Football in 2050

I set my game on to holiday a few nights back and have got to 2051. In England the winners of the EPL is quite varied in Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and recently Spurs. In Italy Palermo, Napoli and Caglairi are the best sides of the last 20 years. In Spain it's always Real Madrid, Barcelona or Ath. Madrid although Hercules won it in 2029 and 2048. On my save Madrid have not won the league in 20 years so it might be interesting to play as them, my beloved Sunderland have dropped to the Championship and are complete rubbish and Wigan are now in the BSP.

I figured this was just something to do while waiting for the latest patch. I plan to try and holiday for a lot longer yet as I am getting through 8-10 seasons a night. Hopefully I can make it to at least the turn of the century but I am not sure how much the game will start to slow down then. Anyone else seen any strange league winners and domestic dominance from teams that do not start the game as big clubs?

when someone else holidayed until 2150 there seemed to be a problem with the club rich list. Is this a problem for you at all? Like I think clubs that were in debt and of a small stature were in the top 5 in the rich list.

Not really 12 rich clubs, 10 very insecure and only one bankrupt, the rich list includes all the teams listed as rich on the jobs section apart from Notts County who are in the championship. I guess lots can change in 100 years though.

My FM08 game is borderline bizarre in 2050-2060. Newcastle and Portsmouth are the two dominant teams in England, followed by Arsenal who finally got relegated around 2040 thanks to dodgy finances, but are now back up to third. Manchester United now ply their trade in the Championship, as do Liverpool - although both have had reasonable stints in the Premier League in the past 20 years. Chelsea flitter between leagues nowadays.

I dominate the Italian league, having won the last 30+ seasons, but my challengers have varied from Juventus and Lazio, to Lazio and Inter, to Milan and Viareggio - no Italian team seems capable of long-term planning.

La Liga is even crazier. About 10 years ago, it really was a truly-open league where high-40 or low-50 points separated top and bottom consistently. There was no such thing as continuity - you regularly saw teams predicted to finish 16th challenge for the title, and top teams crashing down to mid-table after one good season. Betis and Atlético Madrid are former powerhouses but Deportivo are now the current dominant team, regularly getting challenges from other teams predicted to get relegated. This is fuelled by the fact they can get two strikers into the 40-50 goal range per season - despite the fact La Liga is rather even. So it is kind of like Deportivo smashing bottom teams for 9-0 or 10-0 before slipping up to mid-table teams a lot. However, Deportivo aren't actually that good on a European basis - I beat them 9-2 on aggregate (3-2 away, 6-0 home) and I could have got into double-figures for the home match. In addition, their top scorer is a striker who used to play in Italy, and he was good, but not great.

Spanish teams in general have got nowhere near the top in the Champions League for a while. Real Madrid and Barcelona now flirt with relegation and promotion regularly, except for the odd title push by Barcelona when they do go up.

Because it's so even in Spain, you get lots of young gems coming through - lots of solid, if unspectacular, young players regularly get a lot of games. And because, rather paradoxially, some of the "worst" teams are so bad, you can get rubbish strikers scoring 60 goals (as one above-mid-table Xerez striker did once) in La Liga - he had 40 goals halfway through the season, which was a staggering tally. So although La Liga as a whole is poor now, they produce tons of Balon d'Or winners.

can ypu post some SS?

Sure as long as you do not request loads and loads lol.

My FM08 game is borderline bizarre in 2050-2060. Newcastle and Portsmouth are the two dominant teams in England, followed by Arsenal who finally got relegated around 2040 thanks to dodgy finances, but are now back up to third. Manchester United now ply their trade in the Championship, as do Liverpool - although both have had reasonable stints in the Premier League in the past 20 years. Chelsea flitter between leagues nowadays.

I dominate the Italian league, having won the last 30+ seasons, but my challengers have varied from Juventus and Lazio, to Lazio and Inter, to Milan and Viareggio - no Italian team seems capable of long-term planning.

