The context of games

Do AI teams understand the context of games?

For example, in my online game, Chelsea (human controlled) and Arsenal were playing on the last day of the season and Chelsea were 1st, and Arsenal were second with a 3 point difference. Arsenal had a greater goal difference so it was literally winner takes all.

Because it was a human controlled team, I was able to watch the game. Arsenal took the lead after 10 minutes and Chelsea equalised after 55. It was 1-1, a result that wasn't good enough for Arsenal.

I was fully expecting Arsenal to throw the kitchen sink at Chelsea.......put on 4 strikers, go all out attacking, etc, but they didn't. It was at Stamford Bridge, and they played like a 1-1 draw was a good result. They even took off one of their 2 strikers and put on a DM to see the game out.

After the game ended, the commentary said "Chelsea will think they should have won this game............Arsenal will take this!".

Umm....no......they won't! That's the last result they should be taking!

Does the AI teams know about the contexts of games? For example, if on the final day of the season, a team needs to win 5-0 to win the league, will they try and win 5-0, or will they get to 2-0 and then defend the win?

Also, why doesn't the game have different commentary, like in my above example? Why doesn't the game re-calibrate it? For example, if a team has to win 5-0, why not recalibrate the results, so that 1-0 doesnt count as a win, only 5-0 counts as a win (in terms of the AI making in-game decisions)?

I've seen teams come out attacking when it's a cup final, or a 2nd leg when they're behind from the 1st - when the game is obviously requiring attacking, but in the subtle games (like when goal difference is needed, etc) I don't think the game treats it very well, and the commentary definitely doesn't.

Archived