The "Important matches" attribute - how important is it?

Compared to the "Consistency" attribute, how important is the "Important matches" attribute? I have just found a newgen with extremely nice attributes, except for the "Important matches" which is 3. Will it increase over the years, or is it "locked"?

Yes, I use GenieScout. This thread is not about whether that's cheating or not, so please leave such comments out of it :)

Compared to the "Consistency" attribute, how important is the "Important matches" attribute? I have just found a newgen with extremely nice attributes, except for the "Important matches" which is 3. Will it increase over the years, or is it "locked"?

Yes, I use GenieScout. This thread is not about whether that's cheating or not, so please leave such comments out of it :)

from what i see at genie imp matches doesn't increase over years only consistency does. so the only option would be tutoring. i don't know what it does exactly though

Wow this is a great question, one which I'm not entirely sure of but having done some testing with tutoring I can tell you what I've noticed in that regard.

Consistency increases with age without tutoring, whereas important matches does not. Tutoring is known to have an effect on the hidden attributes such as Ambition, Professionalism (important for player reaching full PA) and Sportsmanship, Tempermant, Versatility etc. A bit of an oversight on my part but I've never checked if it increases Imp. matches, though as it is an hidden attribute I think we can assume that it does.

Can anyone fully back this up?

If the players attributes are excellent my advice would be to pick him up regardless, particularly if he has a high consistency (which I'm assuming you've also checked). There's no harm in not playing the player in the big games of the season, especially if he's picking you up 3 points elsewhere. Consider it an advantage that you know his weakness in this regard and are prepared to throw on a more experienced, reliable player in his stead for the big games.

If you do end up getting him and tutoring him with a 'big game' player let us know how it goes, I would most definitely be interested to see how the player gets on and whether his Imp. matches does in fact increase as thought.

it is extremely hard to get important matches up (if at all)... tutoring doesn't help, only playing on a consistent basis in big matches and performing well enough in them might get it up by a point or two.

but again, it is so hard to get it up that you better forget about it.

Doesn't important matches increase with time? Consistency definitely does because I've seen some of my players lose their poor consistency rating by my coaches as they get older.

I don't think tutoring has an influence on important matches, does it?

Important matches is, well, important though! That can't be denied. There was someone on here who did a test with the likes of Man Utd and Arsenal, reducing all of their important matches attributes down to 1. They both had some crazy results, quite often losing big matches or games against rivals by 5+ goals, but still doing well in their other matches.

what are the important matches? i'm thinking the games against the rival teams, CL or EL finals, different cups finals, supercups...are there others?

National team matches. At the very least WC and EC, possibly others too.

It's fairly important, although I have never tested it scientifically.

My star forward with an important matches stat of 9 consistently comes up short in the bigger games, whereas my other forward (who isn't quite as good IMO) but with an important matches stat of 14 tends to come up with goals in the bigger matches.

• 1 year later...

It is a good stat, but I personally consider consistency to be much more important and a bigger priority.

I don't want my players to be good at the important matches,I want them to be good at all of them.

I think "important matches" includes relegation clashes, promotion clashes, and title clashes as well as all the more obvious ones (later round cup ties, rivals matches). The game usually indicates the importance of the fixture in commentary, or in pre-match conferences ("Ahead of what is undoubtedly your biggest blah blah blah of the season...").

I think both Consistency and Important Matches can improve over time or as the result of particular event triggers (what these are I don't know, but might include something like your player getting a hat-trick in an important match, or maintaining his form for a prolonged period). But it's hard to do anything with them as a manager, even more so than with player personalities. I'd just take note of them, choose who you play in big games accordingly, and cross your fingers that your players improve in this regard as they mature.

Archived