Bosman Ruling

Hi FMH'ers!

Just a post to ask how Bosman transfers work - I know that it's a free transfer of a player coming to the end of his contract, but what are the criteria for it?

Reason I ask is that I don't understand why in the "Expiring" Contract Status search, I can offer contracts to some but not all players, even if their contract expires sooner than ones I have offered for. I'm managing at Burnley in 2014 and I somehow seem to not be able to offer contracts to some random players in the EPL - meaning that I have to wait for their contracts to expire. I think it's a bit unfair that when players become free agents, their wage demands drop so drastically.

Another problem I have is that players say I cannot meet their demands when I want to offer them a contract. Whilst I know there's nothing wrong with that, 9 out of 10 times the player who will not accept a contract with me will go to another team for less than I've offered him. The same happens with most players that I've shown interest in to be honest, often those who are transfer listed - I've missed out on Tevez (29 y/o West Ham £2m) and Nasri (25 y/o Birmingham £2m) this way :(

Cheers for any advice etc.

Adam

For the bosman transfers- you can offer contracts to players from foreign leagues six months before their current contract expires whereas if they are playing in England you can only offer them contracts 2 months in advance rather than 6. And some transfers may be for Free whereas if the player is 21 y/o or younger a compensation fee will be required.

For the bosman transfers- you can offer contracts to players from foreign leagues six months before their current contract expires whereas if they are playing in England you can only offer them contracts 2 months in advance rather than 6. And some transfers may be for Free whereas if the player is 21 y/o or younger a compensation fee will be required.

sums it up nicely :) thankyou Bantam

Hi FMH'ers!

Just a post to ask how Bosman transfers work - I know that it's a free transfer of a player coming to the end of his contract, but what are the criteria for it?

Reason I ask is that I don't understand why in the "Expiring" Contract Status search, I can offer contracts to some but not all players, even if their contract expires sooner than ones I have offered for. I'm managing at Burnley in 2014 and I somehow seem to not be able to offer contracts to some random players in the EPL - meaning that I have to wait for their contracts to expire.

If you search for players who are on an expiring contract, you'll be shown a list of players whose contracts expire within a year. Different leagues have different rules relating to at what point you are allowed to sign players with an expiring contract and that's why you'll find that you can sign some before others.

If playing in England and you intend to poach a player from another English club you'll have to wait until a month before that player's contract expires before you can make your approach. For most other leagues the rule is that you can sign players who have a contract that expires within six months.

I think it's a bit unfair that when players become free agents, their wage demands drop so drastically.

I think it's fair for a player's wage demands to drop (within reason) when they become a free agent. They're going to be a little more desparate to join a new club if they're unemployed. I'll have a look at this to make sure the wage drops aren't too drastic when a player becomes a free agent.

Another problem I have is that players say I cannot meet their demands when I want to offer them a contract. Whilst I know there's nothing wrong with that, 9 out of 10 times the player who will not accept a contract with me will go to another team for less than I've offered him. The same happens with most players that I've shown interest in to be honest, often those who are transfer listed - I've missed out on Tevez (29 y/o West Ham £2m) and Nasri (25 y/o Birmingham £2m) this way :(

I'll also take a look at players rejecting a contract from your club and joining another for less wages but do bare in mind that money isn't everything to a player and so it's not entirely unreasonable for a club of a higher reputation than your own to get a player you were after even if they offer less money.

Thanks for the explanations guys! :)

Should make it a lot easier for me to build a bargain squad now!

Charlie, with the player rejection issue, the main reason I was annoyed with that was because I had won the Champions League in the previous season so I would have expected players to look at me more favourably than West Ham who had no such luck lol. I fully understand that there's more to it than wage packets.

• SI Staff
Should make it a lot easier for me to build a bargain squad now!

Charlie, with the player rejection issue, the main reason I was annoyed with that was because I had won the Champions League in the previous season so I would have expected players to look at me more favourably than West Ham who had no such luck lol. I fully understand that there's more to it than wage packets.

Sometimes a clubs reputation can work negatively when a player evaluates them - for instance a player might prefer to be a big fish in a small pond instead of a bench warmer at a larger club (this is largely dependant on a players personality, ambitious players will generally follow the silverware).

Archived