Closest Title Race you have experienced?

So, I'm Man Utd.

37 games played:

Arsenal   Points: 90 GD: +62
Man Utd   Points: 89 GD: +84
Chelsea   Points: 87 GD: +48
Man City  Points: 68
Liverpool Points: 66

Man Utd vs Liverpool

Arsenal vs Chelsea

Knowing I need at least a draw if Arsenal lose, I take the game to Liverpool and beat them 4-0.

I am eagerly watching the latest scores during the game.

Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea

Abou Diaby (45+1)

Expected this to happen from the start. Arsenal have been dominating all season, and Chelsea are quite lucky to still be this high.

Arsenal 1-1 Chelsea

Michael Essien (66)

I can hope, as Essien claws one back, knowing Chelsea do have the 2nd best defensive record in the league.

Arsenal 1-1 Chelsea

Michael Essien Red Card (70)

Oh no! League is lost. Tackling: Hard will be set on Essien in every game in the future!

Arsenal 1-1 Chelsea

Andrey Arshavin Red Card (88)

Yes! I'm going to win the league! No way they can recover from that.

Arsenal 2-1 Chelsea

Robin van Persie (90+3)

Lost the league in the final seconds of the season. To say I'm gutted is an understatement.

Any other close ones?

In Finland. Final day and I was 1 point ahead. I played Sunday and FC Inter played Saturday. They won so going into my game i needed a win as i was 2nd by 2. At half time i was 2-0 up, 53rd minute i was 2-1, 62nd 2-2. 93rd minute Christer Pupetti nodded home from an inswinging free kick. With what was literally the plasy kick of the season i clinched it by a point!

On my current game, it was a last game of the season jobby for me. Was competing with Man City, I was Liverpool, in the 2020-2021 season , had been several points clear(due beating them quite badly). But drew a game or and they caught up. I was playing and needed a win to guarantee Liverpool's first title win in about 30 years, while if I drew or lost, City would take the title with a win. I was playing Leicester(who had just secured safety), while they were playing Newcastle(after spanking Arsenal and Chelsea to keep themselves in the hunt).

Before the match it was as thus:

Liverpool-----87 points - 53+ GD

Man City ----86 points - 44+ GD

By half time, they were 3 up, and by the time we reached injury time in the 2nd half, had scored 5 to Newcastles 0. I however, had scored none, and was drawing 0-0 to 16th place. So the table was as thus.

Man City ----89 points - 49+ GD

Liverpool ----88 points - 53+ GD

I was biting my nails with nervousness, before in the 3rd minute of injury time, Jonjo Shelvey did this for me!

[video=youtube;42u6rlLKzyk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42u6rlLKzyk

I jumped out of my chair screaming 'YES GET IN JONJO YOU BEAUTY'.

And the title race ended

Liverpool - 90 points, GD - 54+

Man City - 89 points, GD - 49+

my last season was the closest, i thought it was finally our turn for promotion to the bsp!

heres the story , we managed to climb to the top of the league by 2 points with one game to go with a bottom half of the table team as our last fixture, all we needed was draw! however i lost my clubs best 2 strikers the game before.

we lost the game in the 85th minute 1-0 (also had another striker injured in this game), which left the final league table as follows:

1st harrogate 80

2nd workington 80

3rd blyth (me) 79

we went to the playoffs but needless to say we lost both legs of the semi 1-0 because i literally had no strikers

The closest one I had proved to be the end of my managerial career on FM08.

I was Villa and was about four season's in. Anyway it was a very strange season, the big teams regularly lost to the teams lower down in the division (alot like whats happening in real life now) and with three games to go I was 4 points clear of Manchester United, I had 77 points, they had 73.

All my remaining fixtures were against struggling teams, I only needed to win one more game to take the title to Villa Park, I ended up drawing one and losing two, whilst United lost one and won two, meaning they pipped me by a point. To say I was gutted is an understatement.

The next season I ended up getting sacked after a diabolical start, bloody game. :(

Me and my Mate are playing games in Uni on separate laptops, not networking just playing separate games to pass time before the new patch, but he is Tottenham and 2 points separate the top 5 in March, its gonna be so close, but my mate is starting to fall down after being ahead by quite a way !

