The worst offside decision ever in the most important match

worstdecisioneverfm.jpg

This is the worst offside decision I have ever seen in football manager history. In my match vs AC MILAN, where whoever won would win the title, 1-0 down from a corner: Coda headed it to Tripodi (man on back post) who headed it into the goal. It was disallowed for offside (not a foul) yet there were 3 players on the goal line! Luckily I went on to win the game 3-1.

Has anyone ever seen a decision as bad as this one?

5475415092_c760f516a3.jpg" width="500" height="281" alt="worst decision ever fm

This is the worst offside decision I have ever seen in football manager history. In my match vs AC MILAN, where whoever won would win the title, 1-0 down from a corner: Coda headed it to Tripodi (man on back post) who headed it into the goal. It was disallowed for offside (not a foul) yet there were 3 players on the goal line! Luckily I went on to win the game 3-1.

Has anyone ever seen a decision as bad as this one?

who cares ? you won the game. And please post a screenshot of the exact moment it was called offisde.

By the exact moment- do you mean the ball in contact with his head or the offside flag on screen? This is basically the screenshot of the moment the ball leaves his head (otherwise player names gets in the way). Also, you can quite clearly see they have 2 players on the line therefore in no situation can he be offside (even if he was standing off the pitch, which he quite clearly isn't, he would be considered onside). Obviously I'm pleased I won but can you believe this actually happens in the game- its the worst official/linesman decision I've ever seen!

cud be a good decision depending on where the defender was that was marking the man at backpost when the ball was headed. THe 2 defenders could be standing BEHIND the goal line, therefore leaving him offside? Anyways sounds more like a foul situation, would need to see more to tell........

cud be a good decision depending on where the defender was that was marking the man at backpost when the ball was headed. THe 2 defenders could be standing BEHIND the goal line, therefore leaving him offside? Anyways sounds more like a foul situation, would need to see more to tell........

Well, there is no way he is offside and players can't stand off the pitch on football manager. At first I assumed it was a foul but it was clearly indicated as offside. Ill put up a screenshot with the offside indicated for you.

Except that where they are in relation to the goal line doesn't matter, as was demonstrated (and backed up by many referees as the right decision) in Euro 2008 when Ruud van Nistelrooy scored against Italy. Panucci was injured in the build-up to the goal and lying well behind the goal line, but was still considered as an 'active' defender until the ball went dead (which in this case happened when the ball went in the back of the net) and even though he was behind the goal line he was still considered to be playing van Nistelrooy onside. It seems dodgy and was a HIGHLY contentious goal decision at the time, but it's probably the right decision for the sake of the game, otherwise you could imagine defenders abusing it by standing on the goal line (playing everyone onside) then stepping back (thus hopefully meaning an attacker is then in an offside position, but probably with less risk involved than playing a proper offside trap if it doesn't work out)

If you remember the world cup, even an injured player lying behind the goal line still counts as active. You can't just step off the pitch to play someone offside.

worstdecisioneverfm1.jpg

This is the closest possible screenshot, I've even removed player names so you can see the ball at this point. You can clearly see the two defenders on the line aren't moving- thats why the decision is so unbelievable. I sat there for a good 10 minutes in disbelief at the situation.

Why is it only 1-0 in first post and 3-1 in the other post but same picture ?

worstdecisioneverfm1.jpg

This is the closest possible screenshot, I've even removed player names so you can see the ball at this point. You can clearly see the two defenders on the line aren't moving- thats why the decision is so unbelievable. I sat there for a good 10 minutes in disbelief at the situation.

lol and wheres the player whos taken the corner?? If its from the right side of the pick, the attacker is yet to touch the ball, please post a shot AFTER the striker has headed the ball...

Hmmm and like the other guy has said, why is it 3-1 on 1 screen shot and 0-1 on the other lol? I think youve takenn a screeny of a completly different corner..

Because the first screeny was taken when the incident was "live" in the game. He got the second after someone requested it so he had to go back to the game and go through the highlights to find the incident again, obviously the game had finished 3-1 so thats the score that is displayed at the top, the final score, go watch the highlights of one of your games and it'll have the final score not the current score at the top.

The corner was obviously taken from the right and Coda has just headed it back across to Tripodi, who is obviously onside.

lol and wheres the player whos taken the corner?? If its from the right side of the pick, the attacker is yet to touch the ball, please post a shot AFTER the striker has headed the ball...

Hmmm and like the other guy has said, why is it 3-1 on 1 screen shot and 0-1 on the other lol? I think youve takenn a screeny of a completly different corner..

Is that not just because one is live and the other is highlights? On the 3-1 there is no minute counter either, I could be totally wrong though lol.

Already answered.

I fail to see what is wrong with this. I like the idea that anything can happen, that the refs can make horrendous decisions like they do IRL all the time. As long as it is fair probabilities for both teams.

Edit: That is some decision though lol

I fail to see what is wrong with this. I like the idea that anything can happen, that the refs can make horrendous decisions like they do IRL all the time. As long as it is fair probabilities for both teams.

It's fine refs making mistakes but they should be believable, no matter what you think of real life refereeing there is no way a real ref or assistant would flag this as offside, Stevie Wonder can see this is 3 yards on.

Because the first screeny was taken when the incident was "live" in the game. He got the second after someone requested it so he had to go back to the game and go through the highlights to find the incident again, obviously the game had finished 3-1 so thats the score that is displayed at the top, the final score, go watch the highlights of one of your games and it'll have the final score not the current score at the top.

The corner was obviously taken from the right and Coda has just headed it back across to Tripodi, who is obviously onside.

That is correct. Any people who think I have tampered with the image are completely wrong and there would be no point in the discussion of the decision.

