Customize positions? Something for the future?

Take the striker position...

On the basic tactics screen, say a 4-4-2, click on one of the front two and you get the opportunity to make one say a target man, one a poacher.

Could it not be possible to adapt a 'Customized Role' for any position but lets just say strikers for now?

I've come about this idea from two reasons.

1. We can customize tactic formations with reasonable flexibility - though I'd like to be able to place players with a greater degree of flexibility across the pitch.

2. I often have players that nearly fit the role, i.e Target Man but they lack two of the highlighted key stats

Would it not be possible to create your own striker (or any other position) role and call it what you want and make it fit around your players stats?

Drop down menus to assist in creating how you want the player to play etc?

I think tactics on the whole could be really modified and if so, this is something you could really get stuck into and the possibilities could be endless.

Managers IRL do create new roles for players...Messi is a prime example, Guardiola basically re-created a new role in a team, just for him.

You can essentially do this by modifying the sliders etc. by clicking Advanced when you've selected a position in the tactics screen. You probably already know that, but just in case!

I agree that it would be useful to be able to save those settings into a custom defined role which you could then select whenever you bring a player on, for example. The only problem with it at the moment is that changing match strategy or using touchline shouts will not modify the custom instructions you've given to a player. So you could tell your team to play Contain and yet your striker might still be playing with an Attacking mentality that you'd set previously. I think that hurdle needs to be overcome first.

Yes, I do know there is a certain degree of customising one can do, but in the modern era and in the game, I think it could be a hugely improved.

Certainly it could be more viewable to the eye, instead of sliders etc...

Actually defining exactly what you want a player to do...

At the minute, we're very limited on player instructions.

You ought to be able to assign a player tactical settings, click on a button labeled "Export settings", type in a name for the role, and then be able to use the same tactical settings whenever you want. Sure you can edit the XML but it's an unnecessarily roundabout approach when there's a much simpler solution.

I also think that FM needs to look at the PES approach, as with the removal of arrows the whole positioning of players is terrible (in the sense of you have no/extremely limited control, and that's a big step back).

Id love ot be able to do it the same way as PES, e.g. having a striker slightly deeper than the other, and by right clicking being able to assign a position then a role. I think its also time the second striker was introduced.

I'd have loved to have saved my "Neymar" role on FM10. I made it when I signed him for Basel. It was Trequarista originally, with a few changes here and there, to make him very poacher like at the same time. Scored goals and played assists for fun. But I moved to Sevilla, signed him when I got there, and completely forgot what I did. I had to experiment a bit to remember.

I'd have loved to have saved my "Neymar" role on FM10. I made it when I signed him for Basel. It was Trequarista originally, with a few changes here and there, to make him very poacher like at the same time. Scored goals and played assists for fun. But I moved to Sevilla, signed him when I got there, and completely forgot what I did. I had to experiment a bit to remember.

Exactly this sort of thing but more enhanced than it is now and option to actually NAME the role you've created.

Tactics must be high on the SI list of things to change for new versions of the game, it's way too limited as it is and tactics is pretty much the most important part of this game.

Perhaps two modes - 1 as it is now and 1 for more advanced users who want to get really in depth.

Archived