions and styles than professionals IRL.

UH! I'm much better reading than wrighting in English. thanks for your patience

This does happen occasionally IRL, but I don't think it's that common. There was a story on SSN recently about Barca opening an academy in England, in Surrey I think. Anyway, I like the idea for FM, not sure how it would work but I think that regens coming through top academies need to be looked at a little.

Manchester United used to have an academy just oustide of Toronto (Oakville to be exact) and were on board to continue the relationship until Oakville said they wouldn't give them full rights to the new FIFA field built on club HQ, so MUFC backed out (but the coach in charge remains and opened his own "academy")

A.C. Milan have an academy in Toronto, Aston Villa and Everton are both keen observers and unofficial affiliates with Erin Mills SC (Mississauga) and our provincial training team, respectively.

I've been begging for an academy set up for two years, and it's not too difficult to set up (it's done in FM Live)

It only occurs once you have enough stature/finances at your club (Barca/Madrid/Chelsea etc. can open one right out the gate) but you can only build say 3 over your career at a club.

It would also help with long term international management, so you can say for example build Lichenstein into a decent team by offering say Barcelona's resources in find, develop and play young Lichenstenian (sp) talent into the top flight.

Should the economics, coaching levels, population (and of course luck) all align, perhaps your nation can become the new Ghana....or United States....or Japan (countries right on the brink when they were non-existant on the football map two decades ago)

Should the economics, coaching levels, population (and of course luck) all align, perhaps your nation can become the new Ghana....or United States....or Japan (countries right on the brink when they were non-existant on the football map two decades ago)

VERY TRUE!!! These nations where football rejects years ago, And know Ghana almost got to the semi-final of the World Cup.

I also think this is a great idea.

Barcelona are just starting to see the first graduates of the Samuel Eto'o foundation in Cameroon: Gael Etock, Jean Marie Dongou, Alain Ebwelle etc. all coming through the youth system currently.

I think it wouldn't be the greatest stretch to code either, just allow a player or two to come from the national pool of your academies country every few years. Would make the game a bit more fun and possibly add something to spend your finances on. I mean a club valued at 2 billion pounds, which tends to happen in longterm save games, would definitely be using this money on expanding and updating infrastructure if this were to occur in real life (the 2 billion pound valuation).

In fact, I'd love to see the upgrading of training facilities and 'youth facilities' worked over. For example, designating how many training pitches your club needs, indoor facilities, 3rd generation artificial pitches, a state of the art sports medicine building. Things that clubs are constantly sinking money into in real life.

Archived