Dominos pizza

Yeah, when SI first introduced the 3D engine they did say that the adboards would be updated throughout the season if they got any companies sponsor them, so I guess that's what this is? If it is, I think it's the first time they've taken advantage of it.

I personally use an adboard graphic pack anyway, so it doesn't affect me

So this is why SI is pushing everyone to Steam? I assume they only update the adboards for Steam players registered in the UK (no Spanish Sizzler pies Stateside I'm afraid).

or did I agree to have SI update my adboards directly through a backdoor via my just being online in the ToS I didn't read?

I believe there is options to turn real adds off/on, as well as make them clickable/unclickable in the preferences menu. I always set them so they cant be clicked as I used to click on them and launch browser windows all the time. This feature bothered a lot of people when it was first announce, but as long as you can opt out and make them unclickable, I think its great. Glad to see it is making SI some extra money. Just PLEASE don't allow evasive/data collecting ads, or anything that directly interferes with game-play. Other than that It actually makes the games feel more real :)

Thanks Biscotti for pointing out that absolutely awesome graphics pack! I will definitely be downloading and adding that to my game tonight :)

I believe there is options to turn real adds off/on, as well as make them clickable/unclickable in the preferences menu. I always set them so they cant be clicked as I used to click on them and launch browser windows all the time. This feature bothered a lot of people when it was first announce, but as long as you can opt out and make them unclickable, I think its great. Glad to see it is making SI some extra money. Just PLEASE don't allow evasive/data collecting ads, or anything that directly interferes with game-play. Other than that It actually makes the games feel more real :)

Thanks Biscotti for pointing out that absolutely awesome graphics pack! I will definitely be downloading and adding that to my game tonight :)

As long as one can opt out.

But one can really look at this another way. Why should one be seeing ads in a game? One has payed full price and game is incomplete on purchase. Where are the priorities?

it is hardly an incomplete purchase though (before everyone starts lets not have the game not being playable till 11.3 debate please). This feature doesn't interfere with your gameplay in any way and is also an optional feature as people have said.

I'm not so sure about that, our strikers could miss all their clear-cut chances because they saw the pizza ads when they're tired and got hungry. Remember how Luis Suarez bit someone's ear when he got hungry in the middle of a match?

But one can really look at this another way. Why should one be seeing ads in a game? One has payed full price and game is incomplete on purchase. Where are the priorities?

It could be argued that by selling space on the adboards in game SI are merely adding to the realism. When was the last time you watch a professional match where there wasn't advertising all over the place? And if you went to the match live, I'd be willing to bet you paid to get in, so why should you be advertised to if you already paid the club?

I assume they only update the adboards for Steam players registered in the UK (no Spanish Sizzler pies Stateside I'm afraid)

Try changing your steam server location and see what happens, altho it may be based off the game version. I doubt its a back door anyway but if it bothers you do what i do, once the game is running i disconnect my internet cause i dont trust steam either hehe

Is this anything to do with the fact that product placement has just been introduced to uk tv? anyway i dont see any problem with this so long as i can always turn the links off so i dont accidentally press them.

no nothing to do with the change in law its been in the game since fm09

Try changing your steam server location and see what happens, altho it may be based off the game version. I doubt its a back door anyway but if it bothers you do what i do, once the game is running i disconnect my internet cause i dont trust steam either hehe

IIRC it doesnt use steam it does the same on any copy if you are connected to the net, you dont need to disconnect from the internet to block it, you can just block fm2011.exe using your firewall to get the same result.

It could be argued that by selling space on the adboards in game SI are merely adding to the realism. When was the last time you watch a professional match where there wasn't advertising all over the place? And if you went to the match live, I'd be willing to bet you paid to get in, so why should you be advertised to if you already paid the club?

All good points, but IRL the striker doesn't run 20 metres on his backside to score a goal, or I do I get a thousand posters, or indeed the pitch doesn't black out when my team is leading, leading to a restart of the stadium and a totally different result next time, costing the title and the manager job.

Just teasing now fyi

Is this anything to do with the fact that product placement has just been introduced to uk tv? anyway i dont see any problem with this so long as i can always turn the links off so i dont accidentally press them.

yeah, imagine playing in the champions cup final and you score to 1-0 so you go quickly over to switch strategies and accidently hit on a banner with a link to domino´s home page with a real slow internet connection. just sitting there watching your fm screen close down, i think the last thing you will be thinking about is mouldy smelling pizza. i don´t know how good it will be for the advertising industry :p

i think the last thing you will be thinking about is mouldy smelling pizza.

After living off "good calories" for what now seems an eternity I can assure you it's pretty much the only thing I can think of after reading the title :( I'd give anything just for a lick of the cheese flavored mouldy goodness! ;)

Cheeky move IMO. FM players are the perfect target for pizza! Including me.... I've just had a couple of games and I'm salivating at the thought of a Texan BBQ with garlic dip....

All good points, but IRL the striker doesn't run 20 metres on his backside to score a goal, or I do I get a thousand posters, or indeed the pitch doesn't black out when my team is leading, leading to a restart of the stadium and a totally different result next time, costing the title and the manager job.

Just teasing now fyi

I was gonna get indignant about this post, until I read that last line. Bravo :D

As long as one can opt out.

I bought a sky sports package and there's adverts, I can't even opt out!! :p

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else had a real life ad from dominos pop up? I have the dynamic advertising thing turned off and steam in offline mode.

FM11 just minimised in the middle of a match and my browser popped up, loaded SI's site then redirected to domino's order page.

I can't say I'm impressed. In most cases I would consider that a reason to uninstall the program.

Has anyone else had a real life ad from dominos pop up? I have the dynamic advertising thing turned off and steam in offline mode.

FM11 just minimised in the middle of a match and my browser popped up, loaded SI's site then redirected to domino's order page.

I can't say I'm impressed. In most cases I would consider that a reason to uninstall the program.

you clicked the link... (the advertising hoarding)

theres an option in the game preferences "enable hyperlinks" which when turned off should stop this happening, or is that what you meant by the dynamic advertising thing

Archived