42 Flipping 4

If they score 2 every time the AI switches to 4-2-4, perhaps it is time for you to do something about it rather than come on here and complain? Read the Tactics threads in the Unofficial Tactics Bible thread at the top of the Tactics forum to find out how to combat this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stella:

why cant they AI except losing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same reason you can't accept losing. Rather than moan to us on here, the AI changed things about. I understand your frustration, but expecting the opposition to roll over defeats the whole point of the game.

... so your complaining that you lost a game because the ai changed tactics, you didnt change to counter it and they scored two goals.

Because, that sounds to me like your complaining because the game actually does what its meant to. Which is ironic. As apparently, you bought it. Which would suggest you wanted it.

Except apparently, now you dont.

I do wish that it would cut to match engine when a side is changing it's formation. Generally it's easy to notice, but depending on the game I sometimes only watch key highlights Which means you might not see the formation change in the engine until 10 minutes after the change, the first highlight to come up is them scoring on the break or something similar.

It's really a definition of what's a key moment. I think the opposition suddenly switching to four strikers should be just as important as a sending off. People shouldn't have to watch the last ten minutes in full match mode or have keep checking the formations page.

The only notice the match engine seems give occasionally is than '%team% is looking for more options in attack'

The AI should try to attack, but the number of 4-2-4s is simply not realistic. Every bloody team goes into a mad frenzy and uses 4-2-4 when losing near the end. You just don't see that quite as much. I don't remember seeing any team throw in 4 forwards and go so attacking anytime recently. Any plain old 4-4-2 with attacking mentality and the wingers moving to AML/R with arrows to FL/R should be enough, and realistic for that matter. I've really seen enough of this after seeing a lower league Romanian team try it on me in a friendly. Not that it can't be countered but it's not realistic and needs tweaking down for future games.

The thing I dont understand is how come every team that for 80 minutes comes 2nd best in every challenge and struggles to even get into my half can instantly reverse things when they switch to 424.

A recent international game against Faroe Islands and despite peppering their goal for 80minutes England are only 2-0 up.

A long ball over the top and its a 50 yard race between their lone striker and Nedum Onuoha (acc and pace 19). Their striker manages to open up a 15 yard gap, it was like looking at a sprint between Hypia and Walcot, but when I look at the strikers stats he has acc 7 pace 6!!

I dont usually have any trouble keeping a lead against the 424 but the way the opposition can generate pressure in the last few minutes makes me think that they gat a huge stat boost if they are only 1 or 2 goals down.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stella:

i have a tactic that i use against there 424 i just forgot to change and they score 2. it was an important game so im right to be mardy alright </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brilliant, the best moan I've seen yet!!

You're actually complaining about the fact that the AI tries to get back into a match and manages to do so because you didn't bother to try and hold onto your lead?

Lately I'm trying to make an effort to understand peoples problems rather than just jump on their backs and tell them it's their own fault and that there will be something thay can do about it. But threads like this make it very difficult.

I think this is a great feature of the AI

I think if this chap thinks about it logically or observes what some teams seem to do in real life he may consider 1) getting all men behind the ball 2) packing out the midfield 3) wasteing time 4) looking to counter attack a team desperately attacking 5) put arrows facing backwards on his fallbacks to help prevent wingers getting beyond his defence

Its not guaranteed to work as we see it doesn't in real life. Not all teams try to protect a 1 goal lead, some try to kill the game off by scoring another

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Negatrev:

I do wish that it would cut to match engine when a side is changing it's formation. Generally it's easy to notice, but depending on the game I sometimes only watch key highlights Which means you might not see the formation change in the engine until 10 minutes after the change, the first highlight to come up is them scoring on the break or something similar.

It's really a definition of what's a key moment. I think the opposition suddenly switching to four strikers should be just as important as a sending off. People shouldn't have to watch the last ten minutes in full match mode or have keep checking the formations page.

The only notice the match engine seems give occasionally is than '%team% is looking for more options in attack' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Quoted For Truth".

