Why???

One week I thrash Leeds 5-0 in the cup.

Next week I lose 2-1 away to Ipswich. (I'm 3rd in the league, their 12th).

I dominated the game, 3 clear cut chances to 1.

There must be a reason why I lost this game?? What more could I have done??

Annoying when it could ruin promotion chances. Seems abit silly:confused:

having watched football alot in real life... i also question why arsenal have not won a trophy in the last few years as they should not be losing to anybody outside the usual man united/chelsea... and then i remember its football and that nothing is straightforward :D

The beauty of the FM series is that it is not an exact science as is real football, you can not expect results on stats and form, if you could I would be a horse racing millionaire by now. It keeps you going, you, like some of your players may of become complacent and fallen foe to the opposition.

Don't worry too much and give them the hair dryer treatment. You will bounce back for sure...

First off, remember it's based on real life and nothing is guaranteed in football. Upsets are an inevitability.

However, why it might have happened after the 5-0 win is a different story. I would be interested in knowing how you gave your team talks post 5-0 win and pre 2-1 loss. There's every possibility that your players became complacent due to their big win against Leeds and thought they'd walk it in against Ipswich.

A good tip to avoid complacency is to keep track of your ass man's pre-match feedback where he will comment: "Bob Bobson looked complacent during the warm-up". This is a sign that you need to give him a pre-match talk along the lines of "Expect a performance!" to ensure he's focused on the match. With the overall team talk if you're touted as comfortable favorites I always "expect a win" from my players. However, due to personal preference I'm an incredibly demanding coach, which can sometimes backfire. Since you were playing away it's often better to be slightly more encouraging: "You can win this match"; "for the fans", with individual team talks for players who are complacent + "pick up where you left off" for those who earned this team talk form the last game.

Also, during matches I like to have the player motivation up whilst I watch the match. Therefore, you can quickly gauge how your team talk has effected certain players and gain an insight into watch changes in your talk or tactics you may have to make as the match progresses. Personally players who become complacent for me, usually when I'm a few goals up and past 60mins are dragged off on their asses for a youngster. Purely because this keeps them hungry and focused to play in the next match, as well as serving as a reprimand for their complacency in the current fixture.

Know your players, their personalities and how team talks in the past have effected them and it is much easier to keep a run of form from petering out. Hope the tips help.

A good tip to avoid complacency is to keep track of your ass man's pre-match feedback where he will comment: "Bob Bobson looked complacent during the warm-up". This is a sign that you need to give him a pre-match talk along the lines of "Expect a performance!" to ensure he's focused on the match. With the overall team talk if you're touted as comfortable favorites I always "expect a win" from my players. However, due to personal preference I'm an incredibly demanding coach, which can sometimes backfire. Since you were playing away it's often better to be slightly more encouraging: "You can win this match"; "for the fans", with individual team talks for players who are complacent + "pick up where you left off" for those who earned this team talk form the last game.

Also, during matches I like to have the player motivation up whilst I watch the match. Therefore, you can quickly gauge how your team talk has effected certain players and gain an insight into watch changes in your talk or tactics you may have to make as the match progresses. Personally players who become complacent for me, usually when I'm a few goals up and past 60mins are dragged off on their asses for a youngster. Purely because this keeps them hungry and focused to play in the next match, as well as serving as a reprimand for their complacency in the current fixture..

^^True. But am I alone in thinking that the performance relys so much on getting that bit right? Team talks are the difference between winnning the league and just making the playoffs. You can have the best tactics and players in the league but screw up your multi choice teamtalks and it wont matter. Yeah, team talks happen irl but it cant really be simulated in a game properly.

Annoying when it could ruin promotion chances. Seems abit silly:confused:

If it is happening regularly then it could well be a tactical issue.

Are you creating a lot of chances that look very similar but are often missed?

Imo I think you should ignore the CCC stat and and look at the chances themselves, like dafuge, see if they are similar types of misses.

^^True. But am I alone in thinking that the performance relys so much on getting that bit right? Team talks are the difference between winnning the league and just making the playoffs. You can have the best tactics and players in the league but screw up your multi choice teamtalks and it wont matter. Yeah, team talks happen irl but it cant really be simulated in a game properly.

Well having played with a range of different teams from Barcelona to Shrewsbury I would say that no one thing is solely responsible for winning games. Even if you get your team talk completely correct you can still botch a result through poor tactics, poor substitutions or poor team selection.

On the other end of the spectrum, I went 17 games with Barcelona in the first season straight of the bat without conceding. That was purely due to the quality of player at my disposal. I sent them out with expect a win every game and just sat back and watched. But, to me that was no fun so I've stopped playing the save. Mostly, I was playing with Barca to see if I could recreate their real world tactics like so many others have on this forum and others.

When you're playing with a team like Shrewsbury, however, I think that team talks can be the difference, as you said, between winning the league and play-offs. I don't think this is entirely unrealistic becayuse the playing field in thgat competition is much more levelled. The gap between players is not so vast between teams, therefore making great motivational team talks more likely to inspire your team to victories. PLaying as Blackpool vs. Man Utd you're going to need a hell of a lot of luck as well as excellent decision making.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that getting your team talks right in games increases the likelihood your players will perform to their utmost and give you a shot of winning. In lower leagues it is therefore more likely to be effective. I would agree that the team talks are getting a little stale recently, the same variations with the same effect on players every year isn't proving that challenging for old CM, FM players. Hopefully it'll be something revamped in future versions

Archived