FC Anzhi Makhachkala

• 5 months later...

I heard Eto'o has been offered 340k a week also heard they were willing to pay Ganso's release clause not sure how true any of it is.

If you wanted to be them you could simply give them a sugar daddy in the editor.

yea they should be, the amount they are spending isn't Eto'o going?

As Acidburn said, they should have money in FM12. They've recently been linked with those two Brazilian players that everyone wants, I think and they are after Eto'o for a fee believed to be £30m and he would get about £300k a week.

the prob in the game would be to convince top names to join them in Russia. I imagine you will be able to buy lots of Brazilians but I doubt if you can get any decent Europeans.

Build up the squad slowly, challenge in Europe and build up the League Rep and get even better players. It should work well in FM12

They bought him last season and to be honest I don't think anyone claimed it was a big deal despite his age he is still a fairly decent player. I think they may have signed him because having a few Brazilians there will help if they want to bring more higher profile Brazilian players to their club.

• 2 weeks later...
They bought him last season and to be honest I don't think anyone claimed it was a big deal despite his age he is still a fairly decent player. I think they may have signed him because having a few Brazilians there will help if they want to bring more higher profile Brazilian players to their club.

Roberto Carlos also said a few months ago he would like to become a Director of Anzhi in 2013 when his contract expires and try to buy the best Brazilian players.

Signing Roberto Carlos isn't a big deal. Signing Zhirkov is, because he's one of Russia's best players, and signing Eto'o would be even bigger.

Rest assured, they will be reflected accurately in data, though there are no guarantees about gameplay... fingers crossed!

Signing Roberto Carlos isn't a big deal. Signing Zhirkov is, because he's one of Russia's best players, and signing Eto'o would be even bigger.

Rest assured, they will be reflected accurately in data, though there are no guarantees about gameplay... fingers crossed!

QFT, people are starting to take notice now. Didn't they put a bid in for Neymar at one point?

Wait till them Russians start throwing bananas at him. Russia will never make their league as good as the EPL, La Liga and Bundesliga or Serie A. To many racial incidents happen, and even if he is getting paid that much, he might overlook and go home and cry in his Bugatti but in my opinion Anzhi are wasting money buying talent to a league thats dead.

Wait till them Russians start throwing bananas at him. Russia will never make their league as good as the EPL, La Liga and Bundesliga or Serie A. To many racial incidents happen, and even if he is getting paid that much, he might overlook and go home and cry in his Bugatti but in my opinion Anzhi are wasting money buying talent to a league thats dead.

The league isn't dead by any stretch of the imagination.

But you have a valid point about the racism over there. Maybe that is why they have had to pay him so much - to convinve to go and play in a place where he may well suffer racial abuse?

:( What happened to sport? What happened to beating the local rivals for bragging rights not £££££'s? Why does it have to be about who has the biggest chequebook and the deepest pockets? Why do we fans let them do this to the game? Football is a sport... not an atm... Prices go through the roof for the fans so that some dude that happens to kick a ball slightly more accurately than the average Joe can get paid insane amounts of money a week, you give them 3 weeks of your salary a year to go and watch the players that they pay 3 years worth of your salary a week! Where's the sanity in that?

Football is ruined... :'(

:( What happened to sport? What happened to beating the local rivals for bragging rights not £££££'s? Why does it have to be about who has the biggest chequebook and the deepest pockets? Why do we fans let them do this to the game? Football is a sport... not an atm... Prices go through the roof for the fans so that some dude that happens to kick a ball slightly more accurately than the average Joe can get paid insane amounts of money a week, you give them 3 weeks of your salary a year to go and watch the players that they pay 3 years worth of your salary a week! Where's the sanity in that?

Without money, no Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan... Since the beginning, the biggest pocket win in this sport.

Quoted for truth.

Without money, no Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan... Since the beginning, the biggest pocket win in this sport.

This is true. Ever since the maximum wage was abolished (and to a degree before that), the best teams have been the ones with the most money.