I've always thought this would be invaluable. I think years back I might have posted a suggestion about having tick-boxes for various conditions under which the game would automatically pause and allow you to go to the tactics screen, such as opposition formation change, sending off, penalty etc. Although I probably just did my usual trick of typing it out and then having second thoughts and pressing close. icon_smile.gif

Back in the days when I still thought man-marking was a good idea, it would drive me nuts that my two central defenders would man mark the 2 oppo strikers, only for them to stick a 3rd totally unmarked player up front without me knowing until it was too late.

When people only get chance to play the game for 45mins a day on their lunchbreaks etc., then it's not unreasonable that they want to play using extended or key highlights. Unfortunately I think that when you do this, it is too easy to miss such vital information.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Negatrev:

The only notice the match engine seems give occasionally is than '%team% is looking for more options in attack' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only play with the commentary on, so no highlights or extended game coverage.

And every time the opposing team changes it formation, I get the message:

"Team is changing its formation to 4-2-4", so ample opportunity for me to change my formation!

No problems here...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i have a tactic that i use against there 424 i just forgot to change and they score 2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Suprised no one picked up on thsi. He has a tactic to counter the AI's 4-2-4 yet he 'forgot' to use it, then complains lol icon_rolleyes.gif

Listen this is really easy. Click on formations and when not in match highlights you can see when they change formation . When the ai team change to 4-2-4 which is always in the last 10 mins, pause the game and change your tactic.

To the op this is the most stupid moan i have ever seen. icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The thing I dont understand is how come every team that for 80 minutes comes 2nd best in every challenge and struggles to even get into my half can instantly reverse things when they switch to 424.

A recent international game against Faroe Islands and despite peppering their goal for 80minutes England are only 2-0 up.

A long ball over the top and its a 50 yard race between their lone striker and Nedum Onuoha (acc and pace 19). Their striker manages to open up a 15 yard gap, it was like looking at a sprint between Hypia and Walcot, but when I look at the strikers stats he has acc 7 pace 6!!

I dont usually have any trouble keeping a lead against the 424 but the way the opposition can generate pressure in the last few minutes makes me think that they gat a huge stat boost if they are only 1 or 2 goals down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here here icon14.gif. The same old things in the last 10/15 minutes when the AI goes 424:-

- crap team starts performing like Brazil 1970 one touch high tempo maestros;

- crap full backs with crap passing, technique and creativity attributes can suddenly ping 50 yard diagonal balls in behind the full backs that drop right onto the winger's toes, who despite his first touch attribute of 9 can take it down like Bergkamp in USA 94;

- AI players suddenly first to every loose ball;

- my defenders' clearances suddenly start to land right at the opposition players' feet while AI defenders' clearances suddenly turn into 60 yard pin point through balls;

- when my players challenge the ball breaks loose to the AI opposition but never vice versa;

- my goalkeeper keeps punting the ball upfield despite being set to distribute to full back;

- my players suddenly look like they have never seen a football in their lives and suddenly have the vision of Mr Magoo when picking a pass

Whether or no there is an actual AI performance boost is irrelevant to me, as all that matters is what it feels like. And it feels like a rip off. If their players were capable of playing like this then why didn't they do so from the first whistle?

Feels good to vent icon_wink.gif

didnt take long to get someone one to say stop complaining did it?

i have a tactic that i use against there 424 i just forgot to change and they score 2. it was an important game so im right to be mardy alright </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, now, ask yourself this question: What would happen IRL if the manager said, "I had a perfectly good tactic to use against thir 4-2-4 but I forgot to use it"?

Initially I tried to preserve leads by adopting defensive tactics and moderate time-wasting for the last 10-or-so minutes of matches.

I stopped doing that because it seemed to prompt the AI into scoring.

Also, the AI would often score an equaliser while I was waiting to bring on a Defender for an Attacker - a process that I couldn't reverse now that I needed to icon_mad.gif

Am I the only one who feels that the original poster might have known it was their fault (in fact they admit to it a couple of posts later) and instead just wanted to vent?

I do that quite a lot, as my house find out when i run round the house screaming obscenities at anyone and everyone at half past three in the morning. So maybe we should just give them the benefit of the doubt eh?

didnt take long to get someone one to say stop complaining did it?

And if a real manager "forgot" to change tactics mid-game to suit the oppo, I'm sure he would face the consequences too. icon_rolleyes.gif

Kevin Macara, renowned football journalist and author: 'Ramos adjusted the way they (Tottenham v Chelsea) played throughout the game: When they were under pressure, he made them more defensive, when they were on top, he had players pushing on. As all top class managers do.'

- Guardian Unlimited, Football Weekly (current pod)

Ref: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/series/footballweekly

So basically, if you fail to change your tactics over the course of the match, expect to loose every single time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Norville Rodgers:

I once forgot to put my shoes on before going into town, and i stood on a thistle. Lesson learnt.

Funny how the threads that begin with a mad rant always generate the most replies. Whenever someone asks a legitimate, reasonable question, about 3 replies appear icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was thinking about this the other day icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Norville Rodgers:

I once forgot to put my shoes on before going into town, and i stood on a thistle. Lesson learnt.

Funny how the threads that begin with a mad rant always generate the most replies. Whenever someone asks a legitimate, reasonable question, about 3 replies appear icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly because we don't always know the answers to the questions, but we always know how to answer the ventings. icon_biggrin.gif

Because most people are ****ing *******?

Not to put too finer a point on it. icon14.gif

It was kind of a rant icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it was clearly a rant about myself tho, but people cant seem to grasp that

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by playmaker:

It's not really the game's fault that you forgot to counter the AI tactics is it?

I really don't see what grounds you have for any complaint at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This whole thread brings up one of the classic lines in software development:

"Its not a bug. Its a feature!!"

Pilgrims v Pilgrims

I didn't forget to counter the 4-2-4 but they equalised.

Then, having equalised away from home, they carried on in 4-2-4.

Having just substituted an SC for a DC, and a MC for a DM, and switched to a defensive, narrow, moderate time-wasting, 5-4-1 all I could do was watch helplessly until they scored the winner in the very last minute of stoppage time icon_frown.gif

It is a bit annoying - counter-tactic or not - that the AI goes 4-2-4 with 10 mins normal time and conjures up 2 goals (just enough to win!).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Squirmy Rooter 2.0:

"Quoted For Truth".

I've always thought this would be invaluable. I think years back I might have posted a suggestion about having tick-boxes for various conditions under which the game would automatically pause and allow you to go to the tactics screen, such as opposition formation change, sending off, penalty etc. Although I probably just did my usual trick of typing it out and then having second thoughts and pressing close. icon_smile.gif

Back in the days when I still thought man-marking was a good idea, it would drive me nuts that my two central defenders would man mark the 2 oppo strikers, only for them to stick a 3rd totally unmarked player up front without me knowing until it was too late.

When people only get chance to play the game for 45mins a day on their lunchbreaks etc., then it's not unreasonable that they want to play using extended or key highlights. Unfortunately I think that when you do this, it is too easy to miss such vital information. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see what your saying, really realistic. I was wondering why everytime a sub came on in the league cup final Ramos would whisper something to Grant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GreenEagle16:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Squirmy Rooter 2.0:

"Quoted For Truth".

When people only get chance to play the game for 45mins a day on their lunchbreaks etc., then it's not unreasonable that they want to play using extended or key highlights. Unfortunately I think that when you do this, it is too easy to miss such vital information. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see what your saying, really realistic. I was wondering why everytime a sub came on in the league cup final Ramos would whisper something to Grant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you've completely missed the point they are making.

They are saying they are not aware of substitutions and formation changes until a subsequent key highlight occurs - which could be many minutes later or even a goal.

This is unrealistic - Grant was able to watch the game in full so he could see when substitutions and tactical changes were being made as they happened.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Half-time Orange:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GreenEagle16:

"Quoted For Truth".

I see what your saying, really realistic. I was wondering why everytime a sub came on in the league cup final Ramos would whisper something to Grant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you've completely missed the point they are making.

They are saying they are not aware of substitutions and formation changes until a subsequent key highlight occurs - which could be many minutes later or even a goal.

This is unrealistic - Grant was able to watch the game in full so he could see when substitutions and tactical changes were being made as they happened. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And so can they...

I`m with Half-time Orange on this one. He`s not suggesting that you get informed when the opposition tweaks its creative freedom slightly or makes similar minoe adjustments, but that you should be informed when they change the formation of the team. In real life, everyone in the stadium would notice immediately if the opposition were to bring on two extra strikers with ten minutes to go and switch to an attacking 424, so it would be agood idea if your assistant were to point this out to you in the game as soon as it happened...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Iwan Owen:

I`m with Half-time Orange on this one. He`s not suggesting that you get informed when the opposition tweaks its creative freedom slightly or makes similar minoe adjustments, but that you should be informed when they change the formation of the team. In real life, everyone in the stadium would notice immediately if the opposition were to bring on two extra strikers with ten minutes to go and switch to an attacking 424, so it would be agood idea if your assistant were to point this out to you in the game as soon as it happened... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although I understand your point I still don't agree. For everyone in the stadium might see it EXCEPT for the manager if he has chosen for the ass man to tell him when something key happens.

I have no problem with the AI switching to 424 or whatever they decide to do - but as previously said I would love to know what 'sliders' they adjust to suddenly rip of their shirts and become a team of supermen, no matter who they are or how crap they are.

'Tis a baffling one!

i believe AI starts playing much more aggressive putting pressure on every player in your team.

so if you don't adjust as i don't do it most of times (it's much more of a thriller icon_smile.gif then your laid back players who are set on slow tempo game with low concentration often lose their heads and start freakin' on the pitch creating even more pressure.

sometimes AI succede sometimes not. usually depending on your countering.

going down the wings, pushing your CF's to sides combined with high tempo and direct passing does the trick and kills them off.

bringing on strong DM also helps just as keeping fullbacks at defensive mentality and rare forward runs.

any more suggestions on countering 424 AI?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone tried using the 4-2-4 against AI? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Long passing, All Out Attack. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Re the issue of conceding - yes, when they go all-out attack on you even crappy teams appear much better than they should. This is of course part of the simulation, ie, how the 2D engine interprets the "all pile on" instruction, same as the shots-on-goal ratio was an interpretation of "stop scoring so many".

There are plenty of people on here - myself included - who successfully defend against this almost every time the AI tries it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> They are saying they are not aware of substitutions and formation changes until a subsequent key highlight occurs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the split-view screen when the match engine isn't running and one of the panes ALWAYS has the opposition formation showing from the kick-off.

Although I understand your point I still don't agree. For everyone in the stadium might see it EXCEPT for the manager if he has chosen for the ass man to tell him when something key happens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "AssMan informs you" is an interpretation of what they want to happen.

What people want is kind of the same thing as what happens when one of your players get injured of red carded: an opportunity to react. This is much more of a user interface issue than a "real life" equivalent of an AssMan who tugs on your sleeve.

Not everybody has the opportunity to watch full matches. Everybody accepts that when you watch a full match, you'll get better insight in the match than just watching highlights. I just want to be able to tell the interface that when the match engine produces certain "straightforward observable" events (e.g. cards, injuries, subs, or formation changes) to switch to the tactics screen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by delibey:

The AI should try to attack, but the number of 4-2-4s is simply not realistic. Every bloody team goes into a mad frenzy and uses 4-2-4 when losing near the end. You just don't see that quite as much. I don't remember seeing any team throw in 4 forwards and go so attacking anytime recently. Any plain old 4-4-2 with attacking mentality and the wingers moving to AML/R with arrows to FL/R should be enough, and realistic for that matter. I've really seen enough of this after seeing a lower league Romanian team try it on me in a friendly. Not that it can't be countered but it's not realistic and needs tweaking down for future games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hull did recently in a game they were losing. Got a draw in the end.

Lost count of the number of times Vidic or Hyppia has been sent up front to chase a game late on.

I think it happens quite a lot to be honest

as backpackant said - there is a very simple solution - set one of the split view panes to the opposition formation - you don't need to have it like this the whole game - only from about the 70th minute on if you only want to see when the AI switches to the dreaded 424

Archived