Players stealing penalty duties

this was talked about a while back and apparently, if a player has two goals and a penalty is given, he will take to try and get his hatrick. However, this will not happen if you are losing, drawing or have a very slender lead...

i use the word 'apparently' as this is how it is meant to work...not sure if it always does...

I think it would be good to have an option that just as a penalty is awarded, a pop-up screen appears and gives you the choice of who to take. You can then give the player with the brace a chance to score his hattrick, or you can choose your designated taker.

I think it would be useful as well as sometimes my star striker has an off day and we then get awarded a penalty, I know there is a chance he'll score but I'd prefer to give it to something playing much better on the day but keep 'star striker' as 1st choice taker normally.

But I don't think it really happens IRL much so not sure ...

I don't think I've ever seen much deviation from the set penalty takers in real life through a manager reorganising in-game, but it can be frustrating seeing your designated taker stepping up, knowing full well that he's "playing without confidence" in the current game. Cue balloon shot.

this was talked about a while back and apparently, if a player has two goals and a penalty is given, he will take to try and get his hatrick. However, this will not happen if you are losing, drawing or have a very slender lead...

i use the word 'apparently' as this is how it is meant to work...not sure if it always does...

Really?

Yesterday I was playing as Sunderland and I was 4-0 down against Newcastle at half time. We then clicked and by the 80th minute we had clawed our way back into the game and were now only losing 4-3 courtesy of 1 goal by Gyan and 2 by Cattermole. We then got a penalty and so Cattermole stepped up to take it and promptly booted it well over the bar.

Now, if he was my first choice penalty taker I would be very annoyed, but he wasn't even picked as one of my top 20 penalty takers. There were 9 players on the pitch who were in that 20, and 4 players in the top 5 but he still stepped up to take it.

I was sacked on the back of this result.

Moral of the story, Lee Cattermole = ****.

Really?

Yesterday I was playing as Sunderland and I was 4-0 down against Newcastle at half time. We then clicked and by the 80th minute we had clawed our way back into the game and were now only losing 4-3 courtesy of 1 goal by Gyan and 2 by Cattermole. We then got a penalty and so Cattermole stepped up to take it and promptly booted it well over the bar.

Now, if he was my first choice penalty taker I would be very annoyed, but he wasn't even picked as one of my top 20 penalty takers. There were 9 players on the pitch who were in that 20, and 4 players in the top 5 but he still stepped up to take it.

Ouch, I had also heard that it was normally only used when winning by 2 goals or more? But obviously not ...

It's been in for a few versions (since FM08 or maybe 09) and seems to have got steadily worse over those versions. At first they were only taken with 2 goal cushions, but people complain about it happening at crucial times a lot now.

Really?

yeah like i said, it's 'apparently' the way it's meant to work!

Archived