Football Manager 12

Guys I have a question...We all know we are 100% in charge of making transfers in this game (buying/selling). But.....

Did Kenny Daglish buy Carroll and Suarez? Or were they pre meditated by the previous manager and/or the scouting team ?

Because I know with certain teams, the manager simply gives the board/Director of Football an idea of who he wants and then they act

Just a query. Maybe in FM12, the board can say to us that the scouting team has scouted 'x' for over a year and we are ready to purchase this player, and then they will ask us if we are keen on buying this player..

Just a suggestion, as I find it only a little unrealistic that we have 100% control of purhchasing whoever we want. I know managers have 99% control of this, but surely the board, scouts, football director play a role in buying players.

:) Just my cup of tea

I would actually prefer to give a list of positions the 1st team needs players for and the scouting team can go out and get the best players according to what age/location you want them from, then when they come back with a list of players, then you as manager, could work out from the list who to go for.

I would actually prefer to give a list of positions the 1st team needs players for and the scouting team can go out and get the best players according to what age/location you want them from, then when they come back with a list of players, then you as manager, could work out from the list who to go for.

cant you ask your scouts to scout for certain positions already?

SI need to tread carefully, because realism and by that I mean "excessive realism" will become the downfall of Football Manager.

You may be reading this and think I am out of my mind, but in the last decade I have come to know approximately 30 hard-core FM players who have since given up on the game. (Some were FML players).

These are people whom I have known online, from forums, friends and even close relatives. All of them have quit the game because the fun factor was no longer there - and most of their reasons were down to the fact that the game was basically a number crunching database and over time it just became boring.

l still play FM and even though I was once a hardcore player (putting in lots of hours with community work/Beta testing) and I have given my fair share of constructive feedback, I too am finding that in the push for realism, SI seem to have forgotten that not only is Football Manager a GAME but Football itself, yes that ball kicking game we are simulating in our own homes, is also a GAME.

Although the match engine is decent for FM (the graphics arent that good, we all know) , one of the last few fun factors for me is the flexibility I have buying and selling my own players. I am sure everyone will agree it's probably one of the major fun factors of the game. The rest of the features the game is trying to realistically represent (and failing to do so) are nothing but a nuisance at the best of times. Training, Press Conferences, Match Preparations, News Articles etc are all lacking content and are repetitive.

I for one will never buy another FM again if the control over the transfer market is taken out of my hands. As a player and a virtual manager, I would be absolutely unimpressed if I cannot go for targets I want and have to basically give a "shorlist" of players I like to the chairman or I have to play players that the board wants.

So why do I so strongly feel this way?

I play Football Manager because I want to play a game, a game that I want to enjoy.

Whiile I do love playing FM it does frustrate me at the lack of creative content or the over-negative realism displayed in the game.

Since the first FM has come out with assistant manager reports and scout reports, they have always been buggy or have not been 100% correct on the information supplied to the player (manager).

The last thing I need is a few attributes of a scout, chairman or assistant decide on who I am able to sign.

Football Manager still has a lot going for it, but when you start to fiddle with a core hands on element and basically take the control away from the person who is trying to immerse themselves into a game, then you no longer have a simulation.

You basically have yourself a documentary of Football that is being depicted on your pc with a person meerly watching along, totally detached and devoid of any fundamental enjoyment of their experience.

I agree with this thread, but I don't agree that people "can simply go and manage a club", even a small one. Most of us cannot.

Perhaps if these features can be switched on and off in the options, like player attribute masking, it gives everyone the chance to manage the level of realism in their games.

As has been mentioned already, I think this is one feature of real life football that will be left out for gameplay purposes. Chairmen buying players was a feature some time ago, but it was removed after people found it incredibly frustrating.

For me, buying and selling players is the part of the game that I enjoy the most. If I lost control over this to the chairman then I would probably stop playing the game completely.

I would like to see the chairmen buying players again, but have it configurable.

SI have always said that they want to make a realistic football simulator - that's part of football at times and it should be kept it, but make it a setting at the start of the game (load key staff, enable transfer budgets first window etc).

To be contorversial, i would like to see the addition of sporting directors who actually go out and buy the players you highlight - again, this should be something that the user can switch on and off (via board request to sack the sporting director, or hire a new one), but it is something that again mirrors real life. Incidentally, am i the only FMer that doesn't like to buy players? I'd much rather see someone i liked and press a 'buy this player for me' button which would make a sporting director (or the board) go out and agree a fee with the club and the contract for the player i want (the contract will obviously have my input, but the fee side of things is nothing to do with me - perhaps a "it will cost us this to buy this player - are you sure?" confirmation screen.

Pretty sure it was 06. I remember playing as Chelsea and Abramovich saying something along the lines of "i want to see the best players in the world at chelsea. make sure it happens." if you bought players he would say he was happy with the signings and that they were the kind of players he wanted at Chelsea. If you ignored him he would just go out and buy players. In first season he would always for me go out and buy Andrea Pirlo and/ or Esteban Cambiasso. This i didnt mind as both great players and it felt right at the time because he kind of did that in real life with Ballack and Shevchenko.

I wouldnt mind it as a feature in future FM's aslong as you were able to turn it on/off like suggested above similar to transfer budget in first window and player masking

There was something similar to that in a previous version (may have been 05) where the chairman would recommend a player (eg. Christian Vieri) and provide the funding for you to buy him, but you still had the option to ignore it without him stepping in.

I would like to see the chairmen buying players again, but have it configurable.

SI have always said that they want to make a realistic football simulator - that's part of football at times and it should be kept it, but make it a setting at the start of the game (load key staff, enable transfer budgets first window etc).