Which came first, insane wages or higher prices? If fans weren't willing to pay upwards of £60 per match, £40 for a replica shirt etc, then teams wouldn't charge that much and subsequently spend so much on players. But they are.

Insane wages and transfer fees came first. Clubs don't increase ticket prices unless they have big reputation to attract the fans. To increase their reputation, they win silverwares by buying the best players and paying them higher wages. After the clubs got high reputation, then they increase the prices on tickets and merchandises.

This is true. Ever since the maximum wage was abolished (and to a degree before that), the best teams have been the ones with the most money.

In the cases of the examples cited, money didn't just fall into the hands of these clubs. A combination of success on the pitch and good off the field running created a cycle - success+good management=money=success=more money=more success.

I won't pretend that everything these clubs have done in terms of off the field business operations has been positive for the wider game, though.

If you do decide to use either Suggy's Russian update or Metal_guitarist's update, this is the sort of money you'll see them spend;

anzhitransferhistory.png

Not too bad, eh? Their transfer window's only just opened too; they've been linked with Maicon, Berbatov, Fernandinho & Jadson in the past week or two on my save.

Managing Anzhi has the potential to be so fun on FM now. With the kind of money, working the transfer market - which has always been the best thing about FM for me - will be really interesting. Only problem are the squad restrictions in Russia, so you need to make sure you have enough Russians in your squad.

I'm susprised Anzhi haven't looked at Arshavin.

Insane wages and transfer fees came first. Clubs don't increase ticket prices unless they have big reputation to attract the fans. To increase their reputation, they win silverwares by buying the best players and paying them higher wages. After the clubs got high reputation, then they increase the prices on tickets and merchandises.

I agree. The first club to provoke an real increase in wages and transfer is probably Real Madrid and theirs star purchases around the world like Di Stefano from a rich argentinian club.

Since the global professionalization of football (around 1890-1910), win a trophy is a question of money, that's why big cities (with Paris as exception) have always big clubs because more people for buying tickets and merchandising, more estate to sell, more investors to come, etc. Battle between football clubs has never been fair.

that's why big cities (with Paris as exception) have always big clubs because more people for buying tickets and merchandising,

Funny you should mention that. Do you know that only two Western European capital cities* have ever had a Champions League/European Cup winner (Madrid and Lisbon), and both of those were heavily backed by dictators?

Paris isn't the centre of French football, Roma and Lazio are dwarved by the clubs from Milan, Turin and to an extent Genoa, Bayern Munich are far bigger than any of the Berlin clubs, Zenit are the most supported club in Russia, and historically Manchester United and Liverpool have won far more titles than all the London clubs. The most extreme example is Scotland, where Glasgow provides two clubs who have won next to everything ever.

Simon Kuper's theory is that hoards of people in smaller cities have something to prove to inhabitants of the capital, and consequently sport means more to them. Make of that what you will.

* Counting The Hague as the capital of the Netherlands because it is, to all intents and purposes, even though Amersterdam is officially the capital.

Funny you should mention that. Do you know that only two Western European capital cities* have ever had a Champions League/European Cup winner (Madrid and Lisbon), and both of those were heavily backed by dictators?

Paris isn't the centre of French football, Roma and Lazio are dwarved by the clubs from Milan, Turin and to an extent Genoa, Bayern Munich are far bigger than any of the Berlin clubs, Zenit are the most supported club in Russia, and historically Manchester United and Liverpool have won far more titles than all the London clubs. The most extreme example is Scotland, where Glasgow provides two clubs who have won next to everything ever.

Simon Kuper's theory is that hoards of people in smaller cities have something to prove to inhabitants of the capital, and consequently sport means more to them. Make of that what you will.

* Counting The Hague as the capital of the Netherlands because it is, to all intents and purposes, even though Amersterdam is officially the capital.

