Whats your biggest mistake in football manager?

As the title says,

Share the biggest mistake you've ever made...

I'll get the ball rolling,

Back in FM2007 i took Napoli to a Champo Leageo final against Lyon in a Journeyman save i had, completley fluked it, we had a poor team in terms of Champo leagueo standards.

A day before the final Lyon approach me offering me the managers job as thier manager took the helm for the national team.

I accept and go on to lose to Napoli 3-0

I spent the evening sucking eggs.

Leaving my Liverpool team 2 seasons before they got a 110000 seater stadium which got named after my successor. Who wasn't even a quarter of the way as successful as me. If I'd seen out 2 more years I'd have had it! Was boss from 2021-2029, should have stayed till 2031. In fairness, I'd been asking for one for years, only to hear no as the answer, despite having oodles of cash(they took some off me we were that well off)

My biggest tactical mistake happened in the semi final of the UEFA cup back on FM08. Leading 4 nil from the first leg against Barca I decided to rest some players fro the league run in. Long story short, reserve keeper match rating 4 end result Barca 7 DRFC 1

Lesson learned.

In FM2009, taken my team Grimsby Town to two successive play off finishes but lost in both finals and became MK Dons manager in a knee jerk reaction of frustration. Dave Penney took over and I sucked at the dons and begged to go back! Should have stayed and give it another go and gone on to get back where we belong. The Championship♥

Don't think I've really had that many. On one of the older ones when I had Wesley Sonck and Salvatore Foti fire my Sheffield Wednesday squad to third in the Premier League I think I ended up having to replace one of them, for whatever reason, with Jon Dahl Tomasson. Never worked. Also on FM2009 when Robinho left my Man City team I needed someone in as back up and got Vicenzo Iaquinta. Didn't work either :(

Back on Fm 08 when Mika AAritalo sp? was just amazing I had him at Newcastle. We were playing for a CL spot and I played him even with very low fitness, well we lost and he damaged his knee out 12 months. Was never the same when came back and even ended up retiring around age 28.

In my FM10 Athletic Bilbao saves there were a couple times when I didn't up the minimum release clauses of some youngsters I had poached and they were bought from me after a season or two by other clubs. It caught me completely off guard and I had to scramble to find replacements, I can think of one time it happened but I believe it happened twice. Honestly, one year after I won the title a great defender of mine was snapped up by Lazio. After he left, we didn't win the title but as soon as I found a replacement with similar attributes the next season, we won the title and stayed there.

on my spanish career save started with hercules made uefa cup in second season then took an offer at deportivo whod been relegated but had just had a tycoon takeover ...perfect

few seasons later i win la liga all great and well, at teh end of the season i decide a regen despite my assitants reports, was not good enough to ever break into my first team, instead purcharsed a different young regen striker, 3 years later finally made the champs league final,

1-0 up in 89th minute only for my regen to score and own goal and take it into extra time, ...were the regen i deemed not good enough came of the bench for man utd and banged in 2 goals in 10 minutes crushing my dreams and leaving me feeling inept, ..before going onto score 40 odd goals and win world player of the year award the following season while the guy i signed to replace him only managed 4 goals in his next 38 league games

on fm08 managing austria, and in first game of euro 2008 i was playing france, and lead 4-1 at half time, i told the players "don't expect your performance to drop" and within 3 minutes of the restart i could tell we had just imploded. we lost 5-4. went out with 1 point from 3 games. truly awful team talk. so costly!

With my Atletico CP team, selling my young star Rui Faria, who had emerged from the youth team and been good enough for the first team at 15 years old. He performed miracles for me, player of the year 5 years running, back to back promotions and then when he asked to leave I sold him for 200k only for him to get sold on a year later for £8 million. Was gutted I didn't have a sell on clause.

Beating Madrid 4 - 0 at home, needed to go to the Bernabeau and nick a goal to cement it so I played on the counter attack. Ronaldo had the game of his life against me and they were 5 - 0 up at half time. They went on to win it at 6 - 4 on agg. I just couldn't do anything to stop the onslaught of Madrid's attack.

Leaving my last save game from FM10. I should have carried on, I was really enjoying it. After 8 successful years with Dortmund I went off to rescue Cruzeiro from a slump in the Brazilian 2nd division. A good season and a promotion I decided to have a look back in England. Leicester had not been higher than 8th in the Championship for 20 years and have never been relegated. We got the FA Cup SF and won the league. I quit to look for my next rescue mission and was distracted by FM11. I should have stuck with it, it was a great save: Columbus Crew, QPR, Tigres, Napoli, Celtic, Dortmund, Cruzeiro, Leicester and a few international teams thrown in. I played that save for 59 days.

In FM 10 I brought Notts County to the championship,got offered the Aston Villa job and had one of my most enjoyable games ever and then got offered the Barca job took it and got really bored so I stopped playin the game til FM11 came out :(

I can recall this last year

actually found a thread with the players I regret selling so will post them here.

I remember, I was Villa and I didn't need these players so I just decided to offload them for tiny fees, regardless to say they went on to be amazing. Hasselbaink constantly won just about every award going...

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7531/9leonelfigueroa.png

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/8289/6pauchunho.png

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/9323/7mohammedtraor.png

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/1108/9renhasselbaink2.png

Archived