Edit: That is some decision though lol

I'm not saying referee decisions hould always be correct. I like the fact referees/linesmen get decisions wrong. But this post is to show an extreme situation which has astonished myself. Has anyone ever seen as bad a decision as this on fm?

The players look to be inside the goal, which would mean they aren't active, thus meaning the next up defender is the offside line.

That's irrelevant according to the offside law. They can be outside the field but still count as defenders, unless they're injured.

If you remember the world cup, even an injured player lying behind the goal line still counts as active. You can't just step off the pitch to play someone offside.

Yes but that is an incorrect interpretation by the referee. A player leaving the field of play may be considered to be part of a playing movement. But its quite obvious when its an injury that they are no longer part of a playing movement unless it is a direct attempt to fool the officials............ but thats another story lol

Id like to see a screeny of when tripodi touches the ball, not the assisting player. For all we know by the time the ball reaches tripoldi the goalkeeper could have gone towards the ball and the guys on the posts could have stepped forward??

Im not accusing you of tampering with the screenys or trying to pull the wool over our eyes, just that those screens arent conclusive.

Id like to see a screeny of when tripodi touches the ball, not the assisting player. For all we know by the time the ball reaches tripoldi the goalkeeper could have gone towards the ball and the guys on the posts could have stepped forward??

Im not accusing you of tampering with the screenys or trying to pull the wool over our eyes, just that those screens arent conclusive.

Offside is decided at the time the ball was played- it doesn't matter when Tripodi touches the ball. It matters when the ball is passed to him.

are u really a football fan and dont know that offside is when the ball is played not when it comes to the player in question

where is the video?

I cannot upload a video via the fm-youtube way as fm only lets you upload goals. I have recorded a video using other software but am unable to upload it as my internet is too slow im afraid. Im not waiting 26 hours for a video to upload... The screenshot makes it clear enough though.

No wonder Leeds fans are always angry, they don't understand the rules of the game. ;)

If the players left the park they would still be playing him onside. Sure something similar happened when Van Nistelrooy scored and there was an opponent about 3 yards out of the pitch and the goal was given. FIFA said it was the right desicion to award the goal.

If the player has "left the pitch" to attempt to deceive the referee into giving an incorrect offside decision, he should also be cautioned.

It is a cautionable offence to enter or re-enter the field of play without the referees permission. There may also be a case for a yellow card to be given for unsporting behavior but that would be up to the referees discretion.

If the player has "left the pitch" to attempt to deceive the referee into giving an incorrect offside decision, he should also be cautioned.

It is a cautionable offence to enter or re-enter the field of play without the referees permission. There may also be a case for a yellow card to be given for unsporting behavior but that would be up to the referees discretion.

this was the goal I was talking about. Player off the park is still "in play" so can still play him onside. Confusing rule I suppose. As for the OP we would really need to see the video as going by that picture it is definetley onside.

this was the goal I was talking about. Player off the park is still "in play" so can still play him onside. Confusing rule I suppose. As for the OP we would really need to see the video as going by that picture it is definetley onside.

Exactly. He is ONSIDE (both Van Nistelroy and the OP Screenshot). If a player leaves the pitch, deliberately or not, he is deemed to be still active until the next phase of play. If the referee determines it a deliberate attempt to catch a player offside then he can caution him for unsporting behavior. If the player fails to inform the referee that he is re-entering the field of play he can also be cautioned for that.

However, IRL I would expect a referee to get this right, but to have it coded into a game is a completely different story.

One little change in the Match Engine I would like to see is penalties getting re-taken for encroachment. I know when I ref, it is a big thing of mine that I look for once a player is in the process of taking a penalty. Goalkeepers are the worst, always coming off their line before the ball has been kicked.

One little change in the Match Engine I would like to see is penalties getting re-taken for encroachment. I know when I ref, it is a big thing of mine that I look for once a player is in the process of taking a penalty. Goalkeepers are the worst, always coming off their line before the ball has been kicked.
While it's certainly true that the goalkeeper will almost invariably hop off his line before the penalty is taken, how often do you see penalties being ordered to be retaken because of it? It happens with almost every penalty but I honestly can't remember too many times watching things like Match of the Day or the Football League show where a ref has ordered a penalty to be retaken (maybe once or twice a season, but it really doesn't get called up on too often at all)

While it's certainly true that the goalkeeper will almost invariably hop off his line before the penalty is taken, how often do you see penalties being ordered to be retaken because of it? It happens with almost every penalty but I honestly can't remember too many times watching things like Match of the Day or the Football League show where a ref has ordered a penalty to be retaken (maybe once or twice a season, but it really doesn't get called up on too often at all)

Very true. It's something that is all to often over looked by match officials and as a qualified referee myself, it's something that really grinds my gears. The law is there for a reason and it should be upheld to the letter IMO. I don't know how true it is but somebody told me that only 60% of all top flight penalties have been converted this season, which given the amount of times I see keepers coming of their line before the kick is taken, wouldn't surprise me if true. In saying all that though, the referee is within his right to allow a goal to stand if there has been encroachment from the Goalkeeper, it's only if it's been saved/missed that he should order a re-take. Same for player encroachment into the area. If it's the attacking side and he misses/saved, it stands. Scores and it's a re-take. If it's defending player and he misses/saved re-take, scores and it stands. Players from both sides and it's re-taken regardless.

It would still make a nice little feature if you seen it once every every season or two. Would add to the suspense and drama of the game as it does in real life.

I think refs dont give it very often because the next penalty they will have to be really strict on it for consitency. For example if he scores it initially then misses the retake then the ref will be scrutinised for it on MOTD and stuff.

Clearly offside but refs do occasionally make decisions that make you go 'Is that ref getting paid or something? How do they actually have that job?'. And Refs tend to favour the big high profile players when a big club plays a small club & that should be implemented into the game too.

Archived