I was once liverpool and lost to united by a point, the game that cost me was against united, rooney hit one from 30 yards it rattled the bar and went in off the back of reinas head!!!

another one a few weeks ago i was arsenal on 77 in third with liverpool and man u on 78, they were playing each other on the last day so i needed to win and hope for a draw, well it all went to plan except bolton equalised against me in the last minute!!

titlerace.jpg

In FM09. Ended up losing the last game. First defeat of the season' date=' 103 points total but still only finished third! Got promoted through the playoffs though.[/quote']

that's sick that... 3 teams with over 100 points? Did Hull get a point on last day too? THAT would never happen, come on SI... realism? Sort it out! :p

I am Alfreton Town in the Prem, 2024/25 season, I was on a hot winning streak, was ahead by a few points. But I started losing and drawing games towards the end of the season. I won the prem over Man U on goal difference, we were both on about 30.

tr2b.jpg

Final table. 102 points not enough to get promoted.

that's incredible and so obviously wouldn't happen... but you say it's FM09 yeah? I noticed a lot of last day drama in 09,

season 1 I missed out on the L1 playoffs when I only needed a point in the last game and two teams below me needed to win by 4

season 2 I won on last day and 2nd placed lost meaning I went up auto

season 3 a win on the last day for me whilst 6th placed team lost meant I scraped into Champ play-offs (I won them)

season 5 needed a minor miracle to beat Arsenal to the title, I got it on the last day...

season 6 couldn't beat Arsenal to the title because of GD despite being unbeaten so deliberately threw the last game

I don't recall ever seeing 4 teams with over 100 points though, amazing

Posted this elsewhere previously but this is a screen cap of my first season in charge of Raith (I've since moved onto Portugal after finishing top 6 in the SPL).

scottishfirstdivisionin.th.png

It all came down to the last day of the season and, after a less-than-stellar run of form I was in second, 3 points behind Hamilton Accies, Partick and QoS were also level on points with me, albeit with a worse GD. In a strange quirk of fate my last game was against Hamilton, away. Only a win would do, the above SS should give you a clue how that turned out :)

Lost in the 97th minute in a save on FM09, Liverpool [me] v Newcastle. I only need a draw to win the league, they get a free kick 30 yards out, a former player that I released steps up for the free kick, curls it into the top corner to win the game and the league for Newcastle, massive facepalm came up soon after :laugh:

Currently in my closest one (albeit in league one) with Swansea. Its been a 3 way race for the top spot recently, contesting it with Peterborough and Colchester. Peterborough seemed to appear out of nowhere thanks to the unusually lethal Marlon Harewood and are currently sitting in second behind me on goal difference with 88 points. Colchester had to play Peterborough but lost, meaning that a gap has opened up between us and them, of 5 points. Still 4 games to go, with 12 points guaranteeing me the title...

Manchester United on my current save. In the first season it quickly became apparent that it would be a three way race between ourselves, Chelsea and Arsenal.

After playing Arsenal and beating them for the second time in the season they suffered a crisis of confidence and fell away. (Beat them 2-0 at OT, 5-2 at The Emirates)

We were neck and neck with Chelsea for the rest of the way with Carlo Ancelotti declaring that our game at Stamford Bridge at the end of April would crown the champions. We had beaten them 1-0 earlier in the season but had lost ground with a shock 2-1 defeat at Sunderland (my bogey team!).

So we went into the game level on points and, thanks to a 90th minute equaliser from Romelu Lukaku, we drew 1-1. Nothing to seperate the teams still.

That remained true until the final day of the season with only Chelsea's goal difference keeping them top.

We faced Fulham away. I set my tactics to all out attack and won the game 4-0. Because I was 4-0 up at half time I decided to watch the scores of the other game. As follows:

They faced Manchester City away and this is how it happened:

20th minute Didier Drogba 1-0 Chelsea

Expected tbh with City sitting in 5th and Mancini on the verge of getting the boot.

58th minute Carlos Tevez 1-1.

Get In we were back in with a shout although as it stood the title was theirs on goal difference.

93rd Minute Kolo Toure 2-1

YESSSSSSS! City had won their most hated rivals the title!!!!!!!

my last season was the closest, i thought it was finally our turn for promotion to the bsp!

heres the story , we managed to climb to the top of the league by 2 points with one game to go with a bottom half of the table team as our last fixture, all we needed was draw! however i lost my clubs best 2 strikers the game before.

we lost the game in the 85th minute 1-0 (also had another striker injured in this game), which left the final league table as follows:

1st harrogate 80

2nd workington 80

3rd blyth (me) 79

we went to the playoffs but needless to say we lost both legs of the semi 1-0 because i literally had no strikers

I'm managing Blyth too!!! I'm in 2016 in the BSP, it's very hard....

For strikers, try with Sanchez Watt

Archived