Height Prejudice...

They say the first step in solving an problem, is to admit you have a problem...

So here we go...

My name is Alex and i am a height'ist.

I find it extremely difficult to accept and sign a GK or a CB if they are of a height lower than 6.ft.2

I know it's wrong, they could be just as good or even better than GK/CB's >6ft2 and they are people just like me and you...but i just can't sign them!

Whether they get recommended to me, i scout them or they have all the stat requirements i desire, if they are under that size, i have an issue.

I have missed out on many future stars because of this...i just like my GK to be a monster between the sticks!

Please tell me i'm not alone...

I once bought a really tall and big winger (200cm+). He got good stats all around but he looks slow and sluggish whenever i play him.

My small AMF looks fast, super agile when played in the same team. I was convinced that i wasnt hallucinating and height/weight play a part.

I actually try to break the norm as much as possible. Between two equal CBs, if one is 190cm, and the other is 169cm, I'll get the latter (obviously impossible, since the 169cm will probably have very low jumping.)

My 202cm winger is mediocre compared to the rest of the team, but I bring him on when I've got matches wrapped up, as a cult hero.

Height in the game only determines when a player jumps for the ball. A 5'2' player with 20 jumping will beat a 6'6' player with 5 jumping 99 times out of 100 :)

But if the researchers have followed the guidelines for rating jumping such a thing would never happen.

I make a point of having a max of 3 players in any 11 I send onto the pitch that don't have a good jumping attribute. If there's one thing I can't stand it's conceding stupid set piece goals. Almost always 2 wingers and 1 striker, I don't like not winning the ball from goal kicks.

I'm heightist. I won't sign a CB or GK under that height either. I'll very rarely get a striker under 6'0 either. To be honest I want my wingers and full backs to be tall too. So they can win the balls in the corners of the pitch better(I know height doesn't determine how good a player is in the air, but you know what I mean). The only place I'll be comfortable with a short player is in the centre. Though that said, on my current game, My midfield Diamond has 3 6'0 plus people in it, one of them being 6'5.

I still don't get it.

If height offers no benefit whatsoever (may offer tiny positives that i'm unaware of) then why would you take a worse player over a better player just because one is 5"9 and the other is 6"1? To me it's madness..

The average height of my squad is 5"11 but I just don't see a difference at all :confused:

And this isn't a good example at all but you understand what I'm getting at:

Out of these two would you genuinely take Janssen (Just some random guy I got from creating a scout filter out of Amador) over Amador just because of height? (I'm going by this as if Amador is clearly the better player, which imo he is)

victorjanssenprofileatt.png

vctoramadorprofileattri.png

Always have to CB's and GK's over 6 foot. Just seems essential to me unless a defender who is 5'10/5'11 is some sort of wonder defender. Apart from that, all other positions, I don't really mind. Although my ideal would be.

GK - 6'3

RB - 5'11

CB - 6'2

CB - 6'0

LB - 5'11

RM - 5'9

CM - 6'0

CM - 5'10

LM - 5'9

ST - 6'0

ST - 5'9/10...

Not that I mind small players at all but that's my ideal.

I still don't get it.

If height offers no benefit whatsoever (may offer tiny positives that i'm unaware of) then why would you take a worse player over a better player just because one is 5"9 and the other is 6"1? To me it's madness..

The average height of my squad is 5"11 but I just don't see a difference at all :confused:

And this isn't a good example at all but you understand what I'm getting at

Just a bit of fun with the thread really!

But honestly, i know it has no bearing on the ME etc, its just aesthetic to me! :thup:

Well, I'm 188cm tall (about 6' 2'' I think, not really good with imperial measures), and I never sign CB smaller than 182-3cm. Also my Target Man has to be at least 180cm tall.

But, in my current game with Napoli, the only disadvantage I've got against almost all teams in league is height. So, if they're not very tall, at least they're quick, so pace counts also :)

Fair enough, didn't mean to rain on your parade :D

Just was completely confused as to why you people do it, it's almost as if you have a fear of people under 6ft.

In relation to your first post though you asked what player i would take out of the two you screenied...

Well i'd obviously take the better one regardless of his height because they aren't GK's or CB's which my thread was about! :p its just goalies and centre backs i like to be tall!

Always have to CB's and GK's over 6 foot. Just seems essential to me unless a defender who is 5'10/5'11 is some sort of wonder defender. Apart from that' date=' all other positions, I don't really mind. Although my ideal would be.

GK - 6'3

RB - 5'11

CB - 6'2

CB - 6'0

LB - 5'11

RM - 5'9

CM - 6'0

CM - 5'10

LM - 5'9

ST - 6'0

ST - 5'9/10...

Not that I mind small players at all but that's my ideal.[/quote']

So your tallest outfield player is only 6'2? Seems a bit weak to me.

In relation to your first post though you asked what player i would take out of the two you screenied...

Well i'd obviously take the better one regardless of his height because they aren't GK's or CB's which my thread was about! :p its just goalies and centre backs i like to be tall!

Oh right sorry, didn't even realize that.

Up until last year I would never sign a GK or CD under 6 ft. If one came through the youth I would get rid straight away, or retrain him in a new pos. That was before I was told it made no difference. It should though imo.

Up until last year I would never sign a GK or CD under 6 ft. If one came through the youth I would get rid straight away, or retrain him in a new pos. That was before I was told it made no difference. It should though imo.

It *does* though. Not that height directly correlates to jumping, but the game now takes into account player height when generating the jumping stat.

For example, Tim Cahill used to have jumping of 18 in previous FMs, but in FM11 he only has jumping of 14 due to his 178cm/5"10 height. Think of height as a 'cap' of the jumping stat. So taller players are more likely to have a higher jumping stat than shorter players, which is fair enough.

I still don't get it.

And this isn't a good example at all but you understand what I'm getting at:

Out of these two would you genuinely take Janssen (Just some random guy I got from creating a scout filter out of Amador) over Amador just because of height? (I'm going by this as if Amador is clearly the better player, which imo he is)

]

Amador has lower jumping, and that reflects that he is shorter. I'm not keen on centre backs who won't win headers tbh, though I look at jumping, not height.

I try to get both centre backs average height of 6ft.

Say I have a fast CB who is 5 ft 10, I would partner him with a 6ft 2 CB...

Only started looking at the heights of Centre backs when I conceded from a lot of goals from corners due to my tallest defender being 6ft. (His partner was 5'10'')

Archived