Signing British youth abroad.

Is it possible?

I ask as my Roma team, who are currently European champions, is unable to attract top talent from England despite playing for "lesser" clubs, i.e. Norwich, Man City (lower rep than me), Everton etc. These players have the opportunity to work with some of the best players in the world in their positions, with one of them probably pushing a starting place, yet they don't even want to hear what I have to offer.

Is it just Serie A has a lower rep than the Prem (4*'s to the EPL's 4.5*'s) or do they not want to leave their home country, I have checked peronals screen's and none of them have their clubs as favoured so that isn't it.

Thanks to anyone who can answer this, although it won't make them sign for me :(

The stars is the key.

They play in a better league than you. While they have a chance of making it there, they will try.

I made the bundesliga a 4.5 star league, along with the EPL. Now, I am managing in Spain and I can't get anyone from Germany.

You don't get a huge number of English players moving abroad in real life, so I wonder if it is hardcoded in that English players tend to stay in England?

Exactly, how many top English players play abroad, i cant think of any, and there are very few of even the lesser ones.

I wanted to sign a 20 year-old English regen free agent who had been released by Manchester United. His agent offered him to me but he refused to even negotiate with me (Werder Bremen, Bundesliga, won the league 3 times in 5 years) and now he's going to sign for either Watford and Peterborough.

Would be great if FM11 is coded so that English players tend to stay in the EPL.

Doesn't happen often irl so if this can be coded to allow only exceptional stars to move to Real, Barca etc... would mirror real life far more than the system in FM10 where you had averge English players all over the world.

It's not JUST the stars, the nationality of someone has an impact on countries they are willing to play in.

However, the stars are the key feature in my opinion. I think of it as 1990's - the 2 four and a half leagues were Serie A and EPL. Last decade I would say EPL and Primera Liga. Now it seems to be the Primera Liga.

In real life we see it a lot - leagues becoming the place to be, and players really being influenced. Look at the players the Serie A attracted a while back - Seedorf, Zanetti etc. Nowadays I would expect those sort of players to go to Spain, or England.

I can think of a few but they are dual nationality. Like Aaron Hunt of Werder Bremen and Eric Dier of Sporting. I think because the youth systems are very good in England, there is no reason for most to want to move.

Thinking British (& Eire) rather than just English, you see several players move abroad. Different points in careers, and different reasons. Should be more common than it is.

Jay Bothroyd, Robbie Keane, Aiden McGeady, Kenny Miller, Owen Hargreaves (Barely English I suppose).

Thinking British (& Eire) rather than just English, you see several players move abroad. Different points in careers, and different reasons. Should be more common than it is.

Jay Bothroyd, Robbie Keane, Aiden McGeady, Kenny Miller, Owen Hargreaves (Barely English I suppose).

Thats 5 examples in the last 10 years. Not many more than that.

Happens rarely irl, happens far more frequently in FM. Personally I would like a cap on it if possible.

There are hundreds (thousands?) of Brits playing abroad. The thing is, it is less likely for those that have made it at the top two leagues in England to move away from England in their prime, while it is the same in Scotland (pet peeve of mine) as they would rather go down to league 1 or 2 than try their hand at Segunda, Serie B or II.Budesliga. Fact of the matter is Brits are seriously poor travellers. Think it should be coded that the adaptability attribute should be rather low for British players nowadays.

Once players hit a over the hill age they seem to move abroad more freely, but that is mainly to English speaking countries (USA, Australia, New Zealand etc.)

Would be great if FM11 is coded so that English players tend to stay in the EPL.

Doesn't happen often irl so if this can be coded to allow only exceptional stars to move to Real, Barca etc... would mirror real life far more than the system in FM10 where you had averge English players all over the world.

At the start of the game perhaps. But if there was some way to relax this over 20 seasons, say for example if Spain players refused to move abroad for a few years and English players started venturing out.

It would be nice to see variety over the years - not necessarily the same nation never having players move abroad.

i wouldn't be surprised if there is a 'willingness to move abroad' stat for youngsters. it is more common for young french/spanish players to come to england than it is the otherway round.

experienced players do move abroad in real life. Beckham,mcmanaman,fowler, robbie keane etc but thats when they're older.

I think there must be something in the british way of thinking that makes youngsters in other countries more willing to move abroad.

Archived