Accidentally Qualify for the Champions League?

So, here's the situation. I've gradually guided little ol' Middlesbrough back to the Premier League, and have taken safe mid-table finishes since. Last season was my best to date, and I came in 10th place.

This season, I was told the minimum expectations of me were to finish in the top 10. We started poorly, and when I was in 12th or 13th place in November, I was constantly being reminded that I was underachieving, and I even had a few players come to me to discuss their concerns. Thankfully, I avoided any mutiny, and we've picked up the pace since then.

It's now the start of April, and I'm sat in 6th place in the Premier League. I could conceivably win all of my remaining 6 matches in what is shaping up to be an incredibly tight finish. The top three are miles away, but from 4th down, we have:

Pts Team

60 Man City

59 Aston Villa

57 Middlesbrough

56 Chelsea

54 Birmingham

and then a drop down to the midfield pack. It is perfectly reasonable to suspect that I could sneak that 4th place finish, and the Champions League qualifying spot, but I'm not sure I could do it again next year. Man City will undoubtedly spend big to make 4th place their own, while I suspect teams like Chelsea and Tottenham have underachieved this year with the squads they have.

I don't want to redevelop my squad to be able to repeat this feat, as I'm gradually building a team of talented English youngsters, but I feel that if I get 4th, the board will expect it again next year.

Has anyone seen the board thank them for a lucky season, and only expect midtable again the season after?

I don't need any higher rep though! Unless it draws a lot more fans in, I'm losing money spending £500k/week on wages. If players see me as a big club, they're going to want more money - I already think I'll have to break my £43k/week wage cap to accomodate the striker who's got me to here.

Gulls - thats a serious worry. I won one of my first 7 games this season after I finished last year so strongly. We always seem to start slow.

We always seem to start slow.

If you start slow, try changing your pre-season a little! Maybe increase intensity of the training or arrange more challenging friendlies!

But if i was you, i'd try as hard as i can to qualify. Your income/rep will greatly increase and increasing rep means more fans which means more money!

You've done well with Middlesbrough so the board shouldnt be too harsh!

After getting to third place and qualifying for the Champions League with Sunderland, the board would have been happy for me to aim for a top half finish. I opted to aim for Europe again though, since I'm pretty confident I can at least get into the Europa League, especially with the transfer budget they were offering if I aimed for that.

If you start slow, try changing your pre-season a little! Maybe increase intensity of the training or arrange more challenging friendlies!

I tried that last year. I had about 10 friendlies against teams as diverse as Crewe and Athletico Madrid, made practically no changes in terms of transfers, and still began the season losing to Fulham or someone.

For those interested, the table with 3 games to go now reads

Pts Team

69 Man City (4th)

66 Middlesbrough

65 Chelsea

+way back.

It could all have been so different, Man City just beat the side bottom of the league 2-1 with two goals in the last 5 minutes. If they'd lost! Me and Man City have two games against lower midtable sides, but most intriguingly, our second last game of the season is against each other at the Riverside. Tense does not do justice to how I feel now.

I think you'll be fine. I tend to like to holiday games and then take over my beloved Liverpool(who usually suck ass by the time I take them over!), and generally within a season of wheeling and dealing and my tactics, the title is mine. Yet rarely do they demand the title again next year.

Hmm.

I beat Man City, which was very nice. I was held to a draw by West Ham and Bolton. Had I won those games, I would have been in the Champions League. As it was, I finished 6th. Words were had. Fines were given.

How did your players react to the fine?

I once had a bad reaction and swore to only fine for red cards since.

Anyway better luck next season!

BtW don't be afraid of the the board expectations they are very reasonable.

How do you accidentally qualify for the Champions League?

Go on a mad run of good form without knowing how. I took 10 points against the top 4 teams, and have no idea how.

How did your players react to the fine?

I once had a bad reaction and swore to only fine for red cards since.

Anyway better luck next season!

BtW don't be afraid of the the board expectations they are very reasonable.

They were cool with them. They know to expect it from me. If anyone gets below a 6, they'll get a warning, 5.8 it's a 1 week, 5.6 and it's 2 weeks.

Whenever I sign someone new, they get a bit annoyed when they first get fined, but eventually they just accept it.

I've won the premier league 2 season running with Bradford and the board still only ask for euro qualification. It goes on team stature rather than past results so you'll be fine. The cash you'll get from the CL will be awesome too.

*Off topic* Thinking of doing a bradford game, Is it as fun as it looks?

You're stronger than I am. I took Boro to the Prem, through the playoffs, and after being bottom at Xmas went on a stunning run in the second half of the season to finish 12th and win the league cup. Five games into the new season and I had a decent start, Spurs come calling and off I go, I've never felt guilty in a FM game....until this career.

if you had qualified for the CL i don't think the board would have demanded anything rather than what they've done the past few years, as arsenal i was poor the first 2 seasons cos i always use that period to make the squad my own and after finish 5th first season then 4th i got my own vision of a squad and won the league 3 times in a row including a treble in the 5th season (league cup instead of fa cup though, damn city) but the board still say continental qualification and they've been saying that since day one, and every year when january comes round and they ask for a change in expectations i just keep it the same cos all it does is put pressure on the squad especially since they're offering me 95m in transfer budget but i haven't spent more than 10 mil in a season since buying mata in season two for almost 30m just to sell him 6 months later to united

Archived