All very interesting stuff. However, I do think Spartak Moscow have traditionally the largest fanbase in Russia. Zenit's will probably have grown in recent years with their success. Interesrtingly, during Soviet times, Dynamo Kiev were the most successfully team in the Soviet Union. Although the capital of Ukraine, Kiev was certainly not the capital of the USSR!

In Scotland, Glasgow is much bigger than Edinburgh, so it was always going to be dominant.

I've often wondered if capital cities suffer from having larger numbers of clubs within them, thus splitting the potential supporter base and keeping the club smaller than it might other wise be. Chelsea's fans traditionally come from one part of London, for example, while Arsenal's come from another and West Ham's from another. Meanwhile, Liverpool and Manchester are split only between two. Moscow is divided between four big clubs (Spartak/CSKA/Dinamo/Lokomotiv, as well as Torpedo, who still exist) while Zenit are the only St. Petersburg team. Then again, cities like Berlin or Paris, or even Rome, probably counter this suggestion. These are captial cities with only one or two clubs and they still haven't been massively successful.

In the case of England, it may have something to do with the Northwest being the working-class hotbed of football in its early days. Look at all the famous old names from English football in (traditional) Lancashire alone - the Manchester and Liverpool clubs, Preston, Blackpool, Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton. I know less about other countries, but didn't Englishmen introduce football to northern Italy, especially the Milan area well before it reached Rome and the south? Perhaps this has something to do with it..

PSG have been around since 1970. It's hard to believe a famous club like that is so young. Was there something there before that kinda turned into PSG or was it brand new in 1970?

Who did Paris football fans support before PSG came along?

PSG have been around since 1970. It's hard to believe a famous club like that is so young. Was there something there before that kinda turned into PSG or was it brand new in 1970?

Who did Paris football fans support before PSG came along?

Paris Saint Germain were formed in 1970 after 2 clubs merged Stade Saint Germain and Paris FC.

Despite being a young club they have a large fan base with only Marsielle in France coming close to them.

Interesting stuff, from what I can come up with (on wiki, so not completely reliable) is that considering PSG are so young the most successful Paris club before then were RC Paris, though not sure about the fan base. Although they only won the league once because the successful clubs coming from Marseille, Lyon, St Etienne, etc. It is weird that only twice have a French side won a european competition, and both you could argue don't count as Marsille won the European Cup under controversial circumstances in 1992-93, and PSG won the now defunct Cup-winners cup in 1996, for a country of France size is poor.

RCF Paris

I know, I wasn't contradicting you. I was just making an interesting point, which I was reminded of when you said Paris had never had a really big club.

Ok excuse me. Btw I agree with you, I didn't know the capitals trophies are so rare indeed but not surprise me. Like New York and Washington, being a administrative capital not made a city the best economic center. For exemple Roma is more a museum city than an economic power like Milan, same for Munich against Berlin.

Paris is a very special case. Maybe Paris were so big and the number of little Parisian clubs is so huge that they can't grow economicaly. Because more you have clubs in a city, less you receive financial helps from municipality. It's probably the same for London during the creation of clubs.

Other problems for Paris, the french traditions didn't help football : many french capitalism problems in last century and especially in Paris didn't help the creation of big corporations.

French culture is also a problem because before France 98, football in France was not as popular in England or Spain despite Platini or Kopa. Only since Zidane, the stadiums attendance has increased significantly in France.

The most bigger club in Paris were PSG of 90's and Matra Racing Club in 70's, it was the equivalent of current qatar PSG and a lot of powerful french people hated this club because they wanted absolutely a fair league, that's why a club with a little city like Saint-Etienne win a lot of Ligue 1 and why Lyon was not popular in France when they win 7 times the Ligue 1 (the most popular club in France is not Lyon but Marseille, PSG is second).

But time is change, PSG have the first Qatar corporation as investor and probably will fight for champions league title in 2 or 3 years. Moreover, Paris is more attractive than Moscow, Manchester, Milan or Munich for a consumer having money like rich players : an incredible number of star players come in Paris for their holidays because a lot of ways to spend money and no photojournalists.

