Football Manager has surpassed the historic PcFutbol?

DJ9

It actually wasn't, as far as I know - it was developed in Spain and for the most part only released there in any great shape or form.

Was a huge seller there a few years ago, mostly because of it's price and distribution method. The game itself was good in terms of data but appalling in terms of interface and bugs.

It actually wasn't, as far as I know - it was developed in Spain and for the most part only released there in any great shape or form.

Was a huge seller there a few years ago, mostly because of it's price and distribution method. The game itself was good in terms of data but appalling in terms of interface and bugs.

...said the unbiased observer :rolleyes:

In some years ago I have view PC Fútbol in some Portuguese stores.

The early editions of PcFutbol were fun but lacked depth both in terms of database (usually only one playable league, with one or two divisions; few players parameters) and in terms of simulation... It was common having totally different results depending if you watched the highlights or just went for the instant result; and most of the games felt really random.

Later editions were better, but it was too late as the same amount of leagues (and more) were available on CM anyway, and the randomness factor wasn't really gone.

Still, credit to PcFutbol for introducing some interesting ideas CM/FM took years to implement... First and foremost Specific sub-roles (aka AMR, WBL, LCM, Playmaker), Season expectations, extended contract negotiations (with the chance of offering the player a house and a car).

Also, sad to say, the managerial turnover was much better in PcFutbol 6/7 some odd 10-12 years ago than it is nowadays in FM2011... (but the same can be said about Premier Manager 3, so... ;))

What gave it away, the SEGA in the name, or the SEGA on the avatar...:)

Doesn't change the facts tho. In terms of usability, the game was a shocker... which was a shame because in content terms it was enjoyable.

As far as usability goes, it wasn't bad at all... O_o

As far as bugs went, then.... yeeeeah, it was pretty much bug-ridden.

Player manager had some nice features, like how it would search for players based on a percentage value you put on certain attributes, also had very nice way of developing players and a 3d match engine around 5 years before FM did, Premier Manager was an enjoyable game as well. Never played PcFutbol unfortunatly, My inability to speak spanish would result in a lot of confusion.

I loved Player Manager (2 & 2000) and Ultimate Soccer Manager (2 & 98), although USM had more unrealistic features that only the board would deal with, such as building the stadium and setting merchandise prices, but it was mega fun. I don't remember having to do that in Player Manager.

I played Tracksuit Manager, Player Manager, Premier Manager and LMA Manager on the PS1 an awful lot.

There is life outside of FM and I think currently not having any real competition to speak of doesn't really help SI. Although I like the game at the moment if someone else was also coming up with a quality product, the extra competition could probably have helped motivate SI.

in italy there was a game called PC Calcio, i don't know if it was the italian version of pcfutbol (but probably yes). have to say that it was good in terms of data and match simulation, but had a lot of bugs. My favourite football simulation before the CM/FM series was a game called (at least in italy) The Manager (Kron Software, 1991)

Archived