New Patch (11.3) & Random Crashes

I've read what Miles has posted about a random crash with the new (unreleased patch), and saw somewhere that it was being tested on 14 computers, although not sure if the last bit is true.

This is only a suggestion and idea, before anyone starts shooting it down, but why not release the patch for those willing to help find the fault. Surely the more helping the merrier. Those who help and post all the data and feedback requested by SIgames, could be used to help test bugs on future games and patches in the future, maybe helping things out a bit and allowing for less issues.

I know their will be people who just play and won't bother uploading any data or saves, and those that will moan the game crashes, but the former wont be considered for testing in the future and the later will moan no matter what you do, give them a winning lottery ticket for a £1 million, they would want one for £2 million. Once a fix has been found a hotfix could be released or, a released version of the patch all working.

As I said just an idea, maybe one many people may dislike, but one that could help and make SI's life easier, surely 100s of computers will help find a random crash better?

At least they found out that the game crashes imagine if the released it, then everyone's game crashes there would be uproar so I'm happy with what they are currently doing.

Oh don't get me wrong Blue_magic, this isn't a moan thread and your spot on, imagine the uproar, lol! What i'm saying if people are willing to go into this knowing it will crash and willing to help, then surely it can only be a benefit. Its not like your giving away a free game or anything, just the wish to help and give SI access to more feedback and data.

It's not likely to be something us ordinary folks can help with tbh, they'll be running and rewriting constant debug routines to narrow it down, that's a few zillion times faster than individuals poking in corners looking for the problem:)

How hard can it be? The amount of code they added is probably not that big. Perhaps it would be easier to just go through all the recent code changes and check if there is anything that could potentially cause a memory leak. Perhaps its even the databases fault. Some value that is wrong/too big and is not validated by the code. Maybe try it with an older DB to see if thats the issue. They probably tried all that or are doing it ATM so it might be a hard problem to solve. Ahh the beauty of C/C++ programming :)

• SI Staff

Major Raver - that wouldn't help us find the issue. With normal release builds, the error message we are getting is useless. Even in full debug mode, it isn't giving us much info, and certainly nothing that has been useful so far.

Jakobx - all checkin's for patch 3 have been gone through and verified for safety.

Kriss - correct. That is the process we're going through. Special code being written to thrash things, and if it doesn't crash, it's onto the next suggestion. Very much a needle in a haystack situation, but one where the haystack is roughly the size of Africa.

How hard can it be? The amount of code they added is probably not that big. Perhaps it would be easier to just go through all the recent code changes and check if there is anything that could potentially cause a memory leak. Perhaps its even the databases fault. Some value that is wrong/too big and is not validated by the code. Maybe try it with an older DB to see if thats the issue. They probably tried all that or are doing it ATM so it might be a hard problem to solve. Ahh the beauty of C/C++ programming :)

Wow, with insight like that I expect SI will be contacting you soon to offer you a job. How does "Head Programmer" sound?

Oh, by the way, how are you getting on teaching your gran to suck eggs?

It's not likely to be something us ordinary folks can help with tbh, they'll be running and rewriting constant debug routines to narrow it down, that's a few zillion times faster than individuals poking in corners looking for the problem:)

You know the score Kriss, everyone on here is a computer programmer! What I was getting at was uploading the data when the game crashes and before it crashes, surely if it is random that sort of information will help a bit?

Major Raver - that wouldn't help us find the issue. With normal release builds, the error message we are getting is useless. Even in full debug mode, it isn't giving us much info, and certainly nothing that has been useful so far.

Jakobx - all checkin's for patch 3 have been gone through and verified for safety.

Kriss - correct. That is the process we're going through. Special code being written to thrash things, and if it doesn't crash, it's onto the next suggestion. Very much a needle in a haystack situation, but one where the haystack is roughly the size of Africa.

Just a suggestion, but if it wouldn't help, then fair enough. Best of luck with finding the needle in the haystack guys (Use a metal detector), I look forward to the patch when it is ready to go and released.

Cheers

Hi Miles

I it possible for you to release the change list for 11.3 patch?

Take it you was been sarcastic there surely

The part about how hard can it be is a bit sarcastic, while the other part is most likely true. Its a patch after all, not a new version. Its usually just a couple of lines changed here and there. Real coding is most likely in their fm12 branch.

They never do until it's ready to release in case they have to make changes to the list.

I know that, but in this case, as far as we know, all the changes as been made, and all is left is that random bug.

So, they could release it for the user to view it. And perhaps sugest some last minute changes, if they were possible.

That needle in haystack could also be bone needle and as a tested on myhtbusters to find bone needle you can't use metal detector or magnetism. You just have to find it by hand, ain't that right?

@Keyzer Soze: I think they haven't locked yet change list so that can't be released. Otherwise all would start to complain after patch release why this and that wasn't there as you promised. Maybe they even remove that needle from it so there won't be a problem.

That needle in haystack could also be bone needle and as a tested on myhtbusters to find bone needle you can't use metal detector or magnetism. You just have to find it by hand, ain't that right?

@Keyzer Soze: I think they haven't locked yet change list so that can't be released. Otherwise all would start to complain after patch release why this and that wasn't there as you promised. Maybe they even remove that needle from it so there won't be a problem.

LOL!! Ok smart @ss, lol!!!!

Please just don't give up and start anew for FM12......

They'd still have to fix the issue. FM12 could be called FM11.4 really, just as FM11 could have (on release) been called FM10.4 and so forth, way back to the lack major overhaul... Which I believe was when the FM name came in?

They don't make each game from scratch, they just continually improve on the existing game, swapping in new modules when a particular area is being overhauled. After all, it'd be a huge waste of time to reprogram the bread and butter unchanging stuff every year.

Archived