Too good to refuse but doesnt fit the system?

What is the most you have paid for a player, just because he was available and too good to refuse? Perhaps he was not entirely needed or doesn't fit the system you are playing but is still too good to turn down!

This kid is turning into a fantastic player but i would love some insight into where you guys think he would be best suited? I play a 4-2-3-1 and the striker i have is off the back of scoring 36 goals last season in the lone striker role. I have a 29 year old Henrique as the AMC and a 30 year old Marko Marin racking up the goals and assists from the right wing. 12 goals and 24 assists for him last season. Do i wait for these 2 to start declining before putting this kid in? Or rotate him with the lone striker? Just off the back of a league and champions league double so don't want to change formation to suit one player.

bartoli2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rotate him...

he's probably good enough to substitute for the wing, the AMC and the lone striker too.

Not the best pacey striker, but if you play long balls and crosses he'd become a good scorer as a target man.

How is he off the left? You could retrain him into an inside forward.

I have never tried him there. Although i currently have the best left winger in the game. His squad status is 'squad rotation' so i think i'll do what you guys have advised me.

What about anyone else? Has anyone bought a player that doesn't really fit just because he was available and too good to refuse? And what is the most you have spent on one?

What about anyone else? Has anyone bought a player that doesn't really fit just because he was available and too good to refuse? And what is the most you have spent on one?

It happened to me with a bunch of tall strikers, but I signed them on free transfer so it wasn't expensive.

I tend to play a 4-2-3-1 through the middle, so having a slow lone striker wasn't the best idea... although one of them turned out to be a good target man in his AMC/Inside Forward position.

Other than that I do not sign, say, a winger if I don't use wide players in my tactic.

I've just 'bought' a MR/AMR who fits into that category, but it's not quite the same as i'm in the Blue Square Premier and so all my signings are free agents.

All four of our wide players in our last season where we won the BSN were winger types, quick and skillful. This guy is much more of a wide midfielder, with not much pace or skill. He also isn't the best passer, but he's very intelligent and an excellent crosser of the ball, with very good technique and should be good for a few goals as well. I usually prefer players who are quick and skillful or who are good passers of the ball, yet this guy is neither. But he is a very good player if i can adjust my system to get the best out of him.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update for the guys who gave me advice! I ended up playing him in the AMC advanced playmaker and moving Henrique back to CM. Have a look at how his season went....

bartoliseason.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sometimes it pays off buying someone because they are too good to refuse and making them fit into your system! He also won spanish YPOTY and POTY as well as the Champions League best player award! Fantastic season. So many goals and assists from attacking midfield.

It happened to me with a bunch of tall strikers, but I signed them on free transfer so it wasn't expensive.

I tend to play a 4-2-3-1 through the middle, so having a slow lone striker wasn't the best idea... although one of them turned out to be a good target man in his AMC/Inside Forward position.

<b>Other than that I do not sign, say, a winger if I don't use wide players in my tactic.</b>

I do this a lot, especially in lower leagues. I was managing in League Two and got Matteo Alberto (winger) on loan, playing a narrow diamond so I used him at MC (where he was just "unconvincing") and he was my best player.

i just bought eden hazard in jan, in my first season as fiorentina manager. didn't really need him, was planning to buy him further down the line, but got him for £16 million!! then liverpool came in for juan manuel vargas a couple of days later for £14 million!! hazards been pretty crap so far tho, lol, but i bought medhi carcela too, for just £1.6 million and he's scoring a few and getting a few assists too!

i just bought eden hazard in jan, in my first season as fiorentina manager. didn't really need him, was planning to buy him further down the line, but got him for £16 million!! then liverpool came in for juan manuel vargas a couple of days later for £14 million!! hazards been pretty crap so far tho, lol, but i bought medhi carcela too, for just £1.6 million and he's scoring a few and getting a few assists too!

Stick with him mate. He becomes brilliant. Has been superb for Man City in my Sevilla save. Worth about £25 mil.

As Man City in FM10, I played an aggressive 4-1-3-2 formation with one MC behind a line of AML, AMC and AMR. Despite this, I couldn't say no to an excellent looking Slovakian DMC regen. I got FM11 before he really got a chance to play. :(

How come he has no image at first but does in the second screenie? :S

Playing about with gfx?

I have no idea why to be honest... I never even noticed. Maybe someone else can say why. No, i have't played about with anything or downloaded facepacks etc,

For me, you've got to discipline yourself. As a lower league manager with very limited resources and a small squad, I just can't afford passengers. For example, I usually use a formation that is bereft of wingers; therefore, no matter how brilliant a winger who is recommended to me might be, I won't look at him. However, versatile players are very useful, such as a DM who is accomplished at DC. The match prep screen now makes it clear that players with limited footballing intelligence really struggle to learn new formations, so changing a formation to accommodate one brilliant player is suicidal.

what? 56 assists?! insane!

He was absolutely superb. The weird thing is, he racked up most of those assists in the first half of the season, then in the second half of the season, he started scoring most of his goals

Archived