'Natural' Position Question

If a player is natural at a position yet plays at another position in the team's normal formation, how effective will the player be if you decide to play him at the original natural position just before or during a match? If there is a reduced performance level, how long will it take before things are 'natural' again?

Thanks.

James 33 is mostly right. I have a talented natural MR who starts there in my 4-4-2 diamond. He is also a natural AMC. In certain match situations, I would like to move him to AMC and use another player at MR. Will there be a dropoff in performance at AMC for the player in question, even though he is a natural at the position but does not usually play there? If there is a dropoff, how long will it take for the player to be at his 'natural' level of performance at AMC?

I don't think anyone from SI has ever specifically said how it works and I doubt they would but I would assume there is a modification to certain attributes in the match engine when a player is placed in a given position.

So if you think of their visible profile as their 'natural position attributes' then putting them in a lower rated position probably causes a decrease in these attributes.

So for example if a natural DM C has positioning in his profile of 20 then when placed in the DM C position in a formation whenever positioning is used in a calculation 20 will be the input value. But if said DM C has a positional rating of awkward as a centre back then playing him as a centre back his positioning attribute gets modified to reflect this so that he doesn't perform like a natural centre back with 20 positioning.

originally posted by atcdelay:-

I have a talented natural MR who starts there in my 4-4-2 diamond. He is also a natural AMC. In certain match situations, I would like to move him to AMC and use another player at MR. Will there be a dropoff in performance at AMC for the player in question, even though he is a natural at the position but does not usually play there? If there is a dropoff, how long will it take for the player to be at his 'natural' level of performance at AMC?

My own guess on it would that be that being a natural means there would be no effect even if he hasn't played there all season. I think the storing of positions played for a given season is used in adjusting positional ratings and weaker foot in conjunction with training a new position.

But that is just a guess so you're going to have to treat it as a simulation. You're the manager, make the decision and try it out. If his performance takes a hit then you need to figure out if that is just a coincidence (quality of opponents, quality of team mates, morale effects, wrong team talk, your tactical settings, etc.) or if he does just play better as an MR. Then you have to decide whether or not to accommodate this new right winger or not.

You can see the difference if you use the GenieScout editor - there is a screen telling you the player's effectiveness in EVERY position.

Basically it depends on the player's versatility and the specific position. If he is listed as 'accomplished' he will be almost as effective. If he's 'competent' maye 5% less so and so on.

Without 'cheating' by using the editor it takes trial and error as in real life.

• SI Staff

As a database researcher, players have hidden attributes that you can't see in game but in the editor you can. Versatility is a hidden attribute that contributes to it, as well as preferred foot etc amongst other things. If the versatility is high, they should be more comfortable in playing in positions that aren't displayed on "Positions Screen".

Archived