La Liga is even crazier. About 10 years ago, it really was a truly-open league where high-40 or low-50 points separated top and bottom consistently. There was no such thing as continuity - you regularly saw teams predicted to finish 16th challenge for the title, and top teams crashing down to mid-table after one good season. Betis and Atlético Madrid are former powerhouses but Deportivo are now the current dominant team, regularly getting challenges from other teams predicted to get relegated. This is fuelled by the fact they can get two strikers into the 40-50 goal range per season - despite the fact La Liga is rather even. So it is kind of like Deportivo smashing bottom teams for 9-0 or 10-0 before slipping up to mid-table teams a lot. However, Deportivo aren't actually that good on a European basis - I beat them 9-2 on aggregate (3-2 away, 6-0 home) and I could have got into double-figures for the home match. In addition, their top scorer is a striker who used to play in Italy, and he was good, but not great.

Spanish teams in general have got nowhere near the top in the Champions League for a while. Real Madrid and Barcelona now flirt with relegation and promotion regularly, except for the odd title push by Barcelona when they do go up.

Because it's so even in Spain, you get lots of young gems coming through - lots of solid, if unspectacular, young players regularly get a lot of games. And because, rather paradoxially, some of the "worst" teams are so bad, you can get rubbish strikers scoring 60 goals (as one above-mid-table Xerez striker did once) in La Liga - he had 40 goals halfway through the season, which was a staggering tally. So although La Liga as a whole is poor now, they produce tons of Balon d'Or winners.

That sounds wicked have you always managed an Italian team? How do you keep going when you keep winning, on FM09 I won everything with Sunderland for 10 seasons but struggled to find motivation to keep playing after that.

That sounds wicked have you always managed an Italian team? How do you keep going when you keep winning, on FM09 I won everything with Sunderland for 10 seasons but struggled to find motivation to keep playing after that.

In this game yes - took Triestina from Serie B obscurity to Italian powerhouse.

I am a very casual player so motivation isn't really an issue - I like watching players develop and seeing former players go on to become managers or staff, and watching various patterns. One day I will move on to another game eventually but it is possible to play some really devastating football on FM08. I do do the odd silly challenge or so like starting a 16-year-old goalkeeper for all first-team games, or playing a goalkeeper who is miles past his best.

It also helps that my PC is really slow so I don't really breeze through the game. I can finish a quarter of a season in one weekend so I try to get most things correct, and quite often spend a lot of time "doing a Wikipedia" on my game - clicking through so many things I end up losing track of time.

Its the same in FM11 mate. I am dominating with Milan after I took over in 2023. They hadnt wont the league in 7 years and only Napoli one successive seasons, even then it was only 2. Pretty poor.

I think the AI was pretty good at building a young team in FM08, but terrible at following-through or doing it properly. Sometimes you would find young strikers getting a few games at the start before getting dropped and forgotten; or they would buy one promising talent and surround him with dross, resulting in wonderkids playing in lower-league sides and no top team trying to sign the wonderkids. The AI wasn't ruthless enough - relegated teams were often ridiculously good and nobody wanted the good players from relegated sides. You only see "dynasties" appear in my game because some team gets builds a decent team with one super-effective wonderkid, and the other teams fail to do anything to counter that team - not because anyone builds a good team.

(Except me :D)

This is why I love FM and holidaying Josh Tompson who starts at Celtic has just led Hercules to 3 titles in a row he joined in December 2047 and won the title with them after a barren spell of 6 years he wins three in a row.

Afraid not Crouchy, Steve Castle retired in 2029 and after that there is no staff or anything. There is however a regen who started in Arsenal youth team with your name then moved to Southpoart on a free in the BSP and is now at Eastbourne in league two.

Large database is loaded with England down to BSP, Italy and Spain top two. In 2056 now really hope to get to 2100 at least.

Afraid not Crouchy, Steve Castle retired in 2029 and after that there is no staff or anything. There is however a regen who started in Arsenal youth team with your name then moved to Southpoart on a free in the BSP and is now at Eastbourne in league two.

Large database is loaded with England down to BSP, Italy and Spain top two. In 2056 now really hope to get to 2100 at least.

:(

Any chance of a screenshot of the regen though? ;)

Archived