Pitch sizes

I'm from the US, so please forgive my ignorance, but could anyone explain to me why in european soccer (maybe soccer everywhere, i'm not sure) there are different pitch sizes? I'm pretty sure in basketball, baseball and american football all fields are the same size in relation to their sports.

How much difference do different sizes of pitch have on match performance anyways? I know that wide, direct tactics would work well with large pitch, and narrow, possession tactics work with small pitch. But does it decide on the outcome of a match?

How much difference do different sizes of pitch have on match performance anyways? I know that wide, direct tactics would work well with large pitch, and narrow, possession tactics work with small pitch. But does it decide on the outcome of a match?

of course it can. If a team plays its natural game wide, especially against a team that likes to defend centrally, playing on a wide pitch is going to benefit hugely and visa-versa. Just one example of many :p

Teams like Man Utd play on a big long wide pitch, because it suits them.

Teams like Stoke play a narrow pitch - because they attack from throw-ins.

Smaller clubs tend to have short and narrower pitches simply because of the cost involved.

No doubt Arsenal's pitch is the size Wenger recommended for their style of play.

Archived