Interesting stuff, from what I can come up with (on wiki, so not completely reliable) is that considering PSG are so young the most successful Paris club before then were RC Paris, though not sure about the fan base. Although they only won the league once because the successful clubs coming from Marseille, Lyon, St Etienne, etc. It is weird that only twice have a French side won a european competition, and both you could argue don't count as Marsille won the European Cup under controversial circumstances in 1992-93, and PSG won the now defunct Cup-winners cup in 1996, for a country of France size is poor.

RCF Paris

France has suffered from its territorial political history where the economic and political power was concentrated in Paris since many centuries. In west european countries, you have always a capital and other powerful economic cities : spain have Barcelona, england have Manchester (?), Italy have Milan, Germany have Munich and Frankfurt, France have nothing after Paris that's why the French League had only clubs with mid cities and it's impossible to develop a powerful club when you are a mid city in France.

You make a lot of interesting points, speedas.

But time is change, PSG have the first Qatar corporation as investor and probably will fight for champions league title in 2 or 3 years.

Maybe 2 or 3 is a bit generous, but the money will help them, as it has for Chelsea and Man City (to a degree). I don't think it will be too long before Chelsea or PSG buck the trend. I suppose a win for Real Madrid would count too, given how they have fared in Europe recent years.

France has suffered from its territorial political history where the economic and political power was concentrated in Paris since many centuries. In west european countries, you have always a capital and other powerful economic cities : spain have Barcelona, england have Manchester (?), Italy have Milan, Germany have Munich and Frankfurt, France have nothing after Paris that's why the French League had only clubs with mid cities and it's impossible to develop a powerful club when you are a mid city in France.

France have Marseille (850k people or so, more than Manchester), and in fact Olympique de Marseille are one of the most successful teams in France while Parisian teams have historically made far less impact (as you mentioned in your other post).

Lyon and Toulouse are also pretty big (similar to Manchester or Liverpool).

What weakens the French League is that taxes are pretty harsh there, otherwise French clubs could probably be as dominant as English ones and more dominant than clubs from smaller and poorer countries like Italy and Spain.

I am so not sure the French like football any less than other countries in the region.

France have Marseille (850k people or so, more than Manchester), and in fact Olympique de Marseille are one of the most successful teams in France while Parisian teams have historically made far less impact (as you mentioned in your other post).

Lyon and Toulouse are also pretty big (similar to Manchester or Liverpool).

What weakens the French League is that taxes are pretty harsh there, otherwise French clubs could probably be as dominant as English ones and more dominant than clubs from smaller and poorer countries like Italy and Spain.

I am so not sure the French like football any less than other countries in the region.

Yeah Marseille is maybe equivalent of Manchester in France. Toulouse is big but rugby is more important than football in this city. Lyon was not very passionate in Olympique Lyonnais too before Juninho.

It's true, for a same wage, a same player don't cost the same price by country and France have probably the most restrictive taxes system of West Europe and not help the country when England or Spain can made more financial arrangements with their home laws (even if the best financial arrangements laws are in Portugal). For example, Lyon pays more in wages than Inter in 2010 because to pay a player, a french club must pay twice his wage (50% to taxes).

Other example, if Manchester United or Barcelona played in France, there would be in 4th division because clubs with huge debts are forbidden in Ligue 1. In french football system, impossible to demand a financial loan to pay expensive players unlike other countries like especially Spain.

Another case, rich investors like Abramovic (chelsea), Gaydamak (portmouth), Takshin (before qatar in City) could not buy a French club because investors with a doubtful past can't invest in a french club (Some money of Abramovic is from arms trafficking)

But the truth is english, spanish, italian, german, russian, ukrainian clubs are more rich than french clubs and can attract better players.

I do not think that the reported wages were in fact what he was offered - the last item I read was that he was taking home Euro 10,000,000 per year which is only Euro 192,000 per week (poor guy - how will he survive!!!)

Archived