To be contorversial, i would like to see the addition of sporting directors who actually go out and buy the players you highlight - again, this should be something that the user can switch on and off (via board request to sack the sporting director, or hire a new one), but it is something that again mirrors real life. Incidentally, am i the only FMer that doesn't like to buy players? I'd much rather see someone i liked and press a 'buy this player for me' button which would make a sporting director (or the board) go out and agree a fee with the club and the contract for the player i want (the contract will obviously have my input, but the fee side of things is nothing to do with me - perhaps a "it will cost us this to buy this player - are you sure?" confirmation screen.

thats an awesome idea to be honest. does happen in real life so it should happen on here aswell. Manager tells the board who he wants and they go out and sign them players

SI need to tread carefully, because realism and by that I mean "excessive realism" will become the downfall of Football Manager.

You may be reading this and think I am out of my mind, but in the last decade I have come to know approximately 30 hard-core FM players who have since given up on the game. (Some were FML players).

These are people whom I have known online, from forums, friends and even close relatives. All of them have quit the game because the fun factor was no longer there - and most of their reasons were down to the fact that the game was basically a number crunching database and over time it just became boring.

l still play FM and even though I was once a hardcore player (putting in lots of hours with community work/Beta testing) and I have given my fair share of constructive feedback, I too am finding that in the push for realism, SI seem to have forgotten that not only is Football Manager a GAME but Football itself, yes that ball kicking game we are simulating in our own homes, is also a GAME.

Although the match engine is decent for FM (the graphics arent that good, we all know) , one of the last few fun factors for me is the flexibility I have buying and selling my own players. I am sure everyone will agree it's probably one of the major fun factors of the game. The rest of the features the game is trying to realistically represent (and failing to do so) are nothing but a nuisance at the best of times. Training, Press Conferences, Match Preparations, News Articles etc are all lacking content and are repetitive.

I for one will never buy another FM again if the control over the transfer market is taken out of my hands. As a player and a virtual manager, I would be absolutely unimpressed if I cannot go for targets I want and have to basically give a "shorlist" of players I like to the chairman or I have to play players that the board wants.

So why do I so strongly feel this way?

I play Football Manager because I want to play a game, a game that I want to enjoy.

Whiile I do love playing FM it does frustrate me at the lack of creative content or the over-negative realism displayed in the game.

Since the first FM has come out with assistant manager reports and scout reports, they have always been buggy or have not been 100% correct on the information supplied to the player (manager).

The last thing I need is a few attributes of a scout, chairman or assistant decide on who I am able to sign.

Football Manager still has a lot going for it, but when you start to fiddle with a core hands on element and basically take the control away from the person who is trying to immerse themselves into a game, then you no longer have a simulation.

You basically have yourself a documentary of Football that is being depicted on your pc with a person meerly watching along, totally detached and devoid of any fundamental enjoyment of their experience.

Well said mate. I do understand the point your making. I was also a hardcore FM gamer back in highschool, but the fun factor has also left me. Match preperation, and some other annoying features have ruined this game. I dont understand why SI doesnt just work hard to try and master the ME, instead of focusing on features such as match prep etc, which are a waste of time IMO.

Id rather see a polished, much more advanced version of CM03/04, with the addition of team talks, agents etc. (features which obviously are needed and are crucuial)

• 3 months later...

You should be able to put clauses in loans like they have to give you a player on loan as part of a transfer deal

Also you should be able to manage the under 19s and reserves individually for example work under Wenger as the reserve manager and work your way up and build your rep and I think you shouldn't be. Able to set past experience as international footballer as it makes it too easy to get the good jobs

Also you should the change the way managers get jobs e.g its annoying when ancelotti, wenger and mancini just bounce between chelsea man utd arsenal and man city

SI could make it like Tottenham's transfer policy.

Like on deadline day last season Harry Redknapp told Sky Sports News that Daniel Levy had become aware of Van Der Vaart's situation and asked Harry if he wanted him. Harry said yes and the deal went through.

That would be quite a good feature I feel. Although you would have to be able to say no. :)

This normally happens with young players (e.g. Jordan Henderson, Liverpool probably have been scouting him since he was about 16/17, seeing how he develops. However, ultimately it is up to the manager on who they want. If they do not want him, the club will not sign him.

Well said mate. I do understand the point your making. I was also a hardcore FM gamer back in highschool, but the fun factor has also left me. Match preperation, and some other annoying features have ruined this game. I dont understand why SI doesnt just work hard to try and master the ME, instead of focusing on features such as match prep etc, which are a waste of time IMO.

Id rather see a polished, much more advanced version of CM03/04, with the addition of team talks, agents etc. (features which obviously are needed and are crucuial)

Well.. CM03/04 was perhaps the most fun game of all SI games.. But then again, it was the most unrealistic and easy game they have ever created.. If they went back to that I'd stop playing FM! - While it was fun, it was just simply too easy.. I remember getting promoted every season from lowest league to PL in england without breaking a sweat. And often without spending a single dollar on a player.. and after 10 seasons your bankroll was like 10000 times better than at season 1.. no matter what club you had..

I know this is still possible in FM2011, but no where near as easily achieved although some have done it... I can't and I love it!

But then again if 50%+ want CM0304-style game then I perhaps would be a smart move from SI financially.. :p - but I'd still play FM2011 then

What drives me Insane, is that after you work incredibly hard to get an ideal team together a team with a fat wad of cash that doesnt even reach your players release clause, is sold because your board chairman feels its a good deal and you have no say in the matter. Spent 6 years grooming this hidden little Gem, and when he was finally ready for the first team some big team steps in with a 6M bid (release clause of 40) and the board says oh this deal is too good to let go lets sell him, and I'm just :O. Wish I could say you sell him and i'll follow. QUICKLY. Or at the very least tell the board I can get a bit more than 6M for him. this happened to me whilst I was playing about 4 months ago. Havent touched FM